1...2...3... I'm out!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1...2...3... I'm out!!!

Oh! Irony!

One of the last CFS1-related thing I did was the W7 joystick patch. Well... it works!

I just did the hex editing and, voilà!; my three CH controllers are now showing and gone is that pesky message asking me to change my (whatever) for (whatever else) joystick.

I also know now that CH control manager is not working properly, but it's a "good bad"; better to hit a wall that you see than one that you don't.

Now, lets go fix that CombatFS.cfg file...
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Fixed! I'm on fire!

I have just re-installed AAC Ripe scenery and, taking off from Brooklands, I payed it a visit.

Still looking nice. In fact, it's even nicer without the stuttering I was experiencing with the W98.

BTW- Ivan, I received from your Yahoo address a very weird e-mail yesterday suggesting that I redo the floor of my hangar(s) or something like that. Didn't stay long enough to tell you more as it was ditched promptly. Phising? I don't know, but I suspect someone stole your contact list.

smilo must have a copy as I remember seeing his name on the distribution list. It was really weird...

SOH Staff
    yeah, i got it too.
    except i went ahead and bought the floor refinish.
    i was getting tired of the old grass one.
    besides, it was getting muddy during the winter.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    I have just re-installed AAC Ripe scenery and, taking off from Brooklands, I payed it a visit.

Still looking nice. In fact, it's even nicer without the stuttering I was experiencing with the W98.

BTW- Ivan, I received from your Yahoo address a very weird e-mail yesterday suggesting that I redo the floor of my hangar(s) or something like that. Didn't stay long enough to tell you more as it was ditched promptly. Phising? I don't know, but I suspect someone stole your contact list.

smilo must have a copy as I remember seeing his name on the distribution list. It was really weird...
    Actually, I forwarded that message to you because I thot it was funny. You obviously dint read my comment.
    I have been doing a lot of browsing lately on aircraft, mostly about the P-40.
    Something is obviously tracking some of my browsing because this email sender thinks I run an air fleet and have a Hangar which might need the floor refinished to look better for my customers.
    ;-)
    - Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Actually, I forwarded that message to you because I thot it was funny. You obviously dint read my comment.
    I have been doing a lot of browsing lately on aircraft, mostly about the P-40.
    Something is obviously tracking some of my browsing because this email sender thinks I run an air fleet and have a Hangar which might need the floor refinished to look better for my customers.
    ;-)
    - Ivan.
    I usually throw these message to the bin as fast as I can. I was once attacked by a spoof message that was coming from a legitimate address and was written in such vague terms that, by the time I had finished reading it, my PC was infected by some nasties that took me the rest of the evening to clear.

My mistake, do re-send, now that I know...

We should get some password at the beginning of our e-mails.

No point in resending. The joke isn't funny after explaining the punchline.

Besides, the floor of my Hangar and Repair Facilities may be a bit crowded and disorganised at times, but the finish isn't any worse for wear.

- Ivan.

Avast

No Dice, on 23 April you asked about Avast for anti-virus. I used it for several years and was pleased with it. It seemed to trap viruses in emails and web pages and was not a memory hog. I looked at other programs but Avast was easier to use as well. It didn't have a firewall so I used Zonealarm for that. On my laptop I switched to Kaspersky (which comes free from my bank account) when Zonealarm started having problems dealing with my wifi connection but my Desktop stuck with Avast and Zonealarm until last year when I upgraded to Windows 8. XP laptop died in February and new one is Windows 8 protected by Kaspersky.

Hubbabubba, your piece on hexing CFS1 to get joysticks recognised worked well on both machines. My hate on these Windows 8, started with my Mum's Vista!, was the User Account Control and nanny MS that tries to stop me doing anything different than what they want; I've switched off as much of this as possible.

Ivan, when I was in Washington, thanks for driving me round looking for a sniper scope. Communist China eventually produced the goods and I have got a reproduction German WW2 scope on my Carl Gustav M96. We have very few range days here but managed to get it zeroed for windage beginning of this month. I may have a range day mid-June when I can used it at better distances and get an elevation worked out. I' post a picture sometime. I didn't thank you enough for giving up your time.

Time is my enemy. I always seem to have loads of things to do but not enough time, or the right weather, to do them. I am still waiting for my bosses to pay me not to turn up for work!

Interesting reading all your adventures, even if I rarely make myself known. Great believer in keeping my mouth shut and being thought a fool, rather than opening my mouth and proving it!

D

Thank you Dave,

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Showing that I'm a fool never stopped me, Dave ! Nice to hear from you, and happy to learn that my fix did the trick. Your comments had me check my W7 built-in firewall; only one port open, but that was one port too many. So I downloaded and installed ZoneAlarm to patch things up. I'm now close for (bad) business.

Ivan, I had my first spam e-mails today (first real ones, I mean...). Both were of the same type; Apple (from which I have nothing) and an obscure "Financial Bank" had seen that my accounts had been tampered with by an IP coming, oh my God!, from Russia. So, unless I didn't wanted my privileges to be suspended (it sound quite ominous, brrrr...), I should kindly click on the link they so graciously provided to confirm my actual residence. And some people do fell for that; pity!

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cumming View Post
    No Dice, on 23 April you asked about Avast for anti-virus. I used it for several years and was pleased with it. It seemed to trap viruses in emails and web pages and was not a memory hog. I looked at other programs but Avast was easier to use as well. It didn't have a firewall so I used Zonealarm for that. On my laptop I switched to Kaspersky (which comes free from my bank account) when Zonealarm started having problems dealing with my wifi connection but my Desktop stuck with Avast and Zonealarm until last year when I upgraded to Windows 8. XP laptop died in February and new one is Windows 8 protected by Kaspersky.

Hubbabubba, your piece on hexing CFS1 to get joysticks recognised worked well on both machines. My hate on these Windows 8, started with my Mum's Vista!, was the User Account Control and nanny MS that tries to stop me doing anything different than what they want; I've switched off as much of this as possible.

Ivan, when I was in Washington, thanks for driving me round looking for a sniper scope. Communist China eventually produced the goods and I have got a reproduction German WW2 scope on my Carl Gustav M96. We have very few range days here but managed to get it zeroed for windage beginning of this month. I may have a range day mid-June when I can used it at better distances and get an elevation worked out. I' post a picture sometime. I didn't thank you enough for giving up your time.

Time is my enemy. I always seem to have loads of things to do but not enough time, or the right weather, to do them. I am still waiting for my bosses to pay me not to turn up for work!

Interesting reading all your adventures, even if I rarely make myself known. Great believer in keeping my mouth shut and being thought a fool, rather than opening my mouth and proving it!

D
    reading your post, it seems to me,
    that you have plenty of helpful information
    stated in an intelligent manner.

i, for one, am sorry to see your comment in red.
    there is no doubt that many here subscribe
    to this line of thought or something close to it.

all one needs to do is take look
    at the nearly 1000 views of this thread
    and, at this point, having only 36 replies by 5 people.
    sadly, much of the same goes for the entire cfs forum.
    there are plenty of thread views with very few people posting replies.
    small wonder the few who post on this forum
    become discouraged and wonder if anyone cares.

sorry Dave, i'm with hubba on this one.
    as i see it, worrying about being perceived as foolish
    is like being at a party and just sitting there watching.

for all you wall flowers;
    long ago, a good friend once asked me,
    are you a man or a mouse?
    squeak up!

sometimes it doesn't.

I obviously stand corrected!

I am very happy to add to any threads if I think I can make a positive contribution; I see more than enough message forums where most people seem to want to add a comment to get their own message count increased but it makes it the thread longer and longer with no added information.

I am amazed at the success that you have all been having creating various models and it shows the mass of information that you have learnt. Someday I may try to do the same, if I could manage my time better to find a couple of hours each day or if I eventually retire.

I am more of a logic person, than artistic, and have spent more time in trying to fix missions that have bugs in them, than anything else. If anyone has problems in this area please let me know and i can try to help.

Dave

I obviously stand corrected! I am very happy to add to any threads if I think I can make a positive contribution; I see more than enough message forums where most people seem to want to add a comment to get their own message count increased but it makes it the thread longer and longer with no added information. I am amazed at the success that you have all been having creating various models and it shows the mass of information that you have learnt. Someday I may try to do the same, if I could manage my time better to find a couple of hours each day or if I eventually retire. I am more of a logic person, than artistic, and have spent more time in trying to fix missions that have bugs in them, than anything else. If anyone has problems in this area please let me know and i can try to help. Dave
    I'm a "jack of all trades" (that's what "touche à tout" means in French), but missions making is not one of them so, Dave, one simple question; where to start? Feel free to start your own thread on the subject.

SOH Staff
    here, here!
    as always, i agree.

i am surprised No_Dice hasn't chimed in, yet.
    as i recall, he's always looking for mission builders.

here's a suggestion;
    how about a spit v's taking off from the wasp in the med
    and flying to reinforce malta mission?
    of course, there will be axis "obstacles" along the route.

No_Dice has a nice Italy/ Mediterranean scenery package.
    there is a decent spit v available.
    (and a shameless plug)
    i have a take off/landable wasp in the med group available.

--------------------

back to the thread topic;....sort of.
    has anyone encountered the latest
    windows internet explorer virus
    that's supposedly going around,
    or is it just another scare tactic?

just once, i would like to encounter
    one of these perpetrators face to face
    just to see how they would like
    wiping their a$$ with a hook.

yes, it's a wee bit draconian,
    but what the hell,
    i bet it would get their attention
    and would surely let them know
    that screwing with people is not acceptable.
    sometimes it doesn't.

I was going to suggest the same missions, You beat me to it.

May I also suggest a few missions based around an Arado AR196 A3
    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Smilos.htm

I could also use a CFS2 mission writer for my up and coming Vietnam Air War scenery
    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Vietnam_Projects.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    (...)
    --------------------

back to the thread topic;....sort of.
    has anyone encountered the latest
    windows internet explorer virus
    that's supposedly going around,
    or is it just another scare tactic?

just once, i would like to encounter
    one of these perpetrators face to face
    just to see how they would like
    wiping their a$$ with a hook.

yes, it's a wee bit draconian,
    but what the hell,
    i bet it would get their attention
    and would surely let them know
    that screwing with people is not acceptable.
    I must say that M$ did use some common sense on that matter. The "critical update" to patch all flavors of IE was available at noon yesterday for all Windows OS, XP included!

My day was literally going from one PC to another, updating different machines with their respective updates.

But it's done now.

SOH Staff
    simply shocking!

hard to believe that ms has backtracked on this one.
    when i woke up my machine this morning,
    i saw that it had automatically restarted after an update.
    it, honestly, made me a bit nervous,
    but, what the hell, it was done.
    i wasn't aware that there was a ms xp update.
    i'll say thank you for it.

after many years as a loyal ms customer
    and a firm believer that they were the best show in town,
    i have become, more than a little,
    irritated with it's corporate policies.

oddly, i don't have a problem with making money,
    but, i don't like being forced or scared
    into upgrading to a new operating system
    or having to go out and buy a new computer
    so i can run the new operating system
    which will be obsolete in a few years.

if i could find a suitable alternative,
    i think i would give it a whirl.

oh yeah, this morning i got an email
    telling me i should upgrade my phone
    to windows 8.1 so i can have all these
    jim dandy features i don't want or need.
    right...i'll jump right on that
    sometimes it doesn't.

D
    You're quite welcome, Dave.

I enjoyed the museum trip also. The other stuff was just "Targets of Convenience" because around here, nothing is all that close and there aren't as many Gun shops as you might expect. None of the shops stock much variety because the non-FFL stuff generally doesn't go through retail stores. The place with a lot of AR-15 accessories didn't really qualify as a Gun shop in my opinion. I take it the M96 is a Swede? I might also have a need for a German looking Sniper telescope for a beast I picked up a couple years ago. It was great running into someone else who has an interest in rifles.

The lack of any kind of response in some of the threads sometimes makes me wonder if the subject being discussed is of interest to anyone. I know I have posted a few threads on a specific item of research without ever knowing whether the many visitors were only accidental. I know that even when I get something wrong, seldom does anyone point it out.

Take Care.
    - Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 29