IP games threads: Some "whys" answered...

Thread: IP games threads: Some "whys" answered...

Question IP games threads: Some "whys" answered...

The question has been asked...

WHY ARE WE THE " DUMP" THREAD? WE HAVE ALOT OF DISCUSSIONS HERE TOO. TRYING TO SAVE BANDWITH ON JUST OUR THREAD? I SEE GENERAL DISCUSSION FOR CFS2 HAS ALOT OF GENERAL CHATTER STUFF TOO. I SEE ALOT OF OTHER AREAS YOU CAN DUMP BUT THEY NEVER SEEM TO GET DUMPED. :focus:

I KNOW ITS ALOT OF JUST " POSTING " IP GAMES I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT .........
    JUST SOMETIMES WE HAVE SOME GOOD POSTS TOO. THNX FOR GETTING BACK SOME MORE TIME ON THE " EDITING " OF OUR POSTS, MOPAR MIKE

To answer the question on why the IP game thread gets dumped or rolled over every so often.

The "Post your games here" threads are for just that purpose, posting IP games. We ask that you please keep non-game related chatter to a minimum in that thread. Besides making it easier for folks to find out which games are currently running and which have been closed it also prevents troubleshooting and other discussions from getting lost in the shuffle of keeping the games organized.

General chatter type posts ARE still welcome in the forum. We just ask that you post them or troubleshooting posts and the like in a separate thread than the IP game host thread so that they don't get lost.

We periodically make a new game host thread to keep the forum database happy. As a thread gets longer with more replies it takes up more space on the server. This makes for longer load times and a greater chance of the thread puking and causing data loss. It's just preventive maintenance to help keep things running smoothly.

Myself, I hadn't noticed the shortened post edit time limit after one of the recent forum software updates. Just one of the many things that can get overlooked.
    Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Thanks Mike.

Hi Mike,
    My worry and DOS Maximus too, is now that we can't come back and edit out our IP's say up to 6 hrs. from start of hosting a game, It leaves the IP Number up in the public domain for much longer than is necessary. The IP system works very well,---( just look at number of Games flowing via CFS3) , so it needs keeping as safe from Hackers as we can.

I personally am not keen on joining the Game Ranger set-up as I don't want someone I don't know able to get into my computer, apart from that, Game ranger seems a good idea. So that brings us back to looking after On-Line IP's Games.

Can we have the "Edit-Button" back please. :mixedsmi: Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Bill T.
    RAF WINCO41

Quote Originally Posted by WV-903. View Post
    Can we have the "Edit-Button" back please. :mixedsmi: Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Bill T.
    The edit time limit was changed back to 400 minutes a couple days ago.

Scott Kevill
    Quote Originally Posted by WV-903. View Post
    I personally am not keen on joining the Game Ranger set-up as I don't want someone I don't know able to get into my computer, apart from that, Game ranger seems a good idea. So that brings us back to looking after On-Line IP's Games.
    Bill, GameRanger is FAR safer than posting your IP on a public message board. Even if it's edited out after a short time, it's still exposed to anyone on the internet, including getting archived for longer in search engines.

In GameRanger, a host's IP address isn't displayed to anyone except the people you are playing against for CFS3. Also, due to the way GameRanger works with routers, you only need a single port open instead of lots of ports if you are doing direct IP games.

There is no way anyone can get into your computer just by using GameRanger.

Thanks Guys.

:mixedsmi:

Thanks Mike and Scott,for rapid response and help on this ticklish matter,( I mean Hosting by IP's -not the Edit Button--LOL-----)

Bill T.
    :d
    RAF WINCO41