CFS2 Knowledge needed. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFS2 Knowledge needed.

My two bits....

It might be more advantageous to focus on the damage range and hitpoints magnitude in the FX files themselves rather than tweaking the weapon dp's and such.

Small bombs under 250lbs are classed by defo as weapon_type=1 in the MISC_DATA sections of the bomb dp which is linked to the fx_gndexpl_s.fx file on impact. Bombs of 300lbs to 500lbs are generally classed as weapon_type=2, which is linked to the fx_gndexpl_m.fx file. Anything greater than 500lbs are classed as weapon_type=3 and weapon_type=4 and both classes are linked to fx_gndexpl_l.fx. So, if you want to modify the blast effect of a bomb beyond tweaking its damage dice in the dp gunstation section you first change its weapon type class to a higher level to link it to a stronger FX file. If the FX file isn't effective enough to suit your requirements you can modify it by increasing the Hitpoints, Magnitude and Range parameters.

Hitpoints are the total minimums and maximums applied to any object's dp if the object is located within the blast range of the bomb. This range is defined by the numerical code (in feet) of the Range line. The Magnitude code affects the visual appearance (in size) of the blast.

Below are some examples of the headers from my modified FX files. But be advised that any extravagant modifications to bomb FX magnitude and range can sometimes adversely impact subsequent damage effects during the course of the combat action. For example, after a couple of your "big bangs", you may notice that your bullets no longer have any visual or actual damage effect in strafing or air-to-air engagements after the drops, or any further bomb drops might display as wimpy firecracker pops. This is another inherent weakness of the sim engine's outdated FX department. If anything like this should happen, you just have to pack it up and RTB...mission over.

Also, it goes without saying, but any changes made to a ground explosion FX file in behalf of a newly created weapon will also affect any other existing weapon in that same class. When i wrote a new napalm FX package, i linked it to weapon_type=1 and reassigned every existing napalm bomb in my arsenal to this class for the sake of exclusivity to fx_gndexpl_s.fx. I then modified fx_gndexpl_s.fx to generate the new napalm effects alone. I then reassigned all bombs under 250lbs to type 2 to get them out of napalmville and bumped everything between 250 to 500 to type 3...~viola~

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fx_gndexpl_s.fx

[Library Effect]
    Lifetime=5
    Version=1.00
    Damage=1
    Hitpoints=3500.00, 5000.00
    Magnitude=4500.00, 5500.00
    Time=0.30, 0.30
    Range=100.00,160.00
    Fire=1
    Fire Delay=0.00
    Sound=5
    Sound Param=34

fx_gndexpl_m.fx

[Library Effect]
    Lifetime=5
    Version=1.00
    Damage=1
    Hitpoints=5400.00, 5800.00
    Magnitude=20000.00, 28000.00
    Time=0.30, 0.50
    Range=200.00, 300.00
    Sound=5
    Sound Param=34
    Fire=1
    Fire Delay=1.00

fx_gndexpl_l.fx

[Library Effect]
    Lifetime=5
    Version=1.00
    Damage=1
    Hitpoints=6800.00, 7000.00
    Magnitude=35000.00, 40000.00
    Time=0.50, 0.50
    Range=300.00, 500.00
    Sound=5
    Sound Param=34
    Fire=1
    Fire Delay=1.00

fx_gndexpl_l--NUKE.fx

[Library Effect]
    Lifetime=5
    Version=1.00
    Damage=1
    Hitpoints=70000000.00, 80000000.00
    Magnitude=472500000.00, 693000000.00
    Time=3240.00, 3960.00
    Range=6150.00, 6850.00
    Sound=5
    Sound Param=37
    Last edited by bearcat241; February 27th, 2014 at 13:58.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Awsome info Bearcat.

Some of this I knew. Other bits I didn't. More or less its the enhancement of the shockwave that I noticed. I'm not sure if it increases the damage area. That I have not tested.

So my original intent to have multiple exposions won't happen. From what I've read I kind of knew this already. As far as making an effect to simulate it I dont think that is possible either. Best we could do would be the small hiden box idea when a bomb drops in the right area.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Ok, just so i'm clear, are you trying to get a larger, single bang on one drop, or a series of smaller, multiple bangs from a "cluster bomb" drop, each with wide blast zones?

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Ok, just so i'm clear, are you trying to get a larger, single bang on one drop, or a series of smaller, multiple bangs from a "cluster bomb" drop, each with wide blast zones?

that was my intent. Here is the DP from the single 4lb incendiary. Large effect small damage.

[BOXES]
    box.0=%box_name.0%,-0.021,-0.021,-0.272,0.021,0.021,0.272
    [SYSTEMS]
    system.0=%system_name.0%,2000,21
    [BOXMAPS.0]
    ; Box = bomb_0
    boxmap.0=100,21
    [EFFECTS.0]
    ; System = Bomb
    effect.0=10,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_s,
    effect.1=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_m,
    effect.2=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
    effect.3=99,LIBRARY,fx_napalm,
    effect.4=100,BOMB,,
    effect.5=30,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_s,
    effect.6=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_l,
    effect.7=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_s,
    effect.8=99,LIBRARY,fx_napalm,
    effect.9=100,BOMB,,
    [GUNSTATIONS]
    ; Bomb
    gunstation.0=3,21,8,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1d1*1000,0,0,0,0 ,0,0,0,0,0,0,64
    [guns.0]
    gun.0=1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

[MISC_DATA]
    unit_family=4
    category=37
    max_weight=2
    weapon_type=2

[STRINGS]
    "box_name.0"=bomb_0
    "system_name.0"=Bomb

Ok that one works fine. But then I wanted a cluster effect. Something to overcome the 24 mount limit. Thats when I started on the other. (SEE OTHER POST FOR DP)

When I started testing it I noticed the larger shockwave. Saddly only the single explosion. Thats why I used the weapon_type=3. I wanted the larger fireball. I still haven't tested the new DP on groups of targets.

I thought about using MDLs but even they will only act the same as the bgls. Even the animations and such. So as I feared going in, the cluster bomb or even cluster packs are not going to work.

So you can see where it was all going. To simulate 236 4lb bombs being dropped.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

If you want to get a real time, close-up look at how someone else has done something like this in CFS2, go to the Virtual Wings site and download the Dora weapons pack (get the planes too of course). Install the planes and the weaps and make sure you have the ab250 and ab500 cluster bombs in the loadouts of the kites. Fly them in FF and watch the effect of the cluster drops. That should shed more light on the subject. I could break it all down here on how its done, but this download will give you a good hands-on look at the dp setup and the visual outcome: http://www.virtualwings.org/dora/weapons.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    If you want to get a real time, close-up look at how someone else has done something like this in CFS2, go to the Virtual Wings site and download the Dora weapons pack (get the planes too of course). Install the planes and the weaps and make sure you have the ab250 and ab500 cluster bombs in the loadouts of the kites. Fly them in FF and watch the effect of the cluster drops. That should shed more light on the subject. I could break it all down here on how its done, but this download will give you a good hands-on look at the dp setup and the visual outcome: http://www.virtualwings.org/dora/weapons.htm
    Ok so looking at it all, only the Case is modeled, correct. The bomblets have not model. Or am I missing some thing.

That setup works for a single bomb or cluster but for the SBCs on the lancaster I don't think it would work.

Bearcat,

Here is a thought. Tell me what you think,

I could easily model all of the SBCs as one model. That would free up 23 mount points. which I could then add the 4lb packs or the 30lb. that takes 12 slots, so 13 total. which leaves one for the cookie and 10 for effect. so you will have 23 bombs dropping. I could make the 4lb have 2 drops to give a larger effect. that would give an extra 10.

I think that is the best that could be done. Now I just have to model it all. I have an idea for that as well.

Thank you very much Bearcat. Please fill me in on anything I've missed.

Till Later,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Ok so looking at it all, only the Case is modeled, correct. The bomblets have not model. Or am I missing some thing.
    That's correct...they have a presence via the weapon's bgl file and dp file but no visual model.

I could easily model all of the SBCs as one model. That would free up 23 mount points. which I could then add the 4lb packs or the 30lb. that takes 12 slots, so 13 total. which leaves one for the cookie and 10 for effect. so you will have 23 bombs dropping. I could make the 4lb have 2 drops to give a larger effect. that would give an extra 10.
    Honestly Blood Hawk, this is where i'm totally blanked. Please pardon my duplicity but i'm probably not the right guy to present this to. I know this sounds like buzz kill, but to my eye, there seems to be too much going on in this proposed setup, too many moving parts as they say. While in real life a Lanc could easily be outfitted with such a sophisticated loadout, within the limitations of virtual sim world this setup may not be practical, subject to some compromises when you're up against in-game handicaps like the hardpoint limitations of CFS2. Putting historical realism aside here, would it be easier to just split the loadouts between two or three dp's to create multiple payload options for the player depending on the mission objectives?

And remember what i said above about overloading the sim's FX engine...you'll lose some damage and visual effects if a wave of bombers saturates the target with all this ordnance in one drop, not to mention the inevitable slideshow effect. The sim just isn't set up to accommodate a large bomber formation with each ship dropping 23 highly destructive bombs plus a cookie all at the same time. The high capacity cookies alone would be show-stoppers. Sprinkle a lot of big bang bomblets into the landscape along with that and you'll end up blowing up somebody's computer as well. If you plan to upload this to public domain, you don't want to put too much work into something that the community can't use because of degrading performance issues.

My two bits: just break up the loadouts and go easy...
    Last edited by bearcat241; February 27th, 2014 at 18:36.

Good points. That is all info that I need to know. The more the better.

I'll tell you what. I'll make the models for the SBCs and the 4lb incendiary packs. If you want I'll send you a copy to see what you think. there would only be 13 bombs dropping visually. with an extra 10 not showing. I don't think the AI can drop that many. I'll have to test it. If you'd be willing to give it a try then i'll put it together.

I'm actually more worried about the models complexity. I have one done right now with all of the 236 bombs modeled. its over 4800 polys. they are simple 6 sided sticks. i couldn't believe it when i saw that. I have one that is down to around 500 polys. I'll have to do some LODs for it. not to hard to make a box. i might try to get it down to under 500.

Most of the work is finished so I wont have to do any extra. If you interested let me know. Thank you again for your help.

Till Later,
    John

Sure thing...send me a PM when you have a good working proto and i''ll give you my addy.

Back to the lab...

I think I'm going to revisit this. Shessi's Leaflets have given me an idea. Now I just have to model the 4lb IBs so they take up less polys. AI's won't need the SBC's and I can make less detailed models for the Incendiaries. effects models will come later.

I need to see how much space I have to work with inside of the Lancaster.

Rami,

Which Lancaster model would be best for the Player and AI?

What are you using or planning to use for your Chastise missions?

Icon22 Reply...

BloodHawk23,

IHave the set that Allen worked on. I can sent them to you later this afternoon. I need to bring my mom into Boston this morning to have her fistula (dialysis) looked at.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

The Lancasters I made are edits of the ALPHA Lancaster. I know I sent you the Lancaster B Mk.I with normal bomb bay and top turret as I still have a copy of the "sent" email. If you need it again let me know.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The Lancasters I made are edits of the ALPHA Lancaster. I know I sent you the Lancaster B Mk.I with normal bomb bay and top turret as I still have a copy of the "sent" email. If you need it again let me know.
    I must have it then. I 'll just have to look. I messed with one of my installs so I'll have to look in my archive.

I'll re-mail it.

Got it.

Hey Allen, did you ever make the one for the "Tallboy" and "Grand Slam"?

I have the MKIII special. With the upkeep mine. I don't have the other.

So for the SBCs, I'm going to make them as one item. We'll end up with a single, X three, X six, X twelve, and X 14 1000lb SBCs. Then I'll model the 4lb IB and 30lb IB. I'll also make a 500lb SBC and 250lb. Those will be for the Bristol Blenheim and I think the Mossie carried them. Please don't quote me on that.

Oh one other plane for the 250lb SBC would be the Beauforts. Which the Beaufighter could have as well. Though I'm not sure.

Yes. I posted this pics in some thread a long time ago. I still had them in my attachment list

Attachment 15512Attachment 15513

Could you send me a copy.

I just sent all of they to you. The email titled CFS2 Lancasters (All of them) will have all 4. The Mk.III (Special) bouncing bomb is included. Mk.I (Tallboy) and Mk.I (GrandSlam) use your weapons. The basic Mk.I need some Brit bombs made. right now it still has the bouncing bomb in the DP.

Also note none are finished. They have prob with fuel usage and the VC panel is not finished. I think I didn't have the needed gauges. I stopped when Rami took a break way back and never got around to finishing things.

Members who have read this thread: 20