P-3 Thread continued... - Page 26
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 16181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: P-3 Thread continued...

yep :-) Since the start idea was a stock B model, I proposed to remove the nose turret to KBT (which was a carry over from KBTs P-3C) and use the animation for the search light. Luckily he did not and it fits the NZ scheme perfect.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

A question to the SoH crowd: Newer pictures of P-3C propeller blades shows a new triangular decal as compared to the old Hamilton standard badge as seen previous. Do any of you have any knowledge of this decal? The first that struck me was maybe it is a new danger decal or something.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Found this shot of a LR P-3C.....markings didn't change much except for the white drop shadow around the tailcode and nose numbers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRp3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	7107

Thanks for the picture. The scheme is from the mid/late 70's I think. Compared to the Bs and early Cs it has a new bat badge (notice how the wings are on my B paint compared to the wings on the picture). I'm also working on an early Charlie from VP-24, "10" as it looked in 1970 with the newly awarded Presidential Unit Citation and "E", it has the same BAT design as on the B's. Bill from this thread flew her and her older sister B "22" in 1970.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    A question to the SoH crowd: Newer pictures of P-3C propeller blades shows a new triangular decal as compared to the old Hamilton standard badge as seen previous. Do any of you have any knowledge of this decal? The first that struck me was maybe it is a new danger decal or something.
    If the image is shown, everyone's answer might be obtained.

Lockheed P-3N "6603" (156603) of 333 Skv RNoAF 2012, Andøya AB. This aircraft was originally P-3B (HW) 603 and was rebuild into a P-3N in 1992 at NARF Jacksonville. ASW gear removed, but C model avionics and nose FLIR turret. It has recently gone through the ASLEP modification and got new wings in Canade from Lockheed kits. Used for supporting the Norwegian Coast Guard, training and as general utility aircraft.

Also made new tail texture with more detail, so I have some work in front of mw with updating the other mastertextures and paint schemes.

<!-- attachments -->

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by kbt View Post
    If the image is shown, everyone's answer might be obtained.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmac...-dvbuxE-apKE4N

It looks to be the standardized international warning/danger decal, but not 100% sure. It has the same shape as the laser warning decal on the AN/PEQ-2A on my HK416

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmac...-dvbuxE-apKE4N

It looks to be the standardized international warning/danger decal, but not 100% sure. It has the same shape as the laser warning decal on the AN/PEQ-2A on my HK416
    I have found a US NAVY Squadron (VP-10) that sports the prop decal that you seem fascinated with.

Just click on the watch on you tube to see the video.

Why don't you send the VP-10 Command Master Chief a email and ask him your self what the decal is all about

http://www.vp10.navy.mil/

go to the new check in's drop down and then the welcome aboard for other contacts.

The Command Master Chief email: teri.zehnacker@navy.mil

That way, you would get the facts from him and not from me. If you ask him nice, maybe he will send you a more detailed photo.

There is also an email link to the Enlisted Command Sponsor that is worth consideration.
    Charles.raynorrepko@navy.mil

Happy Hunting.

Edit: My brother who works at NADEP JAX will check this out and let me know when he returns to work.

The propeller blade portion of the upper picture was used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	7195

Nice!

Thanks for checking it up GE! the text itself would be interesting to know for the making a correct decal for the texture.

Adrian Brausch also provided me with an close up, albeit not possible to read the decal itself, it is possible to see that it is an danger/warning decal which conforms to the ISO Safety Alert Symbol standard.
    http://www.a-m-c.ca/files/procedures/ansiandisostandardsdecals.pdf

Quite funny the safety oriented society we have ended up with.... you should think that a propeller was seen as an dangerous object by most people without a warning sign...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

P-3 Prop Decal

My Brother didn't make it in to work today, Got impaled so to say a week or so ago on his back and thought nothing of until it got infected. Still paid no mind to it but after it swelled to the size to of a softball, the pain got too intense and went in to the doc. Sliced him open and had to go back this morning for follow-up. It'll take about a week or so for it to heal.

He went on to say, he will check out the P3 blades tomorrow and write down anything specific that you might want or need to know.

So, hopefully soon, the conundrum will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I have found a US NAVY Squadron (VP-10) that sports the prop decal that you seem fascinated with.
    Lol its not a fascination thing ,..its an accuracy for the details,..the prop spinner decals are readable so as the safety decal on the blades need to be...

I just emailed the Command Master Chief with a request for info and hopefully close up photo of that prop decal. It has been referred to another person in VP-10 for assistance.
    So, hopefully, they will sent me helpful info and a close up detail photo of that decal.

Cross your fingers.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Terrific work on this thread Guys; many thanks every one

The decal on the prop you are looking at is the Aero Products decal, or the mark of who ever overhauled the unit- just google image search 'Aeroprop decal' and lots'll come up- GMA Aero Products, Hamilton standard, Curtiss Electric Ect Ect. the cuff is steciled with serial and part numbers, sometimes angle info. Attachment 7255 But check first. Are there are 2 types of props fitted to P-3's? Hollow steel and solid aluminium? Not a P-3 guy, can't remember.

no its unfortunately not that decal,...it is this one...even though its on a Convair580 it is looking at the P-3 photos the same decal...

Yep, its a traditional straight edged triangle, not the bulging triangle as in the aero prop logo.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Yup, that's one of the prop AMO decals-Pacific airmotive? Can't remember. Thats on the square tip hollow steel Aeroproducts prop. T I had to do some head scarching, but P-3's only use the round tip solid aluminium Hamiltons. The triangular decal is from the over haul shop, some times the aeroproducts style,sometime the Hamstand stlye.

Attachment 7259
    Attachment 7260

Last year I attended a laser safety course and got an extensive brief on the ISO Standard warning sign system.

Her is my case for it being an ISO standard warning decal and not a company logo (The ISO warning sign system is now the standard for most parts of the world). The ISO warning triangle is a triangle with a yellow center with a black border with yellow outer edge. There should be a pictorial "multi language" symbol showing the danger painted in black/or contrasting Yellow/black (on the decal in question you can clearly see a propeller symbol on the top part of the triangle, this is per ISO standard) The same color coding goes for the following warning text which has the same border coloring.

From what I can see the mystery decal follows all the above regulations which makes it highly likely it is an ISO warning sign.

This is the ISO warning sign found on the PEQ-2A IR aiming module used on military small arms to show how the symbology with the danger symbol and text (due to lack og space, the iso warning decal has been broken down to 2 separate part with symbol and text)

http://www.insighttechnology.com/log...arning_4pt.png

Another picture
    https://flic.kr/p/9K6nWg

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by brausch View Post
    no its unfortunately not that decal,...it is this one...even though its on a Convair580 it is looking at the P-3 photos the same decal...

Adrian, that is a figgen nice photo, so cool thing we have found it depends on services the aircraft/propellers - S.A.F.E Air NZ simply places there logo even , I guess replace the ISO sticker for their quality insurance on work done .

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Last year I attended a laser safety course and got an extensive brief on the ISO Standard warning sign system.

Her is my case for it being an ISO standard warning decal and not a company logo (The ISO warning sign system is now the standard for most parts of the world). The ISO warning triangle is a triangle with a yellow center with a black border with yellow outer edge. There should be a pictorial "multi language" symbol showing the danger painted in black/or contrasting Yellow/black (on the decal in question you can clearly see a propeller symbol on the top part of the triangle, this is per ISO standard) The same color coding goes for the following warning text which has the same border coloring.

From what I can see the mystery decal follows all the above regulations which makes it highly likely it is an ISO warning sign.

This is the ISO warning sign found on the PEQ-2A IR aiming module used on military small arms to show how the symbology with the danger symbol and text (due to lack og space, the iso warning decal has been broken down to 2 separate part with symbol and text)

http://www.insighttechnology.com/log...arning_4pt.png

Another picture
    https://flic.kr/p/9K6nWg

Yes, Jens, that is an ISO laser warning tag, and those are found around laser emitters. However, in my 35 plus years of watching the autopilot at work and fixing the darn things I can state with certainty that warning decals like the red/white triangle you are thinking of are a standard warning for explosive or cartridge actuated devices- ejector seats, MDC canopy breakers and ejector racks. Prop warnings are painted tips and the prop arc marks on the aircraft hull. The decal on the prop blades are mfg's or overhaul shop's decals. Trust me on that. Still looking for a good scan of the specific decal, but you could use the hamilton standard decal and not be wrong.

I know very well the old danger and warning signs used on propeller aircraft. ISO signs are not only for lasers, but for any hazard and it is the new global standard for such decals. The new signs are something which have suddenly appeared on P-3 propellers, even here in Norway on the C/N fleet.

Just look at the pics, the black and yellow triangle perfectly follow the ISO standard with a stylized 3 bladed propeller as the danger symbol followd by the warning text bellow. The triangle is pointed in the direction the propeller is turning.

On the normal/ older P-3 blades it was common to see the badge of the manufacturer, but not anymore.

I know of norwegian military equipment which have been grounded because the dangerous/ optical sights with lasers part did not have the new ISO warning sign ( only older US warning signs), so this is definetly a trend coming.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members +
    Blog Entries
    As you wish. Aircraft maintenance engineer, what do I know about it.
    Anyway. P-3B is up at FS.com. An unexpected surprise!

Im no aircraft engineer for sure :-) Hopefully we will soon have some hard facts about it. GE is asking the USN and i have asked en engineer and a few pilots from 333 sqn here in Norway.

Due to some miscommunication from my side to KBT, it was the beta of the P -3B he uploaded. Hopefully we will have the final package ready.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I just got an answer from a Captain which is a flight engineer at 333 Skv in Norway and he confirms he has seen ISO warning labels on newer props with the 3 bladed propeller symbol at the top. He also said it was a bit of a lottery what kind of decals the blades have when they get them to Norway. Beside that Norway paints the tips yellow, they are of course sourced from the same supplier as the USN. So it might look like there are differences from batch to batch etc. Might also be with ISO certification for the manufacturer/overhauling company. Can be interesting to hear if the USN actually have specified ISO warning labels on the blades or not.

The answers from the pilots of course were that they had not seen any decals at all on the props during their walk around...hehe

Norwegian P-3N with ISO warning labels (go full resolution on the picture)
    https://flic.kr/p/cLM7bm
    (if the link is not working: search for "Lockheed P-3N Orion Ørland" on flickr)

USN
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2437/3...8ae_z.jpg?zz=1

USN P-3C with 3 different blade decals (including the new ISO label)
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mc2-3wjFbS.../Photo0967.jpg

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 194