P-3 Thread continued... - Page 25
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1517181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: P-3 Thread continued...

The first pictures of the dedicated new P-3B model by KBT with textures by me.

P-3B (LW) "152722" of VP-24 "Batmen" based at NAS Patuxent River in early 1970.
    Notice the Presidential Unit Citation and the Battle Effectiveness “E” award painted on the forward part of the fuselage. “22” was among the last Bravos used by VP-24 before the unit converted the new P-3C.

The AN/AVQ-2 search light pod in action.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

P-3B (HW) “P3-12” 221 Esc., Spanish Air Force in the early 1990’s (former RNoAF “602”).

Some more Norwegian Bravos from 333 Skv:

Just some final tweaks and the package should be ready to go.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Jens;

Is your HD paint kit going to be available ?

Joe

P-3B's

I remember VP-67 when they had the P-3B's. The boarding ladder would have to be manually retracted/extended. Models after the P-3B's were electrically operated.
    I use to kid the AD's (Mechs) and told them that the T-56 engines were installed upside down on the P-3's when compared to the way they are mounted on the C-130.
    I think the air intake is on top on P-3 and on bottom of the C-130. Never understood why the different configurations. I remember that if you needed to climb up to
    a high spot on the plane, you used an "E-4" stand. That was a Navy Petty Officer 3rd class (E-4) or airman who would clasp his hands together and you would put your foot there for a boost to a higher vantage point so you could fix the plane. There were other legitimate named stands (Ladders) with numerical ID's but if you needed a ladder fast, you used an E-4 Stand, which was a big no-no (safety issue).
    T-56 on Navy P3
    Attachment 6837

T-56 on C-130
    Attachment 6838

VP-11 Roundel Fix

KBT P-3C V3.2 roundel fix for the VP-11 texture.

These replacement files will correct fuselage roundels and the VP-11 squadron lettering.

Locate the KBT P-3C folder and copy enclosed files to texture.US NAVY VP-11 former color folder.

Note: Don't delete entire texture, just replace zipped files only with ones in the VP-11 texture.

Corrections made by Gray eagle at SOH.

Available here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=18392

The AN/AVQ-2 searchlight was fitted to the wingtips of P-2V's Neptunes, the AN/APS-33 was a belly mounted X-band radar set that was also fitted to at least on Neptune variant

Never seen it on a P-3.

Edit: P-3C (Charlie) production
    The first flight of the YP-3C prototype, a P-3B HW modified during the final assembly (153443), took place on 18 September 1968. This aircraft was fitted with the A-NEW integrated ASW system. A Low Light Level Television (LLLTV) system enabled the crew to establish visual contact with surface targets during night and bad weather operations. This made the searchlight (as carried on the P-3A and B) redundant.

Found it here

http://www.p3orion.nl/history.html

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    The AN/AVQ-2 searchlight was fitted to the wingtips of P-2V's Neptunes, the AN/APS-33 was a belly mounted X-band radar set that was also fitted to at least on Neptune variant

Never seen it on a P-3
    That is strange, it was carried as a standard store on both the P-3A and B on station 16 and is visible on almost every picture you can find of these marks up until the 1980s. :-)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/New-Z...992b9f004ea375

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...992b9f004ea375

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Norwa...992b9f004ea375

Last edited by JensOle; April 14th, 2014 at 02:13.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Jens;

Is your HD paint kit going to be available ?

Joe
    The problem is the file size, 8x master textures in 2048x makes the total file size rather large.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    That is strange, it was carried as a standard store on both the P-3A and B on station 16 and is visible on almost every picture you can find of these marks up until the 1980s. :-)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/New-Z...992b9f004ea375

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Norwa...992b9f004ea375

Well, those were early P-3A's and B's that had the searchlights; they were a carry over from the P-2V (I've been in them).
    If you read my link about the transition of the P3 then you read where technology eliminated the need for the searchlight

The first flight of the YP-3C prototype, a P-3B HW modified during the final assembly (153443), took place on 18 September 1968. This aircraft was fitted with the A-NEW integrated ASW system. A Low Light Level Television (LLLTV) system enabled the crew to establish visual contact with surface targets during night and bad weather operations. This made the searchlight (as carried on the P-3A and B) redundant.

Incidentally, that (LW) after the BUNO is for Light Weight:

P-3B (Bravo) production
    P-3B production started in 1965 and Lockheed delivered the first Bravo's to the NAS Moffett Field aircraft pool on 12 October 1965. The most important difference with the P-3A was the more powerful engines (Allison T56-A-14). These engines did not need the water-methanol injection systems used on the T56-A-10W. The P-3B could be operated from shorter runways, was a better climber and had a higher cruise speed than the P-3A. The last 63 of the total of 144 P-3B Orions have a strengthened fuselage structure allowing the aircraft to take a higher payload. These aircraft were designated P-3B HW ("Heavy Weight"), while previous aircraft were designated P-3B LW ("Light Weight") from that moment. For the USN three Light Weight aircraft were modified to Heavy Weight standard but obviously this was less successful or too expensive because no further modifications were done. All P-3B's were delivered or modified with Bullpup anti surface missile firing systems. In 1966 Lockheed delivered the first export-Orions: five P-3B's for the Royal New Zealand Air Force. In 1968 and 1969 the Australian and Norwegian air forces also received their first factory-fresh P-3B Orions. On 25 March 1969 the Royal Norwegian Air Force took delivery of the very last P-3B.

The link I provided on P3 history (Development) is really very interesting read.

http://www.p3orion.nl/history.html

There are soooo many things (Sensors/Antenna etc.) hanging from the bottom of the wings of the P-3's that it is hard for me to keep up like for instance:
    The NASA P-3B for Ice Bridge (Antarctica)
    Attachment 6866

LLLTV trials with VP-24 P-3C's

Let me add something to Gray Eagles account. The LLLTV was developed as an alternative to the IR package (in case the IR did not work adequately). It was operational tested on all of VP-24's P-3C's (the 3rd squadron to get the P-3C - in 1970). The LLLTV external pod units deployed on VP-24's P-3C's in March of 1971 (to Keflavik). The LLLTV was not a success - and the IR units were shown to be quite superior. No other operational squadron used the LLLTV.

Bill

Aps-20

I forgot to add that the standard radar on both the P2V-5's , P2V-7's and the WV's was the APS-20. It was a superb surface search radar.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Let me add something to Gray Eagles account. The LLLTV was developed as an alternative to the IR package (in case the IR did not work adequately). It was operational tested on all of VP-24's P-3C's (the 3rd squadron to get the P-3C - in 1970). The LLLTV external pod units deployed on VP-24's P-3C's in March of 1971 (to Keflavik). The LLLTV was not a success - and the IR units were shown to be quite superior. No other operational squadron used the LLLTV.

Bill
    Sounds like the Searchlight for the P-3s was just for VP-24 maybe a few others. As an old tail hooker, that explains why I never saw any P-3s with the Searchlight on it.
    Don't see too many P-3s on an aircraft carrier, actually I didn't see any. But when we pulled into NAS CUBI PT or NAS Alameda back in the 60's I did not notice the P-3s
    that much. My Uncle gave me the 50 cent tour of a P2V at Barbers Point back in '65. Boy, it was a little tight for me inside one.

Quote Originally Posted by jensole View Post
    the problem is the file size, 8x master textures in 2048x makes the total file size rather large.

sign me up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Sounds like the Searchlight for the P-3s was just for VP-24 maybe a few others. As an old tail hooker, that explains why I never saw any P-3s with the Searchlight on it.
    Don't see too many P-3s on an aircraft carrier, actually I didn't see any. But when we pulled into NAS CUBI PT or NAS Alameda back in the 60's I did not notice the P-3s
    that much. My Uncle gave me the 50 cent tour of a P2V at Barbers Point back in '65. Boy, it was a little tight for me inside one.
    Nope!! I believe you are confusing the Bravo with the Charlie.. Bill is talking about the "Low Light Level Television" (LLLTV) system ("TV" optical system) VP-24 tested on their new P-3C in the early 1970s, NOT about search lights on VP-24 P-3B (The Bs of VP-24 used the search light as most if not all other USN P-3B sqn when performing the ASW mission).

The search light was a STANDARD ASW store used on both A and B as they had no other means to visually check surface contacts at night. It was used fleet wide by the US Navy, Australia, New Zealand and Norway since the introduction of the B up until the late 1980's when either the Bs were retired or modernized with optical IR devices (turrets). If you do a through search I'm sure you will find pictures from close to all active duty USN P-3B sqn showing the search light pod in use...

To prove the point, look up the P-3B on for example airliners.net photo database or flickr and I'm quite sure you will find plenty of pictures showing the searchlight pod in use fleet wide by the USN and the export countries.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...13c9276aefa503

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Nope!! I believe you are confusing the Bravo with the Charlie.. Bill is talking about the "Low Light Level Television" (LLLTV) system ("TV" optical system) VP-24 tested on their new P-3C in the early 1970s, NOT about search lights on VP-24 P-3B (The Bs of VP-24 used the search light as most if not all other USN P-3B sqn when performing the ASW mission).

The search light was a STANDARD ASW store used on both A and B as they had no other means to visually check surface contacts at night. It was used fleet wide by the US Navy, Australia, New Zealand and Norway since the introduction of the B up until the late 1980's when either the Bs were retired or modernized with optical IR devices (turrets). If you do a through search I'm sure you will find pictures from close to all active duty USN P-3B sqn showing the search light pod in use...
    I agree with ya. I think what happened is that technological advances came up with a system that made the light system redundent.

Here read this

P-3C (Charlie) production
    The first flight of the YP-3C prototype, a P-3B HW modified during the final assembly (153443), took place on 18 September 1968. This aircraft was fitted with the A-NEW integrated ASW system. [B]A Low Light Level Television (LLLTV) system enabled the crew to establish visual contact with surface targets during night and bad weather operations. This made the searchlight (as carried on the P-3A and B) redundant.

And again.....I worked at an Naval Air station back in 1988 that had P-3B's and they did not repeat, did not have the search lights on them.
    Maybe they use to I don't know and had them removed for all that I know. Point is, you have done a P-3 with a searchlight on it and I commented that I never saw them
    with such lights. You have shown that they existed so you win. Nothing more to debate about on this topic as far as I am concerned. FINIS.

Yes, we all agree that it was not used on the P-3C as it had other systems for night use. What we have been discussing is that it was more or less a standard loadout on the P-3B and was in USN fleet wide use from 1960's and at least into the 1980's. So I'm very grateful for KBT making a dedicated P-3B model which includes the searchlight pod as it was more or less a standard feature on this model. The pod can be toggled off as well, if you want a clean model.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Yes, we all agree that it was not used on the P-3C as it had other systems for night use. What we have been discussing is that it was more or less a standard loadout on the P-3B and was in USN fleet wide use from 1960's and at least into the 1980's. So I'm very grateful for KBT making a dedicated P-3B model which includes the searchlight pod as it was more or less a standard feature on this model. The pod can be toggled off as well, if you want a clean model.
    Jens,

I sent you a PM.

wonder if someone can use these to do a plane or two......myself I would love to have the VP-64 and VP-50 planes.

The A looks interesting. I think the B model can be remade into the A with little effort. Do any of you know of major external differences? I know the engine power was less than on the B, but that is an easy aircraft.cfg file change.

The plan is to make a Kiwi B in their initial paint scheme as well, the old USN scheme with the kiwi roundels looks jolly nice :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Having aircrewed all models up to P-3C update III, I love any in the full US markings. VP-50, VP-19, VP-10, VP-23, VP-66, and VP-64 all units I did work with. My home units were 66 and 64 but when deployed we flew with active duty units.

As to the differences between A and B......nothing huge to notice. I believe the sono chutes may have had some differences. Both models had the drop down sono package, plus a single chute to drop freely from. We also flew P-A/B mod planes and that's when we got the IRDS pod in the nose and other avionics items. I believe both have the same HF antenna wire connection points, as this changed with the C model.

My hope is to have a fully marked bird from 66, and 64 in my sim at some point and your paint kit would be a perfect canvas to do them on.

Tanker 21 waiting on the ramp for its next call to duty

Took me a couple of seconds . . . . . . thought that was an actual photo ! Good job !

Very nice shot indeed!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The B is still being worked on. Trying to get it as accurace as possible.

In the meantime; the first export user of the P-3B, the Kiwis..

Bye some stroke of luck, KBT did not remove the nose ir turret as I proposed, and that makes it possible to replicate the mid life scheme of the RNZAF Orions.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The B is still being worked on. Trying to get it as accurace as possible.

In the meantime; the first export user of the P-3B, the Kiwis..

Bye some stroke of luck, KBT did not remove the nose ir turret as I proposed, and that makes it possible to replicate the mid life scheme of the RNZAF Orions.

The nose IRDS turret was a retrofit to all A and B P-3's. We had A models in VP64 that we had what an update called a P-3A/B mod., and part of that including the IRDS turret for the Sensor three operator, I was fortunate enough to show I wanted to learn the IRDS operation and got signed off on its use operationally.....and an Ord'y. So they left this turret for that reason, it is my belief.

Members who have read this thread: 194