CV-7 in the Med - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CV-7 in the Med

Been testing the AI planes on the Wasp. It doesn't work! As far as AI is concerned, it looks as if the Wasp is invisible. When trying to take off the planes start on the water underneath the Wasp; when landing they touch down on the water and then taxi under the Wasp.

Has anyone a solution?

Dave

maybe

you can make a ground.r8 that is invisible type 5555 it is the

equivalent of the 'hole seed' in fs2k.
    also it is possible to make .r8 smaller than the normal smallest.
    r8s define alt
    .....or
    you may have to make the wasp a pukka airport in the airport/airbase
    selector.I beleive the altitude would maybe be declared here-dunno!
    I'll look and see what I can dig on the subject---but no promises
    ....for myself I'm studying the 'damage' side of .dp files.....ie. not
    the 'gun' side.
    >>>>papingo

I don't want flowers at my funeral--coz I suffer from hayfever!
    Last edited by papingo; February 27th, 2015 at 06:05. Reason: atroshus spelin misteaks

maybe

you can make a ground.r8 that is invisible type 5555 it is the

equivalent of the 'hole seed' in fs2k.
    also it is possible to make .r8 smaller than the normal smallest.
    r8s define alt
    .....or
    you may have to make the wasp a pukka airport in the airport/airbase
    selector.I beleive the alt would maybe be declared here-dunno!
    I'll look and see what I can dig on the subject---but no promises
    ....for myself I'm studying the 'damage' side of .dp files.....ie. not
    the 'gun' side.
    >>>>papingo

I don't want flowers at my funeral--coz I suffer from hayfever!

A compromise may be to have the AI start just above the deck ( say 2 feet above ) and toward the front of the carrier, creating the illusion you are looking for.

Just a thought,

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

A Carrier Shaped Plateau?

I have never tried to build scenery, but would it be possible to build the Carrier to coincide with a plateau on the surface of the ocean?

In playing with Carrier Aircraft a few years ago, I was rather disappointed that the Tail Hook (Auto Spoiler) didn't work because it only worked with touching the ground and the Carrier Deck was not the ground.
    Is it possible to design the scenery mesh so that it WAS the ground?
    Perhaps if the mesh were textured, one could make that section of the texture transparent and as part of the carrier's wake, give it a wider base that had the ocean surface and wake textures?

Just a thot. I really don't know what the restrictions are. Is that worth another phantom / obsolete Maple Leaf Penny?

- Ivan.

on second thots

my idea
    the underlying .r8 won't work coz fs/cfs paints all ,r8s at same height.
    fly over s/w Irish coast at about 3-400 ft .feel the ground level change under you.
    now this carrier.. does it have an ADFairport file? -is there an entry in cfs style 'go to
    airport' not fs 5.1 style(in advanced scenery)
    the reason I say this is that the airport is defined in the cfs style file....and I've
    seen mistakes in such files ....APlocation the 3rd parameter should be height not
    length of runway ! scasm's reference is in Sca_adf.htm ---and it is not 'seen'
    from the index page!!!--look in folder for it!>>Sca_adf.htm.
    scidis de'sembles Adf.bgls.
    go to mission folder incfs
    check' special mission'--just above '[strings]'near end of file --there are layouts
    of sopwith camel AI planes taking off + airport info there.

I'm going to try to attach a picture here nothing to do with above stuff
    --no results manage attach just gave me excuses----help please
    smilo
    >>>papingo--64 today--don't send flowers!

My research into the Runway numbers has been very depressing as I don't seem to be able to get the AI to do what I want. Planes seem to come in very low and actually touch down 100s of yards early. I cannot even confirm if the distance numbers are feet or yards; I think yards but need to get a formation of AI planes to land uniformly. For now I suggest sticking with the default runway figures but it bugs me that I cannot control the parameters better. I'll work on this whjen I get home and find a lovely flat piece of ground with a runway.

What was strange with that AI planes not landing on the Wasp was that they they did land, but at 0 altitude. The runway definition specified the correct height (122 ft) but the planes came in below this. I would have expected them to sink down through the deck. Again, if I could get the parameters to act as expected I should be able to get the AI to land on the wanted glide path.

I have the HMS Ark Royal off Guernsey, somewhere. I must install it and see if it does the same. I remember that the builder placed it on an island so that planes did not explode when landing. I have not tried landing an AI plane on it yet.

Long Shot, But (Edited)

Just for the hell of it, Why not try Martins MKseed program

Set a transparent seed tile ( smallest size would be a six) at deck altitude

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/tools.htm (bottom of page)

If it works, then we just figure out how to make it smaller.
    Last edited by No Dice; March 1st, 2015 at 07:58.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

maybe??

is the wasp on .r8 (seed stuff) or cfs-bmp type ground (in the med sea
    the reason I ask is I have a carrier made for use in cfs scenery ,now the thing is
    I put it in my c drive (seed ground vis ie.r8 ground) and strangely the plane
    sets up on the ground but under the carrier!! clearly the adf height may be is
    not the same .ie seed ground versus cfs /bmp ground.
    may I correct an error --info on adf files is available by selecting 'FS98/2K facility data
    from Scasm's index file.
    now I have only made 1 Adf file but I notice height is always in meters
    >>>>papingo

Members who have read this thread: 11