VC Rain fix

Thread: VC Rain fix

VC Rain fix

Another mystery -- to me.

Yesterday, I decided to install my FSD PC6 Porter in FSX. In getting things setup, I learned that there is an issue with VC Rain that when flown in rainy conditions the cockpit glass turns blue. Sure enough, I checked it out and that is what happened.

The FSD Support FAQ provided the following information:

Q I have FSX Acceleration installed, and once the it is raining the view outside the window in the virtual cockpit turns a solid color.
    A Many models created before Direct X 10 will display an oblique plain color out the windows in the VC when Flight Simulator X generates any kind of precipitation. This is due to the rain textures introduced in FS X SP2 are incompatible with non-DX 10 native models. Our VC Rain Fix utility, available at the top of the page, can correct this.
    In addition to the FSD Rain Fix utility, I also found similar fixes by Flight 1 and Microsoft. I'm hesitant to apply any of the fixes until I know more about what files I'm replacing and why.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Charter Member 2011
    all they do is add the rain textures from fs9 into fsx so the fs9 port over planes display the "rain". Native FSX aircraft aren't effected because the rain effect was taken out.
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

There are, it seems, some interesting theories.

This is mine, it simply replaces FSX\texture\ vcrainmoving0000.bmp with a compatible texture file because FSX cannot handle VC raindrops on the windscreen at all.
    Better than that, you can run the Flight 1 utility again and reverse the changes, if you decide you would rather see blue than rain.

You choose.

Nick.

Just copy the fs9 vc rain effect and over write the FSX ones, they work fine, and if anyone thinks FSX cant handle rain drops on windscreens just get ANTS Trojan, they work fine. seems MS decided to change them because of teh FPS hit, not such an issue anymore.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post
    Just copy the fs9 vc rain effect and over write the FSX ones, they work fine, and if anyone thinks FSX cant handle rain drops on windscreens just get ANTS Trojan, they work fine. seems MS decided to change them because of teh FPS hit, not such an issue anymore.
    The RealAir Beechcraft also has excellent rain effects.
    Not only on the windshield, but also the side windows.

Soo... if I understand all the posts.... this is an FSX issue that primarily affects FS9 port-overs when flown in rainy conditions...interesting.

I guess I could backup the FSX files before copying the FS9 rain effects. Or use the Flight 1 package which, if I understand correctly, has a restore feature?
    -- WH

No you dont have to back up FSX just the VC_rain textures, I dont believe the flight1 ver have the rain drops ???
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

I used the Flight 1 version, no ill effects.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I used the Flight 1 version, no ill effects.
    Unless you count NO RAIN at all an "ill effect..."

"Lot's of theories?" Here are four facts...

1. The "Flight1 fix" simply installs completely transparent bitmaps in place of the 32 animated vc rain bitmaps.
    2. Installing the "Microsoft fix" simply installs the original 32 animated vc rain bitmaps FS9 used.
    3. Copying "FS9 bitmaps" to FSX installs the original 32 animated vc rain bitmaps.
    4. Doing nothing at all results in "blue windows" in FS9 imported aircraft that had included the "VC Rain" feature.

For the record, the animated VC Rain feature was removed from FSX, ESP, and Prepar3D for the simple reason that the new aircraft model format does not support "Chained animations" any longer.

Modelers can provide a form of "animated rain" if they want to take the time to write the required XML control scripts for them, but it is a very "expensive" process in terms of frame rate impact.

Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Unless you count NO RAIN at all an "ill effect..."

"Lot's of theories?" Here are four facts...

1. The "Flight1 fix" simply installs completely transparent bitmaps in place of the 32 animated vc rain bitmaps.
    2. Installing the "Microsoft fix" simply installs the original 32 animated vc rain bitmaps FS9 used.
    3. Copying "FS9 bitmaps" to FSX installs the original 32 animated vc rain bitmaps.
    4. Doing nothing at all results in "blue windows" in FS9 imported aircraft that had included the "VC Rain" feature.

For the record, the animated VC Rain feature was removed from FSX, ESP, and Prepar3D for the simple reason that the new aircraft model format does not support "Chained animations" any longer.

Modelers can provide a form of "animated rain" if they want to take the time to write the required XML control scripts for them, but it is a very "expensive" process in terms of frame rate impact.

Thanks for the summary. I'm still giving this a lot of thought. This whole subject has raised a lot of other issues in my mind.

The aircraft I installed that required the fix was one that was advertised for FSX. I guess this was misleading if it causes me to make additional tweaks just to fly in rainy conditions.

So far I haven't encountered the "blue windows" until I flew this aircraft in the rain. However, I have other FS9 port overs that that I haven't tested under rainy conditions so I really don't know yet if I have to take additional action or not. Guess I need to do some more flight testing under rainy conditions to see if they are affected as well.

Anyways, this is not a deal breaker for me as I have many native FSX aircraft that I'm enjoying under all weather conditions.

To all - thanks for your responses. I've learned a lot.

Cheers
    -- WH

I bought a couple of years ago Flight1 ATR72-500 (for FSX) and noticed this "rain bug". I downloaded the fix from Flight1 pages and am pleased with it. There is another visible fault with this port over plane (which every owners of this aircraft well know). The propellers hide behind the clouds if there is any. I gues there is no cure for this?

Pekka

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    I bought a couple of years ago Flight1 ATR72-500 (for FSX) and noticed this "rain bug". I downloaded the fix from Flight1 pages and am pleased with it. There is another visible fault with this port over plane (which every owners of this aircraft well know). The propellers hide behind the clouds if there is any. I gues there is no cure for this?

Pekka
    That is due to the aircraft model, no cure for it.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post

Pekka
    Hi Pekka,
    The only part solution is to really darken the prop blur alpha and then at least the issue is minimised. I have a number of Fs9 aircraft that I use with this fix.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Pekka,
    The only part solution is to really darken the prop blur alpha and then at least the issue is minimised. I have a number of Fs9 aircraft that I use with this fix.
    And you do it with DXTbmp and the picture editor connected to it right?

Thanks Roger!

Pekka

Members who have read this thread: 83