Kamekazi Aircraft in CFS3

Thread: Kamekazi Aircraft in CFS3

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country

Kamekazi Aircraft in CFS3

Hi All,

Over the last year in between other bits and peices, I have been playing with an idea to get Kamekazi aircraft in game. I have now got it to a point where I'm happy enough to release.

Basically I made an invisible aircraft and set it to AI in the airfile. The short name for this plane is . (single full stop)

The invisible aircraft has a bomb load which is shaped as a Ki27 nate. So what you see in game is a Ki27 flying around. But what you are actually seeing is the bomb model. The bomb has been positioned exactly in line with the invisible plane. This means that when the invisible plane turns etc the plane shaped bomb moves as if it is the plane rather than an item suspended below a aircraft.
    If you shot down the plane you will see it spiral down out of control, but the damage effects will be minimal. I had to do this because if the invisible plane was damaged but not destroyed and showed say smoke, it would mean once the invisible plane drops its plane shaped bomb you would see a plume of smoke flying around all by itself as you cant see the invisible aircraft to go with it.
    So by removing the damage effects for the invisible plane all you ever see is the plane shaped bomb and the effects that are linked to the bomb.

The short name of the invisible aircraft being a . (full stop) is again to reduce the visual presence of the plane after it has dropped its plane shaped bomb. its almost impossible to see the single full stop flying around in the sky after the bomb is gone. The only short fall here is when your close enogh to the invisible plane it will show a pilot name rather than the full stop. but during my testing I hardly ever seen the pilot name show up as I never got close enough once the bomb was released.

I built into the bomb a explosion effect and fire stream on release, this means when the invisible plane gets over its target and drops the plane shaped bomb you see a small explosion then a stream of fire from the right wing as it falls to the ground, and then obviously you see the main explosion on the target. I did this to try and simulate a Kamekazi plane being hit by ships flak on the run into the target.

In game it looks pretty cool, seeing the flaming plane crash into the ship.

The idea of these files is for mission builders to build missions that call for the invisible plane and its Ki27 bomb load.

The files are out for testing and hopefully a mission or two will be built for the initial release.

A very big thank you to Steve Seybolt for modifying the Ki27 Nate gmax model so that it could be used as a weapon file. this allowed me to get a working propeller on the front of the bomb.

the pictures show the nate on relase, then initial nose over and the dive into the target.

regards Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kazi1.jpg   kazi2.jpg   kazi3.jpg  
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

The only limitation that I see is that unlike a real kamekazi attack you have no chance of shooting it down once the "bomb" has been released and starts it's dive on the target.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Hi Major,

that is true, you cant shoot down the bomb after its released, but I'm thinking if the mission altitude is low enough the bomb will be released at a very late stage, giving the player plenty of time to shoot it down before its released. That would also give the ships flak a fair chance to knock it down as well.

but your right at the end of the day its a work around that is not 100% in every scenario.

regards Rob.

Blog Entries
    Well done Rob! I love out-of-the-box solutions like this, what a great idea!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Brilliant out-of-the-box thinking!

Sascha

There was an attempt by by SLIP STREAM in 10-6-2009 "CFS3 EASY SINK CARRIERS modified" wich treats this issue differently.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Well done, I was a small part of Slip Streams version in 2009.

Grateful to see this was carried on, to a completion point.

Let me know when it is available and I would be pleased to build some missions for this.
    BRAVO!!

Thinking outside the box works for me..

With Slip Stream's mission package (Effects and damage boxes for the ships) here at SOH and this newly set up aircraft, I do believe we can get some very nice missions set up..
    Last edited by HouseHobbit; January 2nd, 2014 at 10:51.

The only down side to this highly ingenious idea (no, for once I'm NOT being ironic!) is that the AI gunners will continue banging away at the invisible aeroplane after it releases. I'm not sure that'll change much in the end... Looking forward to seeing the results!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Hi All,

I have uploaded the Kamikazi files. theres a readme file explaining how to use the various files, including a simple test mission so you can view the kamikazi at work. People can use them as they see fit, hopefully some of our mission builders will take them to the next level.

Steve Seybolt is responsible for the new Ki27 shaped bomb used in this set. John Whelan has done the textures.
    Original idea started by Bob Park, additional work to completion by Rob Stevenson.

uploaded to CFS3 other addons - weapons

regards Rob.
    Last edited by Capt. Winters; August 11th, 2014 at 17:44. Reason: added download location.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Many Thanks to ALL the Masters for this one.

OH Yea out of the Box thinking, Yea I can do that..

Got several missions set up already, in Rising Sun for this, Just waiting for the Finals ..
    Many Thanks, time to dance..

That's clever!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Blog Entries

That's real clever! Happy to see someten new in Rising Sun
    CHEERS

Members who have read this thread: 9