This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders - Page 8
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders

It only makes sense if BaseOpacity is set to zero. (post 159)
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

It's set to 0.95, straight out of the box...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Are you using the stock MAW shaders.xml and water textures? If you're using a different one it may cause issues. What's your location? Some parts of MAW around Turkey have dry oceans I've found. It could also be a config issue, check the two sliders at the bottom of z order section which have to do with water and see if a different setting helps.

I thought of shaders - as far as I know, they're as issued, but they equally may very well not be. I'll take a look. In any case, I'm nowhere near Turkey - in MAW, I had this off the Libyan coast and around Malta. In RS, Hawaii.

The Z bias sliders are set to the values used in the "enabling high resolution textures" tutorial from GC.

<ZBiasBitsResolution val="22"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainDecal val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasFlatEffects val="25"/>
    <ZBiasShadow val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaNear val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObject val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObjectFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasEffects val="1"/>
    <ZBiasClouds val="1"/>

Later:

I changed the ZBiasBitsResolution val to 15 (as set automatically by the config tool) and that solved it in MAW. In RS, I continued to have the same problem despite changing the Z bias resolution until I copied the shaders from MAW over, but rather stupidly, I let it overwrite, so we don't have the guilty file!

Interesting that both mods should cause the same problem.
    Last edited by ndicki; April 10th, 2014 at 00:08.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

Hi Nigel, if you right click on your RS folder and go to properties, there is a tab called previous versions, that will let you opne the folder and retrieve the shader file. just copy it to your desktop.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Cheers, Rob - I vaguely remember fiddling with this, ages ago, using a set of shaders I got off Andy(?) - so not the original RS ones anyway.

I did the 'previous versions' bit, and it's gone. Never mind...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    I thought of shaders - as far as I know, they're as issued, but they equally may very well not be. I'll take a look. In any case, I'm nowhere near Turkey - in MAW, I had this off the Libyan coast and around Malta. In RS, Hawaii.

The Z bias sliders are set to the values used in the "enabling high resolution textures" tutorial from GC.

<ZBiasBitsResolution val="22"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainDecal val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterPolyFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineNear val="1"/>
    <ZBiasWaterLineFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasFlatEffects val="25"/>
    <ZBiasShadow val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaNear val="0"/>
    <ZBiasTerrainAlphaFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObject val="0"/>
    <ZBiasObjectFar val="0"/>
    <ZBiasEffects val="1"/>
    <ZBiasClouds val="1"/>

Later:

I changed the ZBiasBitsResolution val to 15 (as set automatically by the config tool) and that solved it in MAW. In RS, I continued to have the same problem despite changing the Z bias resolution until I copied the shaders from MAW over, but rather stupidly, I let it overwrite, so we don't have the guilty file!

Interesting that both mods should cause the same problem.
    I also used this approch in ETO and it works fine on my machine.
    not so well in BoB nor MAW.
    Any suggestion of different setups are welcomed.

Interesting variety of water colors and textures out there in the real world.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=50260&page=15
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The seas re so different depending on location,depth and weather in particular. I don't remember ever seeing blue sea in the UK area or most northern Europe. Flying frequently across the Atlantic (and having been in ships across it 1/2 dozen times), blue is not a colour I would associate with the (North) Atlantic. Clouds make a big difference as well. Slate grey, dark green/blue, even greeny/browny/bluey (!!) might be more like it.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I've got a project underway to address this issue now. When complete, different bodies of water will have their own distinct color. Doing a lot of research to try to get it right.

Blog Entries
    I've got a project underway to address this issue now. When complete, different bodies of water will have their own distinct color. Doing a lot of research to try to get it right.
    Wow, I like the sound of that Daniel!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

A western UK harbour this afternoon:-

Somewhat hard to define, especially since the greenish tinge has been reduced in conversion to jpeg!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Pictures like that are very helpful, the angle the photo was taken from prevents the base color of the water from being altered by reflections of the sky (the reason why water appears more blue in many photos than it really is) and the lighting is fairly neutral. Ankor's shaders take both of those things into account dynamically so the color the texture is actually painted must not include them or the final effect will be exaggerated.

I think I have a good base color for the channel (a rather nebulous darkish green-grey slightly greener than your photo) but places like the Thames estuary with the way currents cause the water to mix is proving a tough job to paint. Making progress though.

Just a "what if" idea so far, but once AnKor get's through a major code clean-up there a possibility of providing the water with variable depth and transparency as well as regional color.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Ok I'm trying to figure out how Clive and the Major changed the water color to green vs the blue. Anyone know how that is done?

I have noticed that in a vanilla ETO depending the time of day you are flying the color of the water changes from dark green to murky blue.

In the CFS3 install with XP mine is blue no matter which time of day or where I'm at. I don't have the green that Clive and the Major have in their install. Would be great if we could keep the blue in the south pacific and the green in the north atlantic!

Try using the cfs3h2o.ddl file from Patt Pattle BoB in your fxtexture. Make shure you rename the original file just in case.

Yes, cfs3h2o.dds located in the effects/fxtextures folder controls the basic water color when using Ankor's shaders. Please note posts 87, 89, 99, 115, 155, and 156 of this thread. You can swap out different versions or paint/recolor one to suit your taste for any location.

It would be nice if someone posted his good combination for most of the games ETO,MAM,DPC Korea,PTO Solomon ,RS,BoB,Battle for Europe.There are so many variations this could help in the research.

MajorMagee attached the relevant files in post 99 and I am currently working on a set of water textures for the different theaters. This is going to take time as the water color will be varied by location within each map. Meaning that on the stock ETO map, if you were to fly from Corsica to London you would encounter the blue of the Mediterranean, the green of the North Atlantic and the brown of the Thames in a single flight without changing any files. Similar things can be done in all the expansions except DPC Korea as it does not have real water, so Ankor's water effects don't work there (self-shadowing still works though). This will take some time to fine tune colors and locations, so hang in there, I hope to make it worth the wait. Meanwhile, feel free to experiment.

Gecko that will be awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hi all,

I'm trying to set this up for my ETO 1.40 Hotfix install and it's not working.

I've installed as per MajorMagee's instructions on the first page, but when I go to load CFS3, the game crashes before I even get to the main menu.

I do have DirectX 11, if that's an issue and I've got Windows 7 64Bit operating system.

Thanks,

Chris
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

Did you try re-running the config program? Sometimes that fixes it.

Yes, again, no luck. I did find that the FlightFX folder wasn't created in my ETO Directory. Instead a SweetFX folder was created instead.

Any solutions?
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!