Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 17
Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718192021222324252767 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

The pinnacle of freeware modeling has been reached; no one can ever vault over the height of this bar.

will there be a cabin? that looks amazing best looking dc3 vc i have ever seen!
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The pinnacle of freeware modeling has been reached; no one can ever vault over the height of this bar.
    I agree with that!

I would like to thank all involved....the model, the sound, the great repaints and soon the vintage VC!

What a great package. Maybe 3 times in my 17 or 18 years of MSFSing does an aircraft come along
    that breathes new life into my love of this hobby. This DC-3 is one of those!

Thank you ALL. Can't wait to get my hands on the VVC!

Ken
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaKen View Post

What a great package. Maybe 3 times in my 17 or 18 years of MSFSing does an aircraft come along
    that breathes new life into my love of this hobby. This DC-3 is one of those!
    I couldn't agree more. For years I've been looking for an aircraft that I could really feel devoted to and spend most of my time with. Years ago the Dreamfleet Archer filled that role - not the Archer III but the original Archer II based on Nels Anderson's real-world Archer (side note - IIRC, that was another Alexander Metzger FDE creation). Since then it's been a series of near-misses. I came close with the A2A Cub - but it's so slow and limited that you really have to be in the right frame of mind for it. Also, as I've gotten older and finances have gotten tighter, the idea of owning and flying a real-world aircraft has receded into the distance, which means that I've turned more and more to bigger, more purposeful aircraft (confession - I found out through some real-world GA passenger experiences that I share with Patrick Smith of Ask The Pilot fame an aversion to small airplanes). On the large aircraft side, I came close with the A2A B-17 - but it's tough trying to come up with civilian missions for it. Their Stratocruiser is a long-distance machine and I only have time for a short-distance flightsim schedule. My flirtation with the NGX and the Q400 just didn't work out - too many buttons, too little romance. As for single-engine warbirds - life gives me enough white-knuckle experiences, I don't need a flightsim airplane that'll try to kill me if my attention wanders for a second...

But the other night, there I was in the C-47 in P3D2, N102DH, on a short haul I sometimes fly from KHTO to KHVN (turn north at the Indian Point reactor to pick up the localizer for Runway 2). There were low clouds, headwinds and turbulence thanks to ASN and Accu-feel... and then a crosswind landing where the old girl gave me a lovely transition from crab to sideslip to wheel-low landing... one of those rare moments where everything comes together and you're no longer aware you're flying the simulator, you've gone over into complete suspension of disbelief. That's with the current VC, and I can only imagine what the new one will be like. A perfect experience and of course the C-47 is perfect for my flying style.

So thanks to everybody who's contributed to this project, and thanks for making it available free, which is generous to the point of insanity. After a lot of wandering in the desert I feel like I've come home - and in a wonderful airplane. Well done!
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Alan, well said.

But as to your aversion to small airplanes - you might want to try a different pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOneJustGreat View Post

But as to your aversion to small airplanes - you might want to try a different pilot!
    Yeah, there is that. The moment when your pilot says to you, "...and this is what we call controlled closeness," and then you get to study all the parts in the rotor hub assembly as the helo slides by about thirty feet below you...

...true, maybe better with another Cherokee driver at some point...

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Yeah, there is that. The moment when your pilot says to you, "...and this is what we call controlled closeness," and then you get to study all the parts in the rotor hub assembly as the helo slides by about thirty feet below you...

...true, maybe better with another Cherokee driver at some point...
    I'd love to take you on a ride, I believe I am a passenger-friendly type of pilot :-)
    But I guess we're not even on the same continent...

I'd love to take you on a ride, I believe I am a passenger-friendly type of pilot :-)
    But I guess we're not even on the same continent...
    If you're anywhere near CYXX, you can take me!
    I'm retired now and my total experience in the air outside of being a passenger on Jetliner is a half hour in a Cessna of some type 30 years ago. At my age it looks like my future air adventures are pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    I'm retired now and my total experience in the air outside of being a passenger on Jetliner is a half hour in a Cessna of some type 30 years ago. At my age it looks like my future air adventures are pretty limited.
    Same goes, but wrong continent (I'm EDXX...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    Hi Alky....I'm in White Rock....same age as you but almost grew up at Delta Airpark on Boundary Bay and close to CZBB. Got to fly in and fly all the "small stuff".
    J3 Cubs, Aeronca Champs and Chiefs, Piper TriPacer and Colt, Aircoupe and a few homebuilts. I consider myself VERY lucky to have lived those wonderful teen years.

This DC-3 out of CYXX is set as my default flight.

Ken
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Same goes, but wrong continent (I'm EDXX...)
    My travels have taken me to Germany on occasion and could again - if they do, I'll let you know. We won't mention it to my wife, (lack of) spousal acceptance being another factor in my non-flying life...

And with that, we should probably hand this poor hijacked thread to its original owners and say, now back to your regular C-47 programming, already in progress. But would be up for discussing more intro flight misadventures, maybe in another thread. Will look forward to it!

-- Saint-Exupery

Sneak peek of the paint I'm currently working on... Just to whet a few appetites!

AWESOME!! just the one I have been waiting for .

I am currently watching the episodes of the second dvd, and must have been watching the previous episodes at least 10 times in the past few weeks. Oh, is that why I haven't seen all episodes yet, lol.

Yes, I purchased the series on the UK Amazon website. It's bringing back memories.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Done and uploaded!

Should be in the library soon! For some reason I managed to put the wrong registration in the upload descriotion, but I can live with that!

Flyingoldfish-

Thanks for that! More than anything, it is a way to repay Jan (as he was the one who waxed nostalgically about Vera Lynn in the first place). We as a community owe so much to that little band of brothers (Manfred's core group, the talented repainters and JAN) for their time and talent. It is nice to see someone able to do something concrete to thank one of them. Bravo Zulu mate!

Carl

Aye I wanted to do a good job on her as a thank you to Jan, both for his hard work and for putting me onto the TV series! Am looking forward to taking her for a proper spin soon and getting some better shots...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

American Airlines.

Hi Guys!

I run Classic American Airlines Virtual. The DC-3 has been one of my all time favorite aircraft. From the MAAM to Just Flight's DC-3. I hope it's ok, but I've just finished an American Airlines paint job for Manfred's C-47 Skytrain V2 and I would like to post just the paint job on my virtual airlines website for my pilots. http://www.fsvintageair.com//America...pvms/index.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1238965_617932808299226_2100188256_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	5965

I'm really looking forward to the classic cockpit you folks are working on. Thanks for this outstanding model!
    We’re Classic American Airlines, doing what we do best. - Classic American Airlines

NOPE...huh uh..no..you cant...no way...unless its posted here for all us..i will hold my breath and stomp my feet!!!......

cool paint..

Flyinggoldfish.

GREAT!

I have been waiting for someone to create this texture.
    Downloaded it and will be taking it for a spin asap. Can't wait.

Would you be willing to do the military version, with the Raskin name hand painted on it, as the THE DC-3 that Raskin started with? I know, want, want, want

Thanks for creating it.

Thanks here is the Classic American paint for the C-47 http://www.fsvintageair.com/American...SkytrainV2.zip
    We’re Classic American Airlines, doing what we do best. - Classic American Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggoldfish View Post
    Aye I wanted to do a good job on her as a thank you to Jan, both for his hard work and for putting me onto the TV series! Am looking forward to taking her for a proper spin soon and getting some better shots...
    Wow!! Well done, mate !

Thanks so much, can't wait to step into the virtual flying boots of the Mad Boiler Man ! Do feel the need to finish up the more or less matching VC first though.

One thing that i find remarkable with the 'Airline' series, and as opposed to f.i. the dutch movie 'Dakota' by Wim Verstappen and Pim de La Parra and with dutch actor Kees Brusse acting as the pilot, is that numerous great shots of G-AGHY and G-AGIV from outside are featured but just about nil from the inside. While you get great views of the cockpit (even flying on autopilot when Kees gets some sleep in the cabin during his long solo flight over the ocean from Surinam to Holland) all the time in the 'Dakota' movie, just about all shots from inside the 'Airline' Daks are only focussed on the pilots. No overview of what the cockpit actually looks like, nore the panel.

Thought it would be nice to find out. Searching for G-AGHY/G-AGIV respectively G-DAKS/G-BHUB didn't return any cockpit photos. Searching for cn 19347 ( G-DAKS now N147DC ) delivered more success : http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...show?id=377737

Here are some more photos of G-AGHY and G-AGIV and some interesting facts about the 'Airline' series and its sadly abandoned follow up:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...80S-ITV-series

Re update on the VVC, haven't much new interesting stuff to show just yet. I am just texturing away and also still trying to get a FSX/P3D 1.4 model going. Haven't been able to do much this week due to 'real world' matters. Just hang in there, gents, good things will come to those that can wait.

Thanks again for the wonderful Ruskin livery, Flyinggoldfish ! How's your TQ coming along ?....

cheers,
    Jan

Cheers folks! Glad to pay a bit back Jan, and I get a nice attractive plane to boot! If you want to include it in the final pack (given your particular interest) feel free! TQ on the very long finger atm, I've got two working throttles and that's good enough to fly with for now!

Manfred, I can, but don't expect it in a hurry... Trying to do more flying and less painting lately!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Flyinggoldfish.

Absolutely no hurry with the repaint. whenever you feel like it.

I know all about not flying enough. I finished building my own cockpit last October, and am still tinkering with it, instead of flying. I have to make myself just selecting an aircraft and taking it for a spin. That's exactly what i'm gonna do with the Ruskin DC-3.
    I have a nice flightplan taking me over a large area of the UK, with a pit stop on the Isl of Man.

Happy Flying!

She's marvelous.

Jan,

This is an extraordinary undertaking. I have no idea how you are doing this and I really look forward to sitting in that remarkable captain's seat and getting airborne.

good flights, Cal

Hi Jan,

Time for a little update, I'm VERY curious!

R.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2