Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 48
Page 48 of 75 FirstFirst ... 38404142434445464748495051525354555658 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1863

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Lightbulb

Having the Sperry in it's place just adds to the authenticity (wow, did I spell that right?). It is part of the charisma of this beautiful old lady.

And I am sure there are plenty of pilots out there that experienced an inop Spery on their flight.

And to accommodate the mass instead of the few, the suggestion of optional selection of the nav/com radios where the Sperry is located, or even better, a pop-up, sounds a good idea for when the coding of the Sperry is done.

Jan, an amazing job on the VVC so far, and I am so pleased to hear that you have not given up on the vintage navigational aids.

Thanks to Wozza for helping out on the coding, bringing this wonderful project back in motion.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Icon28

If one of those super-old Sperry APs were in a cockpit today, it almost certainly would no longer work right. So maybe non-functionality could be considered to be a realistic, special feature...

(The cockpit is looking absolutely awesome!)

We can have it both ways. Bjoern knows a way to select different setups via a specific word in the title of fltsim entries in aircraft.cfg

I'm happy to have it either way. I'm very grateful for all the work put into this project.

In the RW though, one of the first things you'd change on an old bird are the radios, especially with the new modern freq allocation. These beauties were draft horses not show ponies, an owner would do anything to prevent AOG and keep them in the air earning their keep.

If you leave the Sperry in place for texture and history, then it would look cool to have a crack in the glass and a Dymo label with an "InOp" legend placed on the face.

Obie

Love the idea of "INOP" on a Dymo label, or just scrawled on a piece of tape. A2A does something similar in their Comanche when you opt out of certain features (for example, on the fuel tank selector when you don't use the wing tanks). Same approach here would look right at home.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Thanks again for your input, guys, very helpfull to steer the VVC in the right direction so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way because I don't want to seem picky, believe me; but I just tumbled to the fact that the current panel seems to have an ils/vor in it (Right on top of things...). When would that have happened in the real world?
    The first ever ILS landing by an airliner already took place in the US in 1938.

Personally, i can not enjoy to virtually fly the DC-3 to the most if not under IFR conditions. I need to be able to see those needles move and follow them and take-off and land in any type of weather condition. If you ask me that's one of the major features that keeps virtual flight interesting and enjoyable. ( no GPS for me let alone FMC... ;-)

I was initially under the impression that this was meant to be a vintage (1940's) cockpit and am puzzled by the addition of the more modern nav aids.
    Yes, i know what you mean, Kelly, but the implementation of the radios proved rather difficult to stick to that. We just have to move up in time a decade or two, atleast for now. But, hey, 1950's/60's can still be called vintage, don't you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    In the RW though, one of the first things you'd change on an old bird are the radios, especially with the new modern freq allocation. These beauties were draft horses not show ponies, an owner would do anything to prevent AOG and keep them in the air earning their keep.
    Very true. And I'm happy with the radios.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ah Polar Navigation ala Old fashion Maps and Grids. Toss that darn AP out the Window and if it don't start, mash hand once or twice and bingo Engines and smoke and away ye go is my style with the DC3. Dont mind my grease paws on the Yoke and making a mess out of the Seat with tears. Excellent Job Javis.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    We can have it both ways. Bjoern knows a way to select different setups via a specific word in the title of fltsim entries in aircraft.cfg
    Sure, but can be done via code as well. Btw, haven't seen Bjoern here for quite a while now ?... Did he got himself banned or something ??....

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

The first ever ILS landing by an airliner already took place in the US in 1938.

Personally, i can not enjoy to virtually fly the DC-3 to the most if not under IFR conditions. I need to be able to see those needles move and follow them and take-off and land in any type of weather condition. If you ask me that's one of the major features that keeps virtual flight interesting and enjoyable. ( no GPS for me let alone FMC... ;-)
    I totally agree. I can live without an AP, but no radios and no nav equipment would be a no install for me. Flying bad realweather and do IFR with just a chart and a few needles in an old bird like this one is really enjoyable.
    Looking forward to this release. I havent been flying the DC3 for almost a year now because I want it to be "fresh" when this VC is finished.
    And I didnt try to rush you guys. Take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    If you leave the Sperry in place for texture and history, then it would look cool to have a crack in the glass and a Dymo label with an "InOp" legend placed on the face.
    Couldn't find a Dymo labelmaker (not invented yet ? i really have no clue..) so this'll have to do:

Couldn't live with the crack in the glass, asked Pete if he happend to have a replacement glass for the directional gyro lying around and he did.

Jan,

First of all I'm getting in the stage where greed starts to take over common sense . Like the previous posters I like the Sperry in the centre position and the radio in the lower position.

In my day in the air force (and that is quite long ago) we use to label things which were not working with U.S. which stood for Un-Servicable.

Cheers,
    Huub

Jan,

I think it is a brilliant solution to your problem. I too am getting greedy, wonderful job. I also think this will be a first, a VC with non usable thing that are marked as such. I have come across buttons and such that did nothing, this is soo much better. And if you do get it too work one day, all we need to do is remove the sticker...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I was initially under the impression that this was meant to be a vintage (1940's) cockpit and am puzzled by the addition of the more modern nav aids.
    All well and good but take into account that today there are no Vintage Nav Aids.
    About the only things left are ndbs and AM radio stations. There are no Radio Ranges for instrument approaches (and they were VERY difficult), No airway beacons that used to help along the way.
    Almost any craft that could do so updated when possible to better radios--- nav and com
    I don't know about ILS in 1938 but my squadron was still doing mostly GCAs int the late 50's because there were so few ILS airfields equipped with them. Ditto VOR...they were few and far between, especially in Alaska, Northern Canada, etc. However, it was really nice when we actually got to use one.

CG_1976 Ah Polar Navigation ala Old fashion Maps and Grids.
    You must be joking! I flew Grid Nav with a precessing Gyro in regions north of Nome, AK and it was not fun at all. Given a nice reliable modern gyro and THEN it is ok.

I Really like the VC as shown: a few INOP gauges and nice nave equipment tucked away but easily accessed.

Btw......Us old flyboys aint getting any younger.....closing in on 79 and eager to get a few flight in this lovely bird.

I just want to say thank you for your hard work. The vc is outstanding . Along with the whole plane itself outstanding work also.

Quote Originally Posted by Maj Kong View Post
    All well and good but take into account that today there are no Vintage Nav Aids.
    About the only things left are ndbs and AM radio stations. There are no Radio Ranges for instrument approaches (and they were VERY difficult), No airway beacons that used to help along the way.
    Almost any craft that could do so updated when possible to better radios--- nav and com
    I don't know about ILS in 1938 but my squadron was still doing mostly GCAs int the late 50's because there were so few ILS airfields equipped with them. Ditto VOR...they were few and far between, especially in Alaska, Northern Canada, etc. However, it was really nice when we actually got to use one.

You must be joking! I flew Grid Nav with a precessing Gyro in regions north of Nome, AK and it was not fun at all. Given a nice reliable modern gyro and THEN it is ok.

I Really like the VC as shown: a few INOP gauges and nice nave equipment tucked away but easily accessed.

Btw......Us old flyboys aint getting any younger.....closing in on 79 and eager to get a few flight in this lovely bird.
    I was thinking of Radio Range from DC3 Airways and the fact that we can put NDB's where we like for old-fashioned nav. Also, AM radio stations. Golden and Silver wings sort of stuff. Hard? Yes but fun, especially since we can always walk away from our disasters...

I also vote for the INOP Sperry in it's original place and the semi-modern com/nav radios in a pop up until coding is finished on the Sperry.

I can easily live with that. The panel looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Every time I check in on this thread, it looks better and better. Incredible.

Amazing stuff, and I'm excited to fly it in any darn way you configure it!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Couldn't find a Dymo labelmaker (not invented yet ? i really have no clue..) so this'll have to do:

Couldn't live with the crack in the glass, asked Pete if he happened to have a replacement glass for the directional gyro lying around and he did.

That looks nothing short of fantastic!! I can smell the Skydrol from here

Based on the way I will be using this in the sim, I would vote for an INOP sperry as well. I like to imagine flying this aircraft in the present modern day. Like being a pilot for the Commemorative Air Force taking it on air power tours. So in that situation I would have a restored vintage cockpit, with a few modern radios and a small gps for safety. So for me, no sperry required.

I love it!

Terrific Jan, You have found an excellent way to go forward.
    -Mike

Following this as always, and looking forward to it!

Quick question, will it have a transponder in the radio stack as well (or somewhere on the panel) so that we can fly in controlled airspace and/or receive flight following?

At least you are keeping with the vintage no dymo label just the sticky piece of paper
    fantastic
    your talents amaze me keep up the good work