Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 26
Page 26 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16181920212223242526272829303132333436 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Quote Originally Posted by BertAtHome View Post
    Hi,

I finally managed to resolve the NAV set problem.
    The problem can be solved by disabling the "standby frequency" and "glide slope availability" by setting it to "0"
    Tried it but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Are you in FSX or P3D? I'm using P3D 2.4 and still have the same problem - no response to clicks on the radio dials, only on the switches. In FSX the radios work fine for me without modification, so this seems to be purely a P3D issue.

Your post did succeed in getting me back into the C-47 after a couple of weeks away, so I'm grateful, even if I'm still flying with the default Bendix-King stack...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Sorry Alan_A I have no knowledge of Prep3D. But it seems to me the same kind of problem.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

@BertAtHome - thanks for checking. I'm stumped for the moment, but will try to do more file comparisons between the FSX and P3D installs and see what I can come up with.

In other news... here's a repaint request. I'm always hesitant to make these since I've learned just enough about repainting to know how much work is involved (but not, unfortunately, to commit the time myself or to produce acceptable results). With that said... it'd be wonderful if someone could turn out a version of the CBI C-47 "Long Way Home" (last image on the linked page, scroll down, click to enlarge) featured in Yann and Romain Hugault's latest graphic novel, "Angel Wings" (first volume published last week in France, maybe an English version to follow at some future point but no guarantees). It's a pretty simple O/D over gray scheme, so maybe not too much of a burden for a good painter. I have no idea if the aircraft is real - I suspect the paint is a flight of fancy but the serial number (43-48767) is authentic, and applies to a USAF C-47B that later went to the South Vietnamese Air Force as an electronic warfare ship. I haven't found any images online, so Angel Wings would be the only source unless I've missed something. Hugualt is a real stickler for detail, so it's more than possible that he knows something about it that I don't.

I'm sort of vaguely hoping that Jan Kees Blom comes across this message, only because he introduced me to Hugault in the first place, thanks to the "Nachtuil" repaint he did of the Aircraft Factory He-219 Uhu, based on Yann and Hugault's "The Grand Duke." Jankees, if you're reading this and feel inspired, I'd never argue.

And of course, many thanks in advance to any volunteers!

-- Saint-Exupery

Don't know what I'm doing wrong with the DC3 VC swap out, but everything is BLACK in the VC except the gauges. Tried over and over with same results.

What causes this any idea?
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

I haven't seen that book here yet (I live in Brussels, so it shouldn't be too long), but rest assured, I'll buy the book when I find it, and do the paint shortly after, OK?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I haven't seen that book here yet (I live in Brussels, so it shouldn't be too long), but rest assured, I'll buy the book when I find it, and do the paint shortly after, OK?
    That's no problem at all - I'm grateful, and of course there's absolutely no rush.

The book has only been out a week and the only reason I had it is that I paid Amazon about triple the cover price in shipping costs. Very nice package - his art is as good as ever and the format is somewhat larger than past titles. There's a "grand format" edition due out in a month, I gather with some extras, but I haven't seen any specifics about what will go into it.

I'll keep your Assam Air Lines skin in business in the meantime, among others...

EDIT: The more memorable aircraft in the book are the Burma Banshees (89th FS, 80th FG) P-40s (Phil Adair is a character and Lulu Belle figures prominently) but IIRC someone has already done a couple of those for the A2A WOP3 version.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong with the DC3 VC swap out, but everything is BLACK in the VC except the gauges. Tried over and over with same results.

What causes this any idea?
    There are several possibilities:

-- .bmps not present in the panel.DC3 folder (make sure you've got all the required .bmps in addition to CABs)

-- aircraft.cfg not pointing to the DC3 folders (make sure the flightsim.x reference for your texture includes "model = DC3" and "panel = DC3")

-- problems in the texture folder (make sure all .dds files are present and that the texture.cfg text is correct)

Unfortunately it's been a while since I assembled the new VC, so my advice is somewhat generic, but I hope it gives you a start. With luck, one or another of the more skillful (re)designers will stop by and give you more specific help.

Let us know how it goes.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    There are several possibilities:

-- .bmps not present in the panel.DC3 folder (make sure you've got all the required .bmps in addition to CABs)

-- aircraft.cfg not pointing to the DC3 folders (make sure the flightsim.x reference for your texture includes "model = DC3" and "panel = DC3")

-- problems in the texture folder (make sure all .dds files are present and that the texture.cfg text is correct)

Unfortunately it's been a while since I assembled the new VC, so my advice is somewhat generic, but I hope it gives you a start. With luck, one or another of the more skillful (re)designers will stop by and give you more specific help.

Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks Alan, Finally worked out what i was doing wrong there. I now have the Default DC3 VC in C47v2. Only now, although the engines are running, the props aren't spinning
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970

Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    Thanks Alan, Finally worked out what i was doing wrong there. I now have the Default DC3 VC in C47v2. Only now, although the engines are running, the props aren't spinning
    I expect you haven't transferred the correct .dll and gauges yet.
    If you go back to page 23 of this topic, post 558 is a step by step guide
    that may well help you.

Regards,
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I expect you haven't transferred the correct .dll and gauges yet.
    If you go back to page 23 of this topic, post 558 is a step by step guide
    that may well help you.

Regards,
    Nick.
    Thanks Nick. That's what i've been working from, but guess i just keep making mistakes I'll try again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	files.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	13264
    This is my 'panel.DC3' folder.

@Dougal - Nick's step-by-step guide is what got me up and running.

But farther down the thread, see also posts 586 and 597 for instructions about how to get the exterior model set up so you can see your paint out the cockpit window, and for getting the spinning prop textures in place.

I also recommend the substitute textures that Nick shared in a couple of posts that followed his step-by-step post.

Hang in - it's absolutely worth the effort.

-- Saint-Exupery

@Dougal - Nick's step-by-step guide is what got me up and running.

But farther down the thread, see also posts 586 and 597 for instructions about how to get the exterior model set up so you can see your paint out the cockpit window, and for getting the spinning prop textures in place.

I also recommend the substitute textures that Nick shared in a couple of posts that followed his step-by-step post.

Hang in - it's absolutely worth the effort.
    Thanks Alan

It's just not working for me. During all my 'messin' I've probably 'stuffed' something now, so I'm deleting my C47 installation and going to redownload and start from scratch, using just ONE texture set until I get it sorted.

This aircraft is one of the best, if not THE best freeware addon I have, so like you say, it's well worth the effort. I'll get this panel working if it nails me;-)

I'm struggling with cognitive stuff just now after more brain surgary recently. Being shot at and bringing two pieces of shrapnel home didn't do for me, but getting this right, just might

YeeeHaaa!!! Finally I got it sorted. No idea where I'd gone wrong, but after completely starting from scratch, all is now well, and I have the VC I prefer.

A great BIG thanks to all those who keep making this stuff possible, and to folk like Nick and Alan who continue to have patience with numpties like me

Didn't Version#1 of Manfred's C-47 come with the default panel? And the only difference in the fuselage was a bit of length in the nose?
    I don't understand the struggle to replace the MJ modern panel in C-47 Ver.2 when you have the desired result in Ver.1. There are plenty of repaints available for Ver.1 and more can easily be painted if you really want the old style panel.
    Am I wrong here? Or what am I missing?

Here is an extract from the C47 v2 readme which might jog your memory.....

FSX Douglas C-47 Skytrain V2

This is a re-worked version of our 2011 FSX C-47 Skytrain. The new models feature a modern VC,
    a realistic slow radial engine start, a paratrooper/cargo drop door, a Control Panel, a fuel and
    payload manager, failure conditions, improved engine textures, and new cameraviews focusing on
    props and engines.
    Sound is aliased to the default DC-3. Three Expansion Packs will become
    available separately from Sim-Outhouse, including a custom sound set by Ted "Tufun" Wolfgang,
    and a paintkit and two weathered VC texture sets by Gordon "Gman" Madison. Earlier paints need
    to be adjusted to catch the new nose and engine mappings (conversion kit included in this
    basepack). Models by Manfred Jahn, flight dynamics by Alexander M. Metzger, gauges,
    animations, and failure conditions by Hansjoerg Naegele. Startup smoke effect by Ted Wolfgang.
    Regards,
    Nick

@Dougal - glad to hear you got it worked out. Even with Nick's and vonstroheim's guidance, it took me several tries, so you're not alone in finding it a little challenging.

Now that you've got the basic setup, if you haven't already, have a look at those additional posts I mentioned and see about adding the version 1 exterior model and the propdisk file that gives you the spinning props. Made a lot of difference to me when I could look out the window and see the paint I was currently flying and the prop functioning, as opposed to the generic Microsoft default wing that isn't completely rendered.

@Alky - agree with Nick. I'm sure the Version 1 aircraft is fine (I never flew it - I discovered Manfred through the Basler that came later), but it's much better to be able to use the control panel and take advantage of the new engine starts, especially in combination with Ted's soundset. So it was worth it to me at least to assemble the "aged" VC for the new version.

-- Saint-Exupery

@Dougal - glad to hear you got it worked out. Even with Nick's and vonstroheim's guidance, it took me several tries, so you're not alone in finding it a little challenging.
    I'm still having odd problems with this... Is it possible that this method won't work correctly with some downloaded repaints? When I repeat the EXACT same procedure with some paints, then the props fail to turn.

The issue of the non-turning prop stopped me as well. The engines would start .. start-up smoke and all ... but would not spin!

Are you guys by any chance using the C47 v1 interior model (C47_interior.mdl)? If so, in each of the texture folders you're using, you need to rename propdisk.dds to propdisk1.dds. See Nick's post #597 on page 24 of this thread. See if that helps.

-- Saint-Exupery

Are you guys by any chance using the C47 v1 interior model (C47_interior.mdl)? If so, in each of the texture folders you're using, you need to rename propdisk.dds to propdisk1.dds. See Nick's post #597 on page 24 of this thread. See if that helps.
    I'm not. I'm using Douglas_DC3_Interior.mdl
    (don't use wing view)

There seem to be two ways of stopping the propellers.

either 1. Leaving out C47.CAB from the panel.DC3 folder.

or 2. Using the panel.cfg file from the default DC3 instead
    of the one attached to the installation guide.
    ( this results in there being no gauge entries for C47.CAB)

or both.

In the case of the individual repaints not working, it is essential that
    both the model= and panel= entries of the repaint aircraft.cfg entry
    point to the correctly modified model and panel folders.
    model=DC3
    panel=DC3
    If they do not match, either the gauges will not match the model or vice versa
    and once again, C47.CAB will be unable to work.
    You may also need to change the aircraft title to ensure that you are loading
    the modified one

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by ncooper; October 16th, 2014 at 23:55.

With that said... it'd be wonderful if someone could turn out a version of the CBI C-47 "Long Way Home"
    having fun in the mountains (but still wip...)

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looking Great JK Soon as I saw this screen I instantly thought "Over the Hump".

Jan ... that's excellent. I've been flying the Hump now for over 2 years and this will be a welcome skin. Thanks