Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 54
Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 444464748495051525354555657585960616264 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1863

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Thanks for the replies re: the yoke. TrackIR just isn't in the toy budget, although it's not permanently out of the question.
    I tried TrackIR at a friend's place a couple times, couldn't get used to it. I would certainly put my money on Oculus Rift once it undoubtedly proves it can work well with FSX or P3D.

Jan: Saw a TD for sale at an auction with a "suggested bid" of $35,000. If only...
    Yes, that's about the price for a good restored TD here too (in euros). Many years ago i used to be the proud owner of a TD. The crankshaft gave up, no money for a new one. No matter all the Ferrari's, Lambo's, Bugatti's, Porsche's, Bentley's, if i was to be giving the choice between one of these or an MG TD i'd still choose a TD (no, I'd take the Veyron, sell it and buy a Bentley Continental GT and 10 TD's, couple TC's, MGA's and a few MK's Austin Healy 3000. Probabely a Tiger Moth on the side.. )

https://youtu.be/tbU3zdAgiX8

cheers,
    jan

I look forward to the completion of your work over the cockpit of DC-3. Are you planning to release a separate package or include a new cockpit in an existing model DC-3? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Varhomol View Post
    I look forward to the completion of your work over the cockpit of DC-3. Are you planning to release a separate package or include a new cockpit in an existing model DC-3? Thanks.
    I think he used the outside model Manfred Jahn and tested with the new cabin built
    They are also working on the mapping of external textures
    to me what I would like is that the vc was modeled 2D and Milton Shupe
    allowing indcadores put me where appropriate depending on the year of the plane
    to ancient or modern radios and gauges
    gps
    if
    or not
    thanks

Since my TW sound set is more generic in nature, and watching a bunch of DC3/C-47 YT cockpit videos, I've added some prop slap sounds. Some C-47's have very loud props and others not much at all. Interesting to note that not one sounded alike. Even the takeoff videos have differences in sound.

These are internal cockpit sounds in this video. Looking into improving the external sounds also.

Work in progress (wip)...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Wow that has to be the most realistic radial sound I have heard in the sim. Closed my eyes and felt like I was in the real thing. Great job!

True Art I would say! In which sim was the video made?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Wow that has to be the most realistic radial sound I have heard in the sim. Closed my eyes and felt like I was in the real thing. Great job!
    Although the FSX sound system is limiting, I listen to how those real radials sound and mimic it in the sim... magic begins!

Quote Originally Posted by BertAtHome View Post
    True Art I would say! In which sim was the video made?
    Video produce in FSX.

Blog Entries
    SPEECHLESS AMAZEMENT!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Since my TW sound set is more generic in nature, and watching a bunch of DC3/C-47 YT cockpit videos, I've added some prop slap sounds. Some C-47's have very loud props and others not much at all. Interesting to note that not one sounded alike. Even the takeoff videos have differences in sound.

These are internal cockpit sounds in this video. Looking into improving the external sounds also.

Work in progress (wip)...

Yes! I think that sounds quite authentic. I've not flown in a DC-3/C-47, but I have flown in a B-17 and on that ride, in the cockpit the sound of the props was the predominant sound. Excellent job!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Unique DC-3 sound

The interior engine sounds are fantastic. Grew up in Guatemala and lived near the airport where the DC-3 was THE mode of transport over the mountains, and I spent a lot of flying time behind round engines IRL. These are superb.

Has anyone found a discussion of how or why the DC-3 produces that unique sound that instantly identifies the bird and distinguishes it from all other radial twins--even those with same engines and props? I'm guessing some kind of interaction between props and fuselage, etc.

There's a hint of it in the "prop slap" vid, which; by the way, is a great addition; it's an undertone or harmonic. It's hard to hear in recordings because the mics just can't pic up everything. (I flew several SNJ/AT6 flights so they could record sounds for the movie The Mummy. A mic was anchored near the exhaust, which I though would be awful. But when they played a clip for me in the hangar I though someone had taxied up on the ramp!)

It's more or less audible in these clips too
    http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/36...NDDOGS__ai.mp3
    http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3wav/8.wav
    http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3wav/2.wav

To be clear, I don’t bring this up as a criticism of this wonderful achievement. Just curious if we can somehow trick our computers into fooling our ears so we can enjoy that unique Gooney Bird sound too.

That Gooney Bird Sound

Here's a clip that captures that sound I'm going on about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hes2ZQjMqYU

Most videos include a high-pitched sound that is not authentic. I'm guessing, but it seems to be the result of the mic, or audio circuits, being overdriven.
    Last edited by tailspin45; February 15th, 2016 at 08:10.

TuFun, amazing sounds as always! I look forward to pairing these with this great vvc!

Trying to work with YT videos are not the ideal sounds to choice from, but that's what I have to work with. Would love to have recording equipment and record actual aircraft sounds. Also, depends how good your hearing is and the speakers on your computer.

This video is of a C-47 with a Wright R1820 radials. Listen to those props sing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJG7x0KE5pM

And these from a P&W R1830...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlGGqeaGwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2uvvl0dkA

Gooney Bird Sound

Completely agree that YT is a poor source; the first clip you references sounds nothing like a C-47.

The second clip caught "that sound" briefly, and the third one is pretty good at capturing the unique drone the Douglas produces.

It's odd that we simply don't have words to describe sounds, but the Gooney Bird's is so unique you don't even have to look to know it's a DC-3/C-47.

To reiterate, what you've created is simply awesome--the best radial sounds I've heard. Your crowning achievement would be to make it uniquely DC-3.

That "OH $HIT" moment

I thought all you Gooney Bird fans would enjoy this video that shows what happens when you move the CG too far aft.

Nothing to do with sounds, if you don't count the screaming the pilot will do when he meets the jump master on the ground.

From someone involved in the operation: "Gear down, flaps one, 20" MAP, and 90 kts , with almost full down trim on jump run was our standard ops.Our plane, I flew the load prior to this. Unfortunately the jumpers did not 'go', so cg was too aft for too long. 13,500 start, 6,500 pull out. 1 1/2 turns. It was a long time ago...."
    Last edited by tailspin45; February 16th, 2016 at 07:25. Reason: added quote

Blog Entries
    I thought I would share an interior pan in Prepar3D. This is version 2.5 which seems to render color better than 3.1 and shows the wonderful luster of the specular maps applied to the interior parts.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Superb, as usual

Gordon-

I have stayed with v2.5 for now and seeing this video affirms I have not made a bad choice . Jan's work is AMAZING, and your skin redo will be EPIC. She's a grand old gal and I can't wait to fly into Cox's Bazar

Best- Carl

Nice one Gordon again for some reason my mind still keeps coming back to "Band of Brothers" after sitting in the cockpit , just showing and puts you into that seat at night, when doing the first photo session it was dark in the hanger and it really gave it depth , this little video really starts to really show it .

Blog Entries
    This video may be a tiny bit choppy in a few places due to the massive load on my system running Prepar3D 3.1 with DR in an extremely demanding scenery. I'm not really video savvy, so I haven't mastered the techniques that translate a relatively fluid sim to a relatively fluid YouTube video. lol

Jan Visser's immaculate VC in a 2048 32bit skin set running max sliders across the board, REX TD with Soft Clouds, AS Next live weather @ 20 cloud layers, ultra high density autogen 2x default saturation and photoreal HD ground poly that covers roughly 400 square miles...

That's a load, and the VC, with it's multiple/layered texture sheets with spec and bumps performs like a Swiss watch. The video documents state-of-the-art simulator technology combined with cutting edge scenery design techniques, many of which are experimental and in development. I'm designing with 64 bit as the target for current and future sceneries. They work pretty darned good now in 32 bit and will be spectacular when we finally get a platform that will take full advantage of our hardware.

This piece is for everyone's entertainment while the author finishes his work.

Enjoy...

Last edited by gman5250; February 16th, 2016 at 18:36.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Absolutely Brilliant Gordo .. it almost exactly how I felt back in 1986 , Christchurch to Wellington freight tho , just simply a gorgeous video!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Absolutely Brilliant Gordo .. it almost exactly how I felt back in 1986 , Christchurch to Wellington freight tho , just simply a gorgeous video!

That run to Wellington took you right up the Kaikoura range, which is so much like the Eastern Sierra it's amazing. The Owens Valley and Awatere are almost twin sisters, with Awatere being a bit narrower. I remember being fascinated by the similarity.

Gordo...man, nobody's called me that in ages...
    Thomas Jefferson

Awesome! My hands a re sweaty!

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    That run to Wellington took you right up the Kaikoura range, which is so much like the Eastern Sierra it's amazing. The Owens Valley and Awatere are almost twin sisters, with Awatere being a bit narrower. I remember being fascinated by the similarity.

Gordo...man, nobody's called me that in ages...
    I think it go's with the territory , I got a very sore head that day ... we had a Southerly front come thru and it was as choppy as heck , my best flight in the jump seat was out off Wanaka and back to Christchurch , its dang impressive again , from the cockpit heading out over the ranges and having a couple of B1900 speed past , coming into Wigram ... well even miles back just after Ashburton the was a dot in the sky just above Banks Peninsular .. it was a hot air balloon.

Being a Gordo ... a man with a real history and real wings.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    This video may be a tiny bit choppy in a few places due to the massive load on my system running Prepar3D 3.1 with DR in an extremely demanding scenery. I'm not really video savvy either. lol

Jan Visser's immaculate VC in a 2048 32bit skin set running max sliders across the board, REX TD with Soft Clouds, AS Next live weather @ 20 cloud layers, ultra high density autogen 2x default saturation and photoreal HD ground poly that covers roughly 400 square miles...

That's a load, and the VC performs like a swiss watch. The video illustrates state-of-the-art simulator technology combined with cutting edge scenery design techniques, many of which are experimental and in development. When we go to 64 bit, we're going to experience the real deal.

Enjoy...

Absolutely mind blowing Gordon! Well done Sir ! Mike

Members who have read this thread: 133