USS Forrestal, the Navy's first supercarrier, to be scrapped

Thread: USS Forrestal, the Navy's first supercarrier, to be scrapped

USS Forrestal, the Navy's first supercarrier, to be scrapped

USS Forrestal, the Navy's first supercarrier, to be scrapped in 1 cent deal

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/24...d-for-1-penny/

On July 1967, I was on another aircraft carrier nearby and witnessed the ordeal. The Forrestal was also known as the FID (First in Defense).
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 15th, 2013 at 04:49.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    USS Forrestal, the Navy's first supercarrier, to be scrapped in 1 cent deal

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/24...d-for-1-penny/

On July 1967, I was on another aircraft carrier nearby and witnessed the ordeal. The Forrestal was also known as the FID (First in Defense).
    When I was with VFA-106, one of the guys I worked with was AZC Lampley. He was on the FID during that deployment, and told me of the horrors of that day. NC

Gives one an idea how expensive it is to scrap these ships today. You have to give them away to the scrap yards or else they won't take them. The price they can get for all the steel barely covers the costs of obtaining it from the ship!

Ken

Spent one year of my life on her......1972-1973. I was in an RA5C Vigilante Squadron (Heavy 9), jet mechanic

Between Carrier Qualifications,a stand down because some nut set a fire on the 0-3 level while in Norfolk and kept her out of Commission for 6 weeks, had to do another set of Qualifications and finally off to the Med. Should of seen the USS America as we approached Gibraltar-Took off like a bat out of hell, since they too were delayed those extra weeks

I remember in hanger bay one was a huge plaque with the names of the men that perished that awful day....

She kept me safe and sound, hate to see her go.

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

In the late 80's, while visiting my folks in St. Augustine, a young man from their home town (Jamestown, NY) invited us all to tour her in Jacksonville. A wonderful afternoon with him and some of his crewmates and a truly impressive ship!

Still have the hat!

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Should of seen the USS America as we approached Gibraltar-Took off like a bat out of hell...
    I know it's just an expression, but somehow I can't help but think that "bat out of hell" when applied to a massive aircraft carrier's speed is a bit of an oxymoron...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I know it's just an expression, but somehow I can't help but think that "bat out of hell" when applied to a massive aircraft carrier's speed is a bit of an oxymoron...
    I don't know. It might be a quite literal comparison. A bat flies about 25 knots and that's pretty close! Just don't ask me if the speed is with the bat laden or unladen! LOL!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Bill,I swear I saw a Rooster Tail behind the America LOL
    They had been in the Med two months longer than they should have, and they streamed past us with one hell of a bow wake.....Rick
    Last edited by papab; December 17th, 2013 at 19:47.

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Still have my USS Forrestal Zipo lighter (Was embarked on her late 70's early 80's)

Seems like we never had fire drills; would have real fires in the #4 Main Machinery room quite often.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 17th, 2013 at 12:21.