Cannon-Machine gun trigger issue

Thread: Cannon-Machine gun trigger issue

Cannon-Machine gun trigger issue

I have been messing with the 3gr_fw190a-8.

I have the gun and cannons assigned to separate buttons. The problem with this plane is the guns button fires the left wing cannons, and the cannon button fires the
    cowl and right wing guns. This is the only FW190A-8 that it does it on. I have replaced the xdp file with a new one and still have the same issue.
    Also edited it with different weapons and check to see if they are listed as guns or cannons.

I can not find were the problem is, any ideas?

if you plugged in the original xdp you have to delete the .bdp as well before you'll see the change......maybe you've done so already but when I fooled around with .xdp's in the past and wondered why nothing was happening....I'd forgotten about deleting the .bdp too......

Quote Originally Posted by gaw View Post
    if you plugged in the original xdp you have to delete the .bdp as well before you'll see the change......maybe you've done so already but when I fooled around with .xdp's in the past and wondered why nothing was happening....I'd forgotten about deleting the .bdp too......
    Yes I deleted the bdp file, so will have to mess with it further,
    Thanks

How can you separate the MGs from the cannons?
    I remember reading a thread on this but I forgot how to do it.

You need to hex-edit the m3d file to rename the gun positions. I can't remember what the names are - see the modelling SDK - nor how they correspond to the new entries in the xdp file though. Rene did this for or B109s. That way we could have different left and right sounds for the guns, etc, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    You need to hex-edit the m3d file to rename the gun positions. I can't remember what the names are - see the modelling SDK - nor how they correspond to the new entries in the xdp file though. Rene did this for or B109s. That way we could have different left and right sounds for the guns, etc, etc.

I maybe wrong, I assigned one button in the config to guns and another to cannons.

I think that the what is stated in the xdp file;
    <GunStation UpLimit="0" DownLimit="0" LeftLimit="0" RightLimit="0" RateLimit="0" SystemID="left_cheek_gun" Tracer="40" Trainable="0" Trigger="0" Type="20mmMG151_gun" Name="Left Inboard Cannon" ConvergeDistance="300" Pitch=".1489" MaxAmmo="250"/>

or
    <GunStation UpLimit="0" DownLimit="0" LeftLimit="0" RightLimit="0" RateLimit="0" SystemID="machine_guns" Tracer="40" Trainable="0" Trigger="0" Type="13mmMG131_gun" Name="Left Machine Guns" UseSmallFlash="1" ConvergeDistance="300" Pitch=".1489" MaxAmmo="950"/>

determines if it is a gun or cannon.

This has always work for me. It does not work with gun pods, as it fires when the cannons do, can not separate them.

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    You need to hex-edit the m3d file to rename the gun positions.
    No need to do that in this case, there are adequate gun positions in the model but they're somehow mixed up. I'd try replacing the entire aircraft with a new one just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven190 View Post
    I think that the what is stated in the xdp file *snip* determines if it is a gun or cannon.
    No. They're only names, you can have a machine gun in the place of the left inboard cannon and it will fire when you use the machine guns or a cannon in the place of the right outboard machine gun and it will fire along with other cannon. The only thing that decides which trigger fires the gun is not in the aircraft, not even in the gun itself but in the projectile it fires. If it says WeaponType="bullet" in the XDP file of the round found in the weapons folder it's a machine gun, if it says WeaponType="shell" it's a cannon. Utterly confusing but that's how it goes.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon5 Well

The way a weapon is either activated by the gun or cannon trigger is really in the xdp for the gun. There are two types of "gun" weapons, one called bullet the other shell, with shell being a cannon - usually. So when you pick a gun type in the aircraft xdp it naturally calls this up. But if in the weapon xdp it is to be activated using the bullet or shell classification it really should not matter what you do in the aircraft xdp. If you look in the gun folder you will see such

AvHistory_gr_gun_Mg_17
    avhistory_gr_gun_mg_17_cannon_trigger

both are mg 17s but activated two different ways. You will see this with many gun types in this folder. Now look in the weapon folder for the folder associated with the mg_17 cannon_trigger and xdp and you see

<?xml version="1.0"?><UnitData>
    <General Allegience="" LongName="" ShortName="" ModelName="" BlastDamageScale="1.0" ImpactDamageScale="1.0" FireDamageScale="1.0" Priority="2" Type="weapon" EnteredService="01/01/1944" BlastDamageMod="0" ImpactDamageMod="0" FireDamageMod="0" AllowSpawn="n" Category="weapon" Country="Germany" Mass=".03033"/>
    <Description String="7.92 x 57 x 10.0g"/>
    <Weapon WeaponType="shell" ImpactDice="1" ImpactDieSize="1" ImpactOffset="4.03" BlastDice="1" BlastDieSize="1" BlastOffset="1" FireDice="1" FireDieSize="1" FireOffset="2" ExplodeEffect="fx_bltpln_s" GroundEffect="fx_bltgnd_s" AirEffect="fx_bltpln_s" WaterEffect="fx_bltwtr_s" TracerEffect="fx_tracer_blue" />
    <Loadouts/>
    <GunStations/>
    <DamageBoxes/>
    <Systems/>
    </UnitData>

If you look for the normal mg 17 you see

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <UnitData>
    <General Allegience="" LongName="" ShortName="" ModelName="" BlastDamageScale="1.0" ImpactDamageScale="1.0" FireDamageScale="1.0" Priority="2" Type="weapon" EnteredService="01/01/1944" BlastDamageMod="0" ImpactDamageMod="0" FireDamageMod="0" AllowSpawn="n" Category="weapon" Country="Germany" Mass=".03033"/>
    <Weapon WeaponType="bullet" ImpactDice="1" ImpactDieSize="1" ImpactOffset="4.03" BlastDice="1" BlastDieSize="1" BlastOffset="1" FireDice="1" FireDieSize="1" FireOffset="2" ExplodeEffect="fx_bltpln_s" GroundEffect="fx_bltgnd_s" AirEffect="fx_bltpln_s" WaterEffect="fx_bltwtr_s" TracerEffect="fx_tracer_blue" />
    <Loadouts/>
    <GunStations/>
    <DamageBoxes/>
    <Systems/>
    </UnitData>

Not knowing this plane or how it was designed, I suspect that selecting the proper gun type could help. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    The way a weapon is either activated by the gun or cannon trigger is really in the xdp for the gun. There are two types of "gun" weapons, one called bullet the other shell, with shell being a cannon - usually. So when you pick a gun type in the aircraft xdp it naturally calls this up. But if in the weapon xdp it is to be activated using the bullet or shell classification it really should not matter what you do in the aircraft xdp. If you look in the gun folder you will see such

AvHistory_gr_gun_Mg_17
    avhistory_gr_gun_mg_17_cannon_trigger

both are mg 17s but activated two different ways. You will see this with many gun types in this folder. Now look in the weapon folder for the folder associated with the mg_17 cannon_trigger and xdp and you see

<?xml version="1.0"?><UnitData>
    <Weapon WeaponType="shell" ImpactDice="1" ImpactDieSize="1" ImpactOffset="4.03" BlastDice="1" BlastDieSize="1" BlastOffset="1" FireDice="1" FireDieSize="1" FireOffset="2" ExplodeEffect="fx_bltpln_s" GroundEffect="fx_bltgnd_s" AirEffect="fx_bltpln_s" WaterEffect="fx_bltwtr_s" TracerEffect="fx_tracer_blue" />
    <Loadouts/>
    <GunStations/>
    <DamageBoxes/>
    <Systems/>
    </UnitData>

If you look for the normal mg 17 you see

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <UnitData>
    <Weapon WeaponType="bullet" ImpactDice="1" ImpactDieSize="1" ImpactOffset="4.03" BlastDice="1" BlastDieSize="1" BlastOffset="1" FireDice="1" FireDieSize="1" FireOffset="2" ExplodeEffect="fx_bltpln_s" GroundEffect="fx_bltgnd_s" AirEffect="fx_bltpln_s" WaterEffect="fx_bltwtr_s" TracerEffect="fx_tracer_blue" />
    <Loadouts/>
    <GunStations/>
    <DamageBoxes/>
    <Systems/>
    </UnitData>

Not knowing this plane or how it was designed, I suspect that selecting the proper gun type could help. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I knew it was something, as I stated I was not sure. It has been a long time since I have done anything with CFS3.

Thank you for these enlightening info.