C-47 from Manfred Jahn and team - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: C-47 from Manfred Jahn and team

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    The cockpit is from the Manfred Jahn Basler BT-67. The configuration is based on the contemporary installation for the turboprops in that aircraft.
    Ah, now I understand. I was not aware of the BT-67. I will see if I can find some info on the use of the fuel pumps for that a/c.
    And BTW, I do appreciate the MJ C-47. My intent here has not been to be critical, but rather was just trying to learn how things were supposed to work.
    Thx for the info,
    Al

Blog Entries
    No worries gents. This is an art form and always subject to analysis and improvement.

The thread is dedicated to helping improve an already good model. The details are much appreciated and everything is noted and taken into consideration. MJ will probably pop in and give everyone an update.

The real world Basler maintained the handle layout of the DAK...prop, throttle, mixture. I've looked at quite a few cockpit shots of the BT-67 and noted the handle shapes and proportions. The prop handle in the MJ model are shaped to represent the existing reference data.
    I can change the colors of the knobs to black gray and red to match some of the photos I've seen.

I think when MJ decides on the vintage cockpit all of the original configurations will be represented accurately. Of course, it seems that every DAK photo available show many variables due to the life span and variants of this aircraft.

Cheers...G
    Last edited by gman5250; December 18th, 2013 at 17:26.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

While I agree a vintage cockpit is a very good idea, I think the current modern cockpit with a fuel pump system that better "fits" those wonderful radial engines would also be great. There are still DC3s/C47s flying with radial engines and modern avionics.
    Al
    Last edited by ark1320; December 18th, 2013 at 13:47.

VC and fuel system

The fictional scenario I had in mind was that a customer came to Basler's and said, hey, here's my old Super 3 C-117, can you fit it out with the overhead panel, fuel system and avionics of your turboprop DC-3. And then another customer came and said Can you do this also for this old C-47. Basler said they would give it a try. So that's how they got it. And that's why the Basler placard is still there.

What really happened was that when we released the Basler folks kept asking Can we substitute the Basler VC for that in the default DC-3. That wasn't possible because the Basler has turbo-prop gauges and levers. So we modified the turboprop VC to represent conditions for radial engines and put that into the current C-117D and C-47 V2.

The fuel system, if I remember correctly (it is Hansjoerg Naegele's work) should work just like the one in the Basler. We have a pdf file in the Basler zip that explains the How To. This it how it kicks off on the fuel system:

There are four electrical fuel pumps - (2) left and right main, (2) left and right standby. The main fuelpumps must be turned ON during all stages of flight. The standby fuel pumps are used in case of one or
    both main pumps have failed. In position AUTO, the standby fuel pumps automatically switch on if the
    fuel pressure of the associated engine (left or right) drops below a critical value. If a standby fuel pump
    has activated automatically,it remains on until its switch is set back to OFF, no matter if the
    corresponding main fuel pump (of the same wing side) is able to provide satisfactory fuel pressure or
    not.
    There are many more notes and tips and tricks listed in the relevant section (p. 11 ff). If you haven't the Basler among your aircraft, you can temporarily d/l the pdf here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20in%20FSX.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    No worries gents. This is an art form and always subject to analysis and improvement.

The thread is dedicated to helping improve an already good model. The details are much appreciated and everything is noted and taken into consideration. MJ will probably pop in and give everyone an update.

The real world Basler maintained the handle layout of the DAK...prop, throttle, mixture. I've looked at quite a few cockpit shots of the BT-67 and noted the handle shapes and proportions. The prop handle in the MJ model are shaped to represent the existing reference data.
    I can change the colors of the knobs to black gray and red to match some of the photos I've seen.

I think when MJ decides on the vintage cockpit all of the original configurations will be represented accurately. Of course, it seems that every DAK photo available show many variables due to the life span and variants of this aircraft.

Cheers...G
    Having a look at the Basler cockpit here is what I see:

I have the pwr levers on the left, the props in the middle and the condition levers on the right like most pt-6 equipped planes, for me that's 110% OK
    On the C-47\C-177 what I have is:

The thottles are in the middle as per "normal\original\old" C-47\DC-3 configuration, but the top of the levers are shaped as if they were prop levers while the pro levers on the left have their tops shaped with a cylindrical knob as if they were "throttles".
    From this "thing" I felt like suggesting "why not in the interior 3d model of the c-47\c-117 assign the "throttle levers" to be "prop levers" and vice versa?
    The thottles would be in the far left, which is not incorrect since we're dealing with a modern cockpit with GPS and all the modern stuff, the prop\throttles will be shaped correctly and all the work involved will be much less that re-design the top of the levers.
    Am I asking too much?I hope not. again this is no CRITIC, just my 2cents, and THANKS again for giving us such a beautiful serie of planes

I can see that after flying the Basler the 117/47 levers take a little getting used to. But as you say the Prop-Throttle-Mixture arrangement is factually correct, so it would be terrible confusing to DC-3 pilots if that was changed. Exchanging the knobs would actually be much easier even though then the colors wouldn't be right (judging from my major reference photo). I think I'll leave as is. Anyway on the vintage cockpit they were all white and round with letters P, T, and M, I believe.

...and that's my point too...throttles are in the middle just like (and wonderfully!) you did
    Now, since we agreed the position, what I'm suggesting is that the shape of the knobs of the throttles are those you normally find in prop levers in almost all the mep\sep planes so it seemed strange to me to see "something with the shape of a prop lever" moving when I was moving the thottles.
    Having thought It could have been more difficult to reshape a 3d object than to simply assign an axis (please forgive me I'm a complete dumb when coming to 3d modelling) I suggested a "plan B" option:keep the levers as they are and make the modification as easy as possible, I hope you agree the fact the C-47\C-117 throttle lever knobs are those normally found in a "normal" GA modern plane fixed on the prop levers.
    For the vintage cockpit I couldn' agree more:they were all spherical so........no problem.
    Please, again, don't consider this a desrespect, I still use all your models the most, they are much, much better that a lot of payware stuff around! thank you for your efforts.

All the years waiting for this plane is worth it.

Having a blast with this ole' gal. Excellent sound files, Ted, & fine work everyone.

​.

Don't forget Dakota fans that this wonderful aircraft is the perfect ride for the DCA annual DC-3 World Rally which kicks off on the 28th...

http://dc3airways.com/special_events...13/welcome.htm

Yes that was a shameless plug. I've even done ye a nice WR2013 livery so there's no excuses! :P

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
    All the years waiting for this plane is worth it.

Having a blast with this ole' gal. Excellent sound files, Ted, & fine work everyone.
    Glad you are back flying! Use to see you posting in Flightsim some time ago.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Glad you are back flying! Use to see you posting in Flightsim some time ago.
    Boy, howdy! Been a long dry spell whilst taking care of first things first.
    FlightSim.com... rather lost interest, actually. More ole' flyboys 'round these here parts anyhoo.

Considering flying my 3rd "Around Earth" flight in this enjoyable plane.
    That may keep me busy for a spell, eh? Thanks Manfred, Gordon & Ted
    along with all other contributors making this project happen. Top shelf work.

​.

~ Little Story ~

Thank you, Manfred Jahn, for this wonderful repaint of your mighty C-47. Reminds me of the one time in my United States Air Force days, early 70's, when getting to fly on an old T-29 (Convair C-131 Samaritan). Back in the day, the Air Force Chief of Staff himself used one as his transport during the Korean War in the 50's. The belching smoke & vibrations as the radials came to life, the great sound of the engines at cruise, all the rattling that was a bit unnerving initially those first few minutes of flight followed by an almost comforting feeling subsequently... difficult to capture in words, though "tried & true" come to my widdle bwain. My first & only ride up with radial engines, the T-29s being completely retired Air Force-wise very soon afterwards. Your repaint reminds me of that lucky day this Air Force sergeant got to hop a ride in a piece of history.

​.

Love the bird ... but one problem

Thank you for this great bird. I just love it. Some times it´s just a pleasure to fly...

some times it makes my life difficult...

That´s why I love it!

I have one question. How do I remove the wheel chokes? They look bad when I´m airborne.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s1.jpg   s2.jpg  

This question has already been raised by another user, see post #282.

I can't make it happen here, so am basically mystified. Try this. Select the plane that comes with the upload zip. Shut it down. Put parking brakes on. Flip battery switch OFF. Chocks should appear, pilots should disappear. Flip battery ON, pilots back in office, chocks gone. Start engines following the checklist, fly away. Or just try battery off > on or vice versa, even in flight, and see if that makes any difference. Any other pointers or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for the great screenies and liveries.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    This question has already been raised by another user, see post #282.

I can't make it happen here, so am basically mystified.
    Sorry MJ, I've tried and re-tried to make it happen again to see what it was. One session I played with everything, brakes on/off, battery, pilot's window etc., when I gave up and created an FSX default flight plan and went back to the plane, the chocks were there, and then I couldn't get rid of them. It may just be something with my computer, so don't pull out any more hair LOL

Hate to ask but was there a fix for the prop hubs? Mine seem to have the light reflection off and makes them look wobbly. I think I saw a post about it and a fix but don't really remember. Love the plane! Fly it most all the time and even made a few skins for myself.

Update:
    I see you did have an update for that and I already had it. The problem is I was using custom BUMP files in some of my skins and the fix was in the BUMP files.
    Last edited by Musicman; December 26th, 2013 at 11:49.

If interested, please have a look to FLIGHTSIM.COM ... and here ...
    (tomorrow perhaps) ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UAL - 004.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	1993

Best wishes for 2014.
    Bernhard

Crikey Baernhard, that look's so late 1930s and into the 40,s, Great paint

Blog Entries
    I remember back in 1968 when i went into the rmy, they flew us out of chicago to fort leonardwood in one of these old birds.. It was the first time i'd ever been on a plane and i remember clearly getting scared ****less as we rolled down the runway with the wings flapping up and down like some big bird trying to take off.. I've never been so glad to have my feet back on the ground as i was that night when we touched down..

Quote Originally Posted by baernhard View Post
    (tomorrow perhaps) ...
    Best wishes for 2014.
    Bernhard

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by baernhard View Post
    (tomorrow perhaps) ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UAL - 004.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	1993

Best wishes for 2014.
    Bernhard
    Great looking repaint again Bernhard and a very good 2014 for you as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

From many happy gals & guys

Here's to a great new year

For much hard work to see she flies

Then gifting us with a plane so dear.

All the very best to you & your families this coming new year!

​.

This DC-3/C-47 is an awesome addition to my hangar.

Reading in a different post that Jan Visser has come out of retirement to create a "Vintage" VC just gives me the chills.

As posted in that thread, my atmost gratitude to all that work(ed) on this magnificent add-on.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

New year, new paint ...

Bernhard