megascenery earth...

Thread: megascenery earth...

megascenery earth...

im wanting to get megascenery earth "california"..but id like to have some honest opinions products wise.i have the orbix Los angeles ,in your diffferant and much varying opinions,should i buy the entire state and remove the orbix?..should i wait for the orbix northern california?...

my thoughts are to get megascenery california..then add nevada,arizona,new mexico and oregon as these are the places i fly,im not into alaska or pnw,so seriously..should i just do the megascenery and add to my colection slowly?...

Depends on your tastes Dave. Megascenery products usually don't have ANY autogen buildings or vegetation, so once you get down low, all you'll see are textures. Once you're up above 3000 ft, it doesn't really matter much and the photoreal experience is really nice if you're familiar with the area.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    im wanting to get megascenery earth "california"..but id like to have some honest opinions products wise.i have the orbix Los angeles ,in your diffferant and much varying opinions,should i buy the entire state and remove the orbix?..should i wait for the orbix northern california?...

my thoughts are to get megascenery california..then add nevada,arizona,new mexico and oregon as these are the places i fly,im not into alaska or pnw,so seriously..should i just do the megascenery and add to my colection slowly?...
    Not to sway you either way, Dave. I bought the cali pack for 200.00 about 9 months ago. At first I was happy, then noticed in many areas in central cali that alot of tiles had a transparent green overlay to them that ruined the experience for me. I tried to have it corrected with no success...no one answered my emails, so, I took it off and went with the orbx global which was much more satisfying. Will not purchase anymore mega packs due to the customer support issue.
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

ORBX Los Angeles?? You mean Aerosoft?
    Best, Michael

Alternately, you could try the freeware BlueSkyScenery: http://www.blueskyscenery.com/CA.html. They have California (on the page I linked to), in addition to various other states.

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    ORBX Los Angeles?? You mean Aerosoft?

yes..aerosoft....

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk1130 View Post
    Not to sway you either way, Dave. I bought the cali pack for 200.00 about 9 months ago. At first I was happy, then noticed in many areas in central cali that alot of tiles had a transparent green overlay to them that ruined the experience for me. I tried to have it corrected with no success...no one answered my emails, so, I took it off and went with the orbx global which was much more satisfying. Will not purchase anymore mega packs due to the customer support issue.
    Are you talking about megaScenery v2.0? since they only released California as v2.0 about 2 months ago. There was an earlier version (v1.0 I guess) available until then.

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Dave, I bought MegaScenery for Virginia, where I live. As said before, above angels 3 its beautiful... Then something bit me and I got FTX Global.... Never looked back.. Its all according to what you want to see out of the cockpit at a given altitude.. I never saw myself saying this until I tried it, but for me FTX Global is awesome.. If you're a high altitude guy the line is somewhat fuzzy... With Megascenery there is no autogen on the ground.. You can see for miles. No trees, etc.. After you take off and climb above angels 3 it is awesome, higher more awesome still. That is its strongpoint IMHO.. I like FTX Global better because you don't have to climb above angels 3 for things to feel and look right.. Just my two pennies...

alright guys,i like your input here...ill be getting FTX global as im a low and slow flier.....thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    Dave, I bought MegaScenery for Virginia, where I live. As said before, above angels 3 its beautiful... Then something bit me and I got FTX Global.... Never looked back.. Its all according to what you want to see out of the cockpit at a given altitude.. I never saw myself saying this until I tried it, but for me FTX Global is awesome.. If you're a high altitude guy the line is somewhat fuzzy... With Megascenery there is no autogen on the ground.. You can see for miles. No trees, etc.. After you take off and climb above angels 3 it is awesome, higher more awesome still. That is its strongpoint IMHO.. I like FTX Global better because you don't have to climb above angels 3 for things to feel and look right.. Just my two pennies...
    Hey Quick, to piggy-back on Dave's post for a minute, I have a base install of FSX (just off of the discs), will FTX Global alone give me better visuals for the ground, or is there an another program that needs to
    be used in conjunction with FTXG? I like the appeal of having one product doing the Global-thing that will be good no matter where I fly from.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

One other thing worth mentioning.

The one thing that Megascenery has going for it is what I'll call "surface detail". What I'm referring to is the way that a hilly area might have a green frosting of growth on it where the valleys may remain brown...especially in the high desert. This is also noticeable in rugged mountainous areas where the deep cuts in the mountainside look great in Megascenery. It's a subtle thing that adds some nice realism to the terrain that the Landclass isn't detailed enough to capture, but Megascenery (being photorealistic) can reproduce.

On the other hand, built up areas are in that in between area where they really look off since you can see every muddy textured parking lot. Airfields also suffer from this effect since the FSX airfield often does not overlay the "picture" beneath it.

Personally, I think Megascenery looks best and is my default for desert areas (SoCal, AZ, NV) where the lack of autogen isn't so glaring whereas FTX Global makes FSX in general look great in forrested regions.

Deacon

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Hey Quick, to piggy-back on Dave's post for a minute, I have a base install of FSX (just off of the discs), will FTX Global alone give me better visuals for the ground, or is there an another program that needs to
    be used in conjunction with FTXG? I like the appeal of having one product doing the Global-thing that will be good no matter where I fly from.
    Yes Odie I believe it will. The landclass presently is the default but over the coming year ORBX are adding vector and landclass for many areas as add-ons. Watch out for the free demo Iceland coming very soon.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Just an addition. Here's what I was speaking of earlier:

Both of these were taken near Meteor Crater AZ. Notice the nice textures around the crater walls and the vegetation in the gullies.

Attachment 94644

Attachment 94645