Redding, California KRDD 2013
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding, California KRDD 2013

Redding, California KRDD 2013

This scenery is of my home town airport KRDD, Redding Municipal. It includes the commercial terminal, general aviation areas, Fed Ex depot, the California Division of Forestry air tanker base and surrounding community of Palo Cedro. The complete download should appear later today or tomorrow in the Add-Ons Library. In the meantime here is a short video of what you will see followed by an aerial view of KRDD.

KRDD Redding Municipal Video

Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

That's awesome!!!! Does the photoreal ground scenery come with the package, or is it required elsewhere to have as seen in the video?

Also, is it possible to have a version where the tanker base is free of S-2s and UH-60? My group flies tankers, and sometimes there are enough of us to where we need every pit free for us to use.

Really awesome!

Nice work Tom! i was wondering the same thing about the photoreal, is it included?
    Best, Michael

Airattackimages: The photo real scenery is in the package. You will see the files in the scenery folder with the name Photo at the end of the name. You can removed the Trackers by simply removing the Grumman_Tracker. bgl files from the KRDD/scenery folder.. If you want to put them back just put the file back into the KRDD scenery folder.

Michael, the photo real textures are all included. Got this idea from the production of Iwo Jima, Chi Chi Jima and my Truk scenery. Mark Schimmer deserves the credit for teaching me how to do photo real scenery. Hope you enjoy it.

I have also done the entire Redding downtown area including Benton Airfield. Just plan fun and much better than default.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Did Redding have commercial traffic in the 80s?
    Yes and it still has commercial traffic. We have several United Express flights every day. In the 80's not sure what airlines were using KRDD but since 1967 we have seen Hughes (Yellow Banana), Alaska, Frontier and United. The airfield is long enough for any commercial jetliner. We have had the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Snow Birds and many types of military aircraft at the numerous airshows we have had over the years.

We have even had the B-29 Fi Fi in Redding several times for flights around town, especially over Shasta Dam. There was a B-24 Liberator doing the same thing for a while but can't remember the name of the aircraft.

Very nice Tom! Looking forward to installing this scenery of yours .... Mike

Just downloaded and installed, all I can say is: WOW!
    Thank you!!!!

Cheers,
    Sylvan
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is a war room!"

Intel i5-3230M @3.10 GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1600 MHz, AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics 2GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD @5400 RPM, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, FSX+Acceleration

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Great work Tom. Love the PR and how it is blended with no sharp, rough edges. Downloading it for sure.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Tom you have a PM.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I had the honor of beta-testing the scenery and must say that KRDD is really a milestone in Tom's work. It is very well blended and I like the attention to the detail.

It also should serve as a great base for all the firefighters among us!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Excellent!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    In the 80's not sure what airlines were using KRDD but since 1967 we have seen Hughes (Yellow Banana), Alaska, Frontier and United.
    Sold!

Hi,
    Installed in Acceleration without any problems. Noted that there were four Effects files; one of which I already had. Took off from the Benton helipad today at about 10am in an OH-6A and headed toward KRDD. I have all my scenery pretty well maxed and it looks like Fall is with us. Maintained about 1200 feet and flew around the airport and was impressed at how well the new scenery blended with the existing. I hadn't watched the video so it was all new to me. For some strange reason when I think something is very well done I generally have some small criticism (maybe to make me feel as though I'm included in the creation process?) but that's not the case here. Everything seems just right! Thank you!
    After over flying the airport proper and landing the Loach in multiple locations I switched to the Skyhawk and checked out the area at night. Everything fine here also.
    Now, about downtown and Benton....
    Jim F.

Quote Originally Posted by jandjfrench View Post

[...]
    Now, about downtown and Benton....
    Jim F.
    Hey Tom. For KRDD V2.0 you need to model O'Leary's outfit so the guys (gals...) can indulge in Guinness and a Banger or two.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Well, I could certainly do that. I know exactly in the photo scenery where O'Leary's is. I just checked the files by putting them into a zip and it is a whooping 214MB. It has four sections of photo real scenery and details Benton Airfield. If there is a call for it I will upload after making O'Leary's.

Hi again,

Just a few pictures.
    Attachment 94171

Attachment 94172

Attachment 94173

And per the fire fighting reference:
    Attachment 94174

Shasta Dam is included with the default scenery objects but not installed. My guess is that problems with the ground scenery showing through the dam face when it's pushed back to the lake surface made just leaving it out the easiest.
    I have the Shasta Lake fire scenery installed which was available from the Nor-Cal site. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere but I have it and doubt that there would be any problems with me sending it to anyone if requested. Just let me know if interested.
    Once again; great job on the KRDD scenery.
    Jim F.

Hi again,

Just a few pictures.
    Attachment 94171

Attachment 94172

Attachment 94173

And per the fire fighting reference:
    Attachment 94174

Shasta Dam is included with the default scenery objects but not installed. My guess is that problems with the ground scenery showing through the dam face when it's pushed back to the lake surface made just leaving it out the easiest.
    I have the Shasta Lake fire scenery installed which was available from the Nor-Cal site. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere but I have it and doubt that there would be any problems with me sending it to anyone if requested. Just let me know if interested.
    Once again; great job on the KRDD scenery.
    Jim F.
    Did you manually install the default Shasta dam, or was that included with the Shasta lake fire scenery? I'd be interested in that scenery either way. Do you want a PM with my e-mail?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Hey Dave,

I zipped both the Nor-Cal Fire and Shasta Dam zips into one zip. Here's the link:
    https://app.box.com/s/yv1t7p91zayig1ni9dq7

I used the OPT to place Shasta Dam and was never really satisfied with the result. I think modifications to the mesh is required to place the dam accurately and have no idea how to do that. Maybe you'll have better luck than me but I included the Bgl anyway.
    I just added the Shasta Dam bgl to the Shasta Lake Fire Scenery folder.

Jim F.

Hey Dave,

I zipped both the Nor-Cal Fire and Shasta Dam zips into one zip. Here's the link:
    https://app.box.com/s/yv1t7p91zayig1ni9dq7

I used the OPT to place Shasta Dam and was never really satisfied with the result. I think modifications to the mesh is required to place the dam accurately and have no idea how to do that. Maybe you'll have better luck than me but I included the Bgl anyway.
    I just added the Shasta Dam bgl to the Shasta Lake Fire Scenery folder.

Jim F.
    Excellent - thank you very much!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Been messing with the Shasta Dam area above Redding, California.

That looks fantastic Tom!
    Cheers,
    Dave

back when you could still go on top of dams,we walked out on to shasta dam and i looked over the edge..my ill fitting glasses slid right off my nose and destroyed themselves on the dam face...not the only place this has happened..foresthill bridge,french meadows dam,folsom dam,and when i was 10,,we were in the navy base at pearl and got a tour of a friend of my dads kid on a subtender...i looked over the side...and plooop...right into the water....had to go to an eye doctor in honolulu toget new glasses....youd think id learn....but nooooooooo

Hi,
    Once again I'm beyond impressed! What have you done to make the area below the dam look so fantastic? In the default FSX scenery the Sacramento River below the dam is nothing more than a black line for quite a distance. I'm at a loss as to even knowing what to ask. By exploring the area I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few deer walking around.
    By the way, the Sundial bridge was a pleasant surprise.
    Jim F.

Deer? That give me an idea. Sun Dial Bridge? I have a replacement in that area but not the exact bridge. Is there an object out there of the Sun Dial Bridge? Would love to have the real thing.

Members who have read this thread: 1