FDG2 P-51B Mustang 20th FG.zip

Thread: FDG2 P-51B Mustang 20th FG.zip

FDG2 P-51B Mustang 20th FG.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Fdg2_P-51B_355th

Upgrade package by Captain Kurt for the 20th FG in WWII campaign by Rami

Flown by an unknown pilot, 20th Fighter Squadron at Kings Cliffe, England, 1944

I chose this model as the best P-51B CFS2 model for use in the 20th Fighter Group in WWII campaign. With Gramps' permission I have added a number of improvements to upgrade the flight model, increase AI combat performance, added correct drop tanks, improved cockpit panel, new sound pack mix, and a number of new skins for planes flown by the pilots of the 20th FG.

As the flight model needed improvement to be accurate IMHO, I developed a totally new and exacting flight model which is very close to the real P-51B/C performance specifications - speeds, roll rate, turn rate, range, etc. This was a major project that required extensive programming, experimentation and testing over a period of months but I believe the final result more than justifies the effort. It can't be 100% unfortunately, because the CFS2 flight programming simply does not allow all specifications to be met without adversely altering other specifications. In other words some things are cross elastic but I believe this to be as close as is acheivable. Particularly, the rate of climb adjustment affects all speed specifications so it was allowed to fall where it would as the speed specifications are more important to the flyer.

A new dp file was developed to make the AI more aggressive and to shoot more accurately. The dp uses the VB Planes 75 gallon drop tank, the tank the real Mustangs used. It has been repainted to represent the silver finish of the real tanks. The FDG2 weapons models for bombs and rockets are used.

A new panel was developed which is closer to the actual P-51B panel and improves the in-cockpit visibility. Ali Cat developed a new gauges for this project; the P-51B gear position indicator gauge which was unique to the P-51B/C and the oxygen blinker gauge.

A new sound set was developed from a mix of available P-51 Merlin sound clips which I think does a good job of representing a real P-51. Sound clips are from Lawdog2360, DauntlessDriver546, and some whose original author I have no identification for.

The model collision bubble has been sized to allow it to share the runway with the Alpha P-51D model used in the campaign without colliding.

A new set of skins were painted for a historically accurate 20th Fighter Group P-51B aircraft. For camouflaged aircraft, the model shine was dulled to represent the paints flat finish. For the bare metal finished skins, the model was shined to create a metallic reflection to enhance the bare metal finish effect.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FDG2 P-51B Mustang 20th FG.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Blog Entries

Excellent addition!

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Fdg2_P-51B_355th

Upgrade package by Captain Kurt for the 20th FG in WWII campaign by Rami

Flown by an unknown pilot, 20th Fighter Squadron at Kings Cliffe, England, 1944

I chose this model as the best P-51B CFS2 model for use in the 20th Fighter Group in WWII campaign. With Gramps' permission I have added a number of improvements to upgrade the flight model, increase AI combat performance, added correct drop tanks, improved cockpit panel, new sound pack mix, and a number of new skins for planes flown by the pilots of the 20th FG.

As the flight model needed improvement to be accurate IMHO, I developed a totally new and exacting flight model which is very close to the real P-51B/C performance specifications - speeds, roll rate, turn rate, range, etc. This was a major project that required extensive programming, experimentation and testing over a period of months but I believe the final result more than justifies the effort. It can't be 100% unfortunately, because the CFS2 flight programming simply does not allow all specifications to be met without adversely altering other specifications. In other words some things are cross elastic but I believe this to be as close as is acheivable. Particularly, the rate of climb adjustment affects all speed specifications so it was allowed to fall where it would as the speed specifications are more important to the flyer.

A new dp file was developed to make the AI more aggressive and to shoot more accurately. The dp uses the VB Planes 75 gallon drop tank, the tank the real Mustangs used. It has been repainted to represent the silver finish of the real tanks. The FDG2 weapons models for bombs and rockets are used.

A new panel was developed which is closer to the actual P-51B panel and improves the in-cockpit visibility. Ali Cat developed a new gauges for this project; the P-51B gear position indicator gauge which was unique to the P-51B/C and the oxygen blinker gauge.

A new sound set was developed from a mix of available P-51 Merlin sound clips which I think does a good job of representing a real P-51. Sound clips are from Lawdog2360, DauntlessDriver546, and some whose original author I have no identification for.

The model collision bubble has been sized to allow it to share the runway with the Alpha P-51D model used in the campaign without colliding.

A new set of skins were painted for a historically accurate 20th Fighter Group P-51B aircraft. For camouflaged aircraft, the model shine was dulled to represent the paints flat finish. For the bare metal finished skins, the model was shined to create a metallic reflection to enhance the bare metal finish effect.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FDG2 P-51B Mustang 20th FG.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    Lots of possibilities for colorful liveries! One little problem... the prop disc shows polygonal and not very transparent...
    Looked for the texture but there is none... must be on the MDL... any cure for it?