A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: ALPHA P-51D Mustang 20th FG

Flown by an Lt. David F McCallister, Kings Cliffe, England, 1945

I chose this model to develop into the D model Mustang for use in the campaign, but it needed a lot of work to get it to a high standard. The major drawback of this model is that it is not multiLOD which limits the number of aircraft used in a mission. However, I chose this model because IMHO it is the most accurate representation of the P-51D in CFS2.

The original model was not usable as an AI aircraft or in QC. Therefore the upgrade begins with dvslats model file modification which makes the model usable as an AI plane for use in Mission Builder, mutes the nav lights brightness and animates the cooling gate with the default cowl flap key.

As the flight model was nowhere near accurate or even useable IMHO, I developed a totally new and exacting flight model which is very close to the real P-51D specifications - speeds, roll rate, turn rate, range, etc. This was a major project that required extensive programming, experimentation and testing over a period of months but I believe the final result more than justifies the effort. It can't be 100% because the CFS2 flight programming simply does not allow all specifications to be met without adversely altering other specifications. In other words some things are cross elastic unfortunately but I believe this to be as close as is acheivable. Particularly, the rate of climb adjustment affects all speed specifications so it was allowed to fall where it would as the speed specifications are more important to the flyer.

A new dp file was developed to make the AI more aggressive and to shoot more accurately. The dp uses the VB Planes 75 gallon drop tank and the KM 150 gallon tank which is actually about the size of the 108 gallon drop tank the real Mustangs used. Both have been repainted to represent the silver finish of the real tanks. The FDG2 weapons models for bombs and rockets are used.

A new panel was developed which is faithful to the actual P-51D panel. Ali Cat developed a new gauge for the oxygen blinker gauge for this project.

A new sound set was developed from a mix of available P-51 Merlin sound clips which I think does a good job of representing a real P-51. Sound clips are from Lawdog2360, DauntlessDriver546, and some whose original author I have no identification for.

The model has been resized to allow it to share the runway with P-51B and AWAI P-51Ds without colliding.

A new set of skins were painted for seven historically accurate 354th Fighter Group aircraft. The model been shined to create a metallic reflection in conjunction with the new skin's bare metal finish.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit ALPHA P-51D Mustang 20th FG.zip
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.