New Freeware: Messerschmitt ME-264!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Freeware: Messerschmitt ME-264!

New Freeware: Messerschmitt ME-264!

Hi,

Thomas Ruth, well-known for many great freeware aircrafts, has released his latest work...the Messerschmitt ME-264.

It's available at Avsim

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Nice find Tim ! Mike :salute:

how do you turn it on the ground?

found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_264
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Differential braking?

Give Tom a double thanks, as he at first wanted to makes this one payware.
    Also, if he pulled it through in the end, he included custom radio beacons for "over the pond" navigation.

Well, from the screenshots on avsim, it looks like an outsanding model !
    I hope I find some time to install it in my FSX tonight.
    Thanks a lot to Thomas Ruth ! :ernae:

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Like a He-111 on steroids!

And to answer a few questions above, here's part of the readme:

"Specials" on the ME264 FSX/P3D model

*The nosegear is NOT stearable. To turn the aircraft on the ground use asymetric brake force or engines instead.
    *Crewmembers appear/dissapear according to the entries in the Payload section of the aircraft.cfg.
    *V2 and V3 are equipped with auxiliar main wheels. They drop after takeoff when the gear is being retracted.
    *V3 Bombload appears/disappears according to the entries in the Payload section of the airraft.cfg. They also
    disappear when the bomb levers are pulled.
    *Crew oxygen is critical on altitudes above 4000ft. If you run out of oxygen, you may loose control of the aircraft
    because of asphyxiation.
    *If fully loaded, aircraft needs exreme long takeoff runs. It also needs a lot of back trim for takeoff. The trim will
    normalize once the fuel load decreases.
    *No swastika on the tail. Use of the swastika is illegal here in Germany. The original ME264 had those symbols on the outsides
    of both vertical stabilizers.
    *The files have been compiled with the Lockheed P3D SDK and have been tested in FSX SP2 and Acceleration. They should work in P3D
    as well. The DO NOT WORK in FSX basic or demo version.
    *Long/Short wave radio direction finder is limited to FSX radio frequencies plus some pre defined long wave radio stations.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

A few quick screenshots of the Me264V3 'what-if' armed version:

The VC:

Back of the VC:

On the ground with engines off:

Engines running; I aliased the sounds to the CH Fw-190, which doesn't work perfectly going from one to four engines, but it's better than the default alias to the stock DC-3:

Barely made it off the ground in time flying out of Berlin Tempelhof, even at only 50% fuel:

Auxilary main gear dropping:

Slowly gaining speed over Berlin:

This thing really is big; landing it will be quite a challenge I think! :

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

The V1 with the shorter wingspan and Jumo engines; if you want sounds on this aircraft, open the aircraft.cfg and change the lines 'sound=bmw801' to 'sound=' :

And the V2:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Like a He-111 on steroids!
    Looks like the USAF thought the use of steroids was something they could not put up with. From reading a little history about the Me 264 or Americas Bomber, the only prototype was destroyed on the ground before it could be put into operation. Boy am I glad of that. Thanks to Thomas Ruth for a very nice WWII addition.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

That does look good. I'll have to load it up later:salute:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

For those experiencing difficulty with ground steering, I noticed there was no differential braking entry in the config file. Here's a fix that will activate the differential braking and make ground steering easier:

[brakes]
    parking_brake=1 //Parking brake available
    toe_brakes_scale=0.585 //Brake scalar //0.885<--original value
    differential_braking_scale = 1.0 //Delta on the amount of brake when the rudder pedals deflected
    auto_brakes=0
    hydraulic_system_scalar=1 //On brakes dependant on the hydraulic system, ratio hyd system to max brake hyd pressure

Note: Use outboard throttles to help augment steering along with differential braking.

Also, I added a bit more flaps drag as it seems that with that much flap area fully deployed, the drag felt almost non-existent:

[flaps.0]
    type=1 // 1 - tail, 2 - lead
    span-outboard=0.7 // 0.0 .. 1.0
    extending-time=20 // seconds
    flaps-position.0=0 // degrees
    flaps-position.1=45 // degrees
    damaging-speed=200 // KIAS
    blowout-speed=250 // KIAS
    lift_scalar=1.0
    drag_scalar=1.8 //<--you can adjust this value up or down incrementally
    pitch_scalar=1.0
    system_type=1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic, thank you, Tom! Does the machine gun in the nose mean that the cabin was not pressurized?

Nice.Love the German ww2 planes.

I really ,really ,really want a Dornier 335.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Nice.Love the German ww2 planes. I really ,really ,really want a Dornier 335.
    Isn't CR Tom working on a new Do-335?

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 92238

Get it, keep it. Incredible work from Tom. what Virtavia wants to be when it grows up! Its like a Tutonic take on a heavy B-24, real Raiders of the Lost Ark feel and look, and a big ponderous tricky beast to fly. Had to evaluate 'im in the MRA role, and I'm thinking RAE test marks. Bundesmarine MPA paint...Soviet and Aeronavale....

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Get it, keep it. Incredible work from Tom. what Virtavia wants to be when it grows up! Its like a Tutonic take on a heavy B-24, real Raiders of the Lost Ark feel and look, and a big ponderous tricky beast to fly. Had to evaluate 'im in the MRA role, and I'm thinking RAE test marks. Bundesmarine MPA paint...Soviet and Aeronavale....

Can't agree with you concerning Virtavia. I have NO qualms about any model I paid for that they made.

And I, for one, really do appreciate their policy of releasing older payware models as freeware after their run is over.
    That is a "Thank You" to the community that only a few other companies follow.

Anyway, that being said, superb work, Tom, and Thank You very much, sir. :salute:

And, StormILM, Thanks for the Differential Braking Mod to the .cfg file. I usually use the old metoebrakes.gau to
    do this but I will try your way now.

Is there any good sound set for this monster? I didn't find anything for BMW 801 engines.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    Is there any good sound set for this monster? I didn't find anything for BMW 801 engines.
    At first I aliased it to the Classic hangars Fw-190 (Same engine type) but I wasn't quite happy how FsX handled a single-engine soundset for a four-engine aircraft, so now I aliased the V1 with the Jumos to the Virtavia He-111, and the V2 and V3 to the Virtavia Liberator. Not the same engines but overall an improvment in quality IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Fantastic, thank you, Tom! Does the machine gun in the nose mean that the cabin was not pressurized?
    The V3 is mostly fictional, as development never reached that stage, so it's either unpressurized, an oversight by the author or he's just really mean to the virtual pilots..

I haven't yet installed Me 264, but I already decided to use this soundset from Simviation for the engines, it is the newest sound set there:

Sure, it is from B-24 and engines aren't as powerful, but it is four engine radial sound and different from R-3350 sound sets that I have with some other aircraft that uses R-3350 for real. R-1830 soundset is also of high quality.

I think at this point lazarus made about Virtavia is kind of a beat subject. Mainly it comes down to there are MANY developers out there and they all have a following for different reasons. There are developers who are attempting to recreate and aircraft as if you were jumping into the real thing and there are developers who are building and selling to those who just want to fly and enjoy flying a certain plane type. I love'm all.......I like Virtavia as a model I can jump in and just go flying.......I love my MilViz or VRS when I want super realistic. Its all in taste and I thank all the developers taking the time to contribute to the FSX community.

Anyone not getting any instruments displaying? I suppose one could protrude a machine gun through a pressurized glazing with a flexible mount with balls or seals. Bomb aimer position, or was NYC considered big enough to not need one?

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Anyone not getting any instruments displaying?
    Tom did you:

move the tomME264 folder as it is into your FSX/gauges folder.
    move the tom_ME264, the tom_ME264V2 and the tom_ME264V3 folders as they are into your FSX/simobjects/aircrafts folder.
    move both .fx files into your FSX/effects folder.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Looks like the USAF thought the use of steroids was something they could not put up with. From reading a little history about the Me 264 or Americas Bomber, the only prototype was destroyed on the ground before it could be put into operation. Boy am I glad of that.
    Wouldn't have made it over the pond anyway. Too much allied shipping and aircraft in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Does the machine gun in the nose mean that the cabin was not pressurized?
    The presence of oxygen suppliers for each crewmember says "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    Jumo: lncsnd1.zip (Avsim)
    BMW801: dc-4snds.zip (Avsim)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Wouldn't have made it over the pond anyway. Too much allied shipping and aircraft in the way.
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that the plan was to fly north over the ice as much as fuel would allow. That negates the shipping and offers the defensive aircraft less warning. A staggered force would have stood at least a slim chance at getting a kreisbombe or two through.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.