How Old Are Your Ears?

Thread: How Old Are Your Ears?

How Old Are Your Ears?

Required to play at 1080HD and have a good set of headphones to work properly, according to the description...
    (Well, I could hear up to 10 years younger, barely, but that was it)

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VxcbppCX6Rk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

According to this test, I'm barely alive.

Years ago during my annual medical check-up I already learned that my hearing was showing some traces from a loud past.

Life is much easier now. I don't have to invest in a great stereo and people say things I don't want to hear I have a great excuse.....

Cheers,

A number of years ago, in the process of an Air Force physical, I booted the hearing test by failing to flip a switch soon enough to hear one or two frequencies. Wasn't enough to cause concern, so life went on.
    In a subsequent physical in the same facility, I correctly turned on the headphones and heard all the freqs; no one noticed the apparent improvement...until I mentioned it to the clinician who looked back and said, "Oh, yes, you're right," and that was it.

It amused me, at least.

Ha, ha! After a lifetime in the profession of arms, I couldn't hear any of the frequencies and I'm sure that my tinnitus (ringing in the ears from loud noise exposure) didn't help either.

Oh well, now I can legally ignore the wife's high pitch and constant nagging! There's a silver lining in every cloud, eh?
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Wait till you guys need hearing aids. I wear two and that makes my wife happy. Just to keep things interesting, she will say something while I have the aids on and I still say what? What she doesn't know is the two hearing aids are just miniature radio receivers that play soft music. (Just kidding) What goes on here stays here. (My wife doesn't visit SOH)
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members +
    My Age? Years Of Chain Saws?..I can only fill in the blanks from sound memories...A good tip however..Stop Growing Ear Wax For Fun And Profit...HELPS!...HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

I would not trust a YT vid as definitive after all it is a recording of a recording (maybe more) - I could not hear the 12000 Hz (2nd sample) nor could my Mrs. yet she has Vulcan hearing - she can hear me grumble about having to go to the mall or take out the garbage from the other end and one floor up in our house. In fact she can probably make out what I just typed by the clicking of the keys and she's at work...... now I'm in trouble.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I spent 9yrs on the flight line - I already know where I stand...

As others have said, listening to sounds via a YouTube video is absolutely no test at all. There are just too many variables in terms of equipment and reproduction.

Most general medical hearing tests only cover the range of frequencies that cover speech and never test for the full spectrum.

I used to teach professional sound recording classes at a College in the UK and the mixing desk in the recording studio had the ability to produce a range of test tones in order to correctly calibrate the equipment. Very early in the courses I would do a hearing test with the students to see just how well they could hear and the test sometimes surprised the students as they had no idea how good or bad their hearing was.

The generally accepted range for 'normal' hearing is 20 Hz to 20 Khz but we lose the ability to hear higher frequencies as we get older and loud music/industrial noise usually damages the higher frequencies first. Interesting things start to happen at either end of the scale too. Very low frequencies start to be felt in the body cavity rather than heard. Ever been to a rock concert and 'felt' the bass guitar 'kicking' you in the gut? Get the sound frequency low enough and you start to feel nausea. At the other end of the scale very high frequencies can cause physical pain. I can barely 'hear' 15 Khz now but I can 'sense' frequencies up to and beyond 20 Khz. In my case I get a sensation of pressure in my head between my temples and as the frequency of the sound goes up the pressure increases until the frequency goes beyond my ability to sense it (normally around 22 Khz).
    Larry

20 years of working in the enginerooms of Navy ships has given me an almost constant ringing in my ears. I'm not going to even bother with that test
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

[QUOTE=Tako_Kichi;828897]Ever been to a rock concert and 'felt' the bass guitar 'kicking' you in the gut? QUOTE]

That reminds me of a concert I was reluctantly persuaded to go to in '88 in exchange for my friends coming to see Zappa. It was AC/DC and when that bass kicked in it was all I could do to stop from vomiting, I felt so ill to the pit of my stomach. Hours after the concert still felt unwell.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Do I do this with or without my hearing aid ?
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Two years sleeping behind the gun line in a 155 SP unit, flying around in C-130's for 25 years, countless hours on the range, too many rock concerts -- but I can still go up to 16,000 Hz...fades fast after that.

My 17 year old daughter can hear every tone....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

I could hear the 8000 Hrz tone (the first one) only. Like many here (hear) I've worked around jets for a long period of my life, and that probably has a lot to do with it, beyond just getting older. In some ways it's good: When sleeping with the frogs and the crickets going outside full blast, if I lay with my head on the pillow such that my right ear is "up" I can hear them clearly and they keep me awake. If I turn over and place my other ear up, no crickets, no frogs, no phone, no nothing with high freqs! It's great! On the other hand, if my foxes start their screechy-barky warning call in the middle of the night, I'll wake up, because they're loud! And this has to be affecting my ability to appreciate music, even though I can't tell, so far...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I am good up through 17,000. I am 24, so I guess my hearing is right where it should be. Good news as I listen to a lot of music with high end headphones and a pretty powerful amplifier.

This may explain why I can hear a bunch of weird noises coming from my laptop at work but none of my coworkers can hear it. They're all 40+ years old. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    According to this test, I'm barely alive.
    Such a test would essentially declare all pilots dead by age 30!

Ken

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    WHAT ???

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    As others have said, listening to sounds via a YouTube video is absolutely no test at all.
    Correct, just did the test and I came not even close to the results I always achieve during my medicals.
    Flown noisy turboprops etc. without headset for many years and my hearing is still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I'm not going to even bother with that test
    Me too. Having stood next to an energetic drummer for about seven years in a rock band, I know my hearing has been damaged and faded!

Really?
    At no time does it state its an official medical hearing test or replacement for said same!
    NONE.

It is simply a demonstration showing how we all lose the ability to hear ultra high frequencies first as we grow older, because those fine hairs in the inner ear degrade first.
    It can't be stopped regardless.
    All ultra high frequencies we don't use anyway in our normal hearing range life.

As a kid I could hear the frequencies around the shoplifting devices near the doors of major stores in the 60's and 70's.
    My parents never could hear it, but used to drive me nuts. Them too about me complaining about it.
    I thought they had changed the systems when I got older, now I know I simply lost the ability to hear that ultra high frequency whine years ago.
    SO, if some of you had actually WATCHED the video and HAD FUN with it, as it was intended, you would have learned something. :isadizzy:

Bah, I'm going to work.
    Hear some of you sour pusses later.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Bah, I'm going to work.
    Hear some of you sour pusses later.
    Or not ... remember, we're all a bunch of dead ear'ed pilots! Can't hear nothing! LOL!!

Ken