Out of fuel

Thread: Out of fuel

Charter Member 2015

Out of fuel

I flew a 737-600 (Project-Opensky s Dreamliner) on a one hour flight from one end of Hawaii islands to the other. Most of my flights are roughly one hour - so I usually cut my fuel by 50%. I did in this flight too and I ran out of fuel (wasn't paying any attention to the amount of fuel I had left) heading for the gate. Talk about close

David

Videre Vincere Est
    Out of fuel in 1 hour with a 737, even with 50% fuel load? Man, you must have wasted some fuel somewhere:isadizzy:

Bet ya you had some leak somewhere, and some poor farmer is pretty pissed at you at this time :costumes:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Charter Member 2015
    Ya, cant figgure that one out? It was only a 270nm flight???

Id better get the plane into maintance...

Blog Entries
    Pepere, are you sure you didn't have it in after burners? ABs use a heck of a lot of fuel.

:costumes: :costumes: <- Laughing at his own joke.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Charter Member 2015
    Afterbunns? Nope!:costumes: although that would be interesting to the passengers?

I think its the fuel flow. they have it set to 1.30 and the default 737 is set to 1. later today Im going to re-fly the flight plan and pay more attention as to how the fuel is being burned up.

david

In the RTW race I flew a leg in the default 737. I flew the real 737's for some time and had a fair idea of the specific fuel consumption.... Like you I cut the fuel back for a flight of an hour or so, and ran out, gliding the last 5 miles to touch down right at the threshold of the runway! The final flaps being used to get over the last trees....

As a rule of thumb, in cruise perhaps 5000#/hour. The 800's should be even more efficent.

T.

Charter Member 2015
    Okay, flew it again and had a bunch of fuel left over this time - 22 gals - :costumes:. Also i noted that the 737-600 dreamliner does not have a center fuel tank. at lest in Opensky s set up........

David

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    The stock FS 737 will 'not' make it to Hawaii. I dont know how much the Opensky model has for fuel, but the stock 400 doesnt make it. I tried many times to make it to Hawaii out of LAX and ran out every time. I later talked with an airline pilot about it, and he was saying that Hawaii 737 runners are equipped with long range tanks, (at least the older ones were), and that was how they make the journey. (Not external drop tanks mind you, lol.. Larger internal fuel cells).

:ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Some of the NG series 737's will go for longer than ya want to sit in one. At least 7+45. My recollection is that even some of the earlier models could be equipped with an extra tank in the aft cargo pit.

Of course to get the fuel economy optimum speed and altitude must be flown. In a 737 fuel consumption tends to go way up after M.74. The NG's are again a little better. High power at low altitude does indeed use up a lot of fuel!

Cheers: T.

Charter Member 2015
    this was just a 265nm trip from one end of the hawaii islands to the other. so this 737-600 dreamliner has about 525 nm range? should it be more? I could change the fuel flow in the aircraft.cfg file to 1.1 or something.

David

Didn't quite escape.
    The B736 is the baby of the family, so not really designed for the long hops that the B738 and B739 are - they're more intended for feeder routes to put people on bigger aircraft to do the long hauls. That said, it should still be capable of doing four figure distance trips, so something isn't quite right there.

I know of airlines who use B736s for three and four hour flights, so it should still go a lot further than that one does in time, as well as distance. As fliger747 says, you don't want to start pushing the speed much above M0.74, and you want to be up in the FL3xx levels to be getting decent ranges, but even at 10,000' it shouldn't run out of fuel in two hours. Anyone know what the ETOPS rating of a B736 is?

Ian P.

Charter Member 2015
    this is characteristics from boeing of the 737-600. I maped out a flight plan form west coast to hawaii and it is a little over 2000nm. so the 737-600 should make it with no problem. Project-Opensky s Dreamliner has 2,544 us gallons.

737-600 Technical Characteristics
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Passengers</TH><TD class="brand bgltgray "></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Typical 2-class configuration </TH><TD class="brand ">110</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Typical 1-class configuration </TH><TD class="brand ">132 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Cargo</TH><TD class="brand ">720 cu ft (20.4 cu m)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Engines
    (maximum thrust)
    </TH><TD class="brand ">CFMI CFM56-7
    22,700 lb

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Maximum Fuel Capacity</TH><TD class="brand ">6,875 U.S. gal (26,020 L)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Maximum Takeoff Weight</TH><TD class="brand ">145,500 lb (66,000 kg)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Maximum Range</TH><TD class="brand ">3,050 nautical miles (5,648 km) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TH class="brand bgltgray " scope=row>Typical Cruise Speed
    (at 35,000 feet)
    </TH><TD class="brand ">0.785 Mach </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>