Rollus Mirage 2000-5

Thread: Rollus Mirage 2000-5

Rollus Mirage 2000-5

Does anyone know what's happened to the Roland Laborie (Rollus) Mirage 2000-5 for FSX?

I can't seem to find it anywhere, and Frank's download link no longer works.

Dave

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I believe the same thing that happened to his payware Rafale: Legal issues with Dassault forced him to pull the files.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

The removal of the Rafale from SimMarket after only 3-4 months was for sure because of issues with Dassault. He had used "Dassault" in the product name and at the time was having better Rafale sales success than they were. He had a Rafale B almost ready to go as an addon but in the end wrapped the cockpit in a fictitious aircraft he called the Wasp. He does sells that through SimMarket.

The freeware Mirage 2000-5 was always iffy as far as being able to download a copy. It was originally to be distributed on a CD from PC Pilot magazine but was eventually also made available from his own website. There were bandwidth issues (file was 400MB) and the website was hacked a couple of times so he threw in the towel on it. If the file wasn't some big I'd ask if he would allow me to distribute it but I don't want the bandwidth hit either.

There have been several repaints for it recently with his authorization and available from www.virtuader.com so it would be nice if it was readily available.
    :ernae:

Dave you can download them here:

M2000#1 :
    M2000#2 :
    M2000#3 :

Cheers,:salute:
    Hank

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    If the file wasn't some big I'd ask if he would allow me to distribute it but I don't want the bandwidth hit either.
    Sadly the EULA is very restrictive, but a repack of the entire aircraft could save a lot of space; all textures are present in all folders so by adding a texture.cfg and deleting everything except the fuselage and wings textures you can save 500-600 mb install space. Also each texture folder has another folder with a set of smaller sized replacement textures inside; one should be enough so you can delete the twelve others. Edit: The names had me fooled, but they are replacements for the outside textures, so they stay.
    Use 7-zip at maximum compression and you could bring the download size down to well under 100 mb I think.

Edit2: Original zip file: 390 mb.
    Repacked 7-zip files with 1024 replacement textures included: 168 mb
    Repacked 7-zip files without 1024 replacement textures: 158 mb
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Not a bad idea since I was lucky enough to get this originally, there is ALWAYS lamenting over it whenever I post a screenshot from those who've lost the file or never had a chance to get it while it was up for that limited time originally.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by hae5904 View Post
    Dave you can download them here:

M2000#1 :
    M2000#2 :
    M2000#3 :

Cheers,:salute:
    Hank
    Thanks, Hank.

According to my Internet Download Manager tool, the file (at least #3) is 177MB in size. Took about 11 mins on my crap ATT DSL link.
    File #1: 35MB
    File #2: 160MB
    One down, two more to go...

Hmmm. IDM hung on #2 - perhaps I hit the MediaFire server too hard... Will try again later.
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz (OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 memory, Windows 7. All home built.

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Hank, please don't take my comment in a bad way, but as far as I understood, Rollus wanted his Mirage to dissappear from the Internet. He always refused to see it uploaded to any other website, even well known addresses like avsim or even here.
    Sharing links to download his plane in public posts is probably not a good idea.

Would be a very good idea to get permission of the original author first. Along the lines of what Daube said, making it available might hurt any future DA product plans of Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Hank, please don't take my comment in a bad way, but as far as I understood, Rollus wanted his Mirage to dissappear from the Internet. He always refused to see it uploaded to any other website, even well known addresses like avsim or even here.
    Sharing links to download his plane in public posts is probably not a good idea.

I have concerns about sharing the above downloads as well. I have sent this thread to the Administrators for advice and action. We may have to pull the links for legal reasons. Thanks to Daube and fsafranek for your concern. Back soon on what to do.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Agreed. My comments were based on getting permissions first. Just so we're clear.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Charter Member 2015
    One of my favourite videos, featuring Rollus' masterpiece..

embedding not working click --> here <--
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Understood gents!
    Though I never read anything about Roland wanted to remove the file in the first place, neither his wish to have it no longer available on the net.
    Simple as that.

But if that's the case, disabling the links will solve it.

:salute:
    Hank

Thanks Hank, sorry for that.

Thanks to everyone for understanding. We all want to do the right thing.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    ... Rollus wanted his Mirage to dissappear from the Internet. He always refused to see it uploaded to any other website, even well known addresses like avsim or even here. ...
    Unfortunately some people forget that freeware does not mean that conditions can't be placed on its use and distribution. You are free to use not abuse.
    Mike Mann