AH-56 Cheyenne in development

Thread: AH-56 Cheyenne in development

AH-56 Cheyenne in development

Looks like Area51Sim is doing yet another "What if" helicopter.
    I always dreamed of a AH-56 Cheyenne in FSX, but figures it would have been more of a Tim "Piglet" Conrad project.
    I'll be looking forward to this one personally. :mixedsmi:

Attachment 89865

Banned
    Blog Entries

Additional Cheyenne info

In 1966, the Army awarded Lockheed a contract for ten AH-56 prototypes. The AH-56's maiden flight took place on 21 September 1967. In January 1968, the Army awarded Lockheed a production contract, based on flight testing progress. A fatal crash and technical problems affecting performance put Cheyenne development behind schedule, resulting in the cancellation of the production contract on 19 May 1969. Development of the Cheyenne continued in the hope that the helicopter would eventually enter service.

On 9 August 1972, the Army canceled the Cheyenne program. Controversy with the United States Air Force over the Cheyenne's role in combat as well as the political climate regarding military acquisition programs had caused the Army to amend the service's attack helicopter requirements in favor of a twin-engined conventional helicopter, viewed as less technical and more survivable. The Army announced a new program for an Advanced Attack Helicopter (AAH) on 17 August 1972, which led to the development of the AH-64 Apache.

Basically, the USAF was worried the costs of the Cheyenne would mean less money for the USAF. They pushed for it's cancellation and promised to deliver on the AX, which became the A-10. Of course, the USAF has been trying to kill the A-10 for decades since, but it continually proves to be too good to replace and too damned cost effective! ...Having said that, I've really been looking forward to this bird being in FSX as well! It reminds me of a terrestrial version of the fighter from the Last Starfighter movie, especially the way the gunner's whole chair rotated with the gun for aiming in the nose, sort of like an updated WW2 era turret. Now if we could just get the beautiful, original, S-67 Blackhawk, I would be in helo heaven.