fw190 airfile

Thread: fw190 airfile

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Exclamation fw190 airfile

Hello,

Just uploaded a new airfile. It is as accurate as the data available allows it to be....well I think anyway. :gossip: It corrects a few errors in the original and uses actual German operational data.

Have fun.

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries
    not to appear , out of wack - dumb , but , which plane version , and where do i stick it

LB/ JOSHUA

Well,

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1 View Post
    not to appear , out of wack - dumb , but , which plane version , and where do i stick it

LB/ JOSHUA
    It is for the A5. Just open your fw_190A_5 folder, back up the original aircraft.cfg and *.air file and drop these in. I am not sure this is the best I can do but I'll keep on tinkering.

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries
    SIR NACH" where might one find the added on air file .. i searched and seem to have missed it or looked in wrong arena ...tks

LB/JOSHUA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy1 View Post
    SIR NACH" where might one find the added on air file .. i searched and seem to have missed it or looked in wrong arena ...tks

LB/JOSHUA
    It is not up yet. It should be in the other section once loaded.

Hey Nacht, which things did you correct? If you're talking torque and control repsonse I may have to buy you a case.

:friday:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

Airfile

Squiffy - A couple of bottles of 101 proof Wild Turkey will do just fine. :friday::friday:

I found that the Microsoft airfile had several errors in it such as cog, roll rate, area of some control surfaces, and a few other minor issues.

I hope that she's a bit more manageble.

Oh, I send you my address ..... :wave:

I suppose there is no need to remind people to delete the bdp file?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Wink

I currently use the flight dynamics done by Jerry:

CFS3 Flight Dynamics for Focke-Wulf Fw190A5 Shrike (c) Jerry Beckwith
    + Empty Weight: 7800 lbs
    + Max Power: 1700 Hp
    + Maneuver speed: 308 mph @ 8.0 g
    + Max speed: 394 mph @ 18000 ft
    + Max speed at sea-level: 347 mph
    + Climb rate: 3500 ft/min @ 127 mph
    Flight Dynamics By: Jerry Beckwith
    Mudpond Virtual Aircraft
    FD Build 41 - 12/5/04 08:25 PM
    Flight Dynamics Workbook V2.84.252

I certainly welcome any improvements but I have to ask, are your dynamics better than the previous updates?

Smile Well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Starspeeder_3000 View Post
    I currently use the flight dynamics done by Jerry:

CFS3 Flight Dynamics for Focke-Wulf Fw190A5 Shrike (c) Jerry Beckwith
    + Empty Weight: 7800 lbs
    + Max Power: 1700 Hp
    + Maneuver speed: 308 mph @ 8.0 g
    + Max speed: 394 mph @ 18000 ft
    + Max speed at sea-level: 347 mph
    + Climb rate: 3500 ft/min @ 127 mph
    Flight Dynamics By: Jerry Beckwith
    Mudpond Virtual Aircraft
    FD Build 41 - 12/5/04 08:25 PM
    Flight Dynamics Workbook V2.84.252

I certainly welcome any improvements but I have to ask, are your dynamics better than the previous updates?
    Since no one in this forum has ever flown a FW190 "better" is certainly subjective. Every modeler takes different approaches to get the feel they want. I strive to use 100% accurate data and placements of the pilot, fuel tanks, and control surface areas and movements. Some folks do not do this and they manipulate the file to get the plane to behave in ways they want which may or may not be accurate.

That is not to say Beckwith's file is bad it is just different. An airfile made in 2005 with the old software even with the SAME data will yield vastly different results.

So, back to my files. I use the data that is official German from handbooks and other documented sources. I also use flight reports from several evaluators to develop a balanced model. I do not adjust the COG to get the "feel" I want because I do not know what the feel is. I just try to put the numbers in, fly the plane and make some adjustments to rate of climb, speed, engine power and such to mimic the reports. Some guys do not use accurate defelection angles for the control surfaces which cause HUGE problems in the roll rate and elavator control etc.

Just remember the stock Spitfire files make the plane a virtual rocket ship compared to anything else. This is NOT accurate. We often critize IL2 as some feel that the allies are given better files then the axis (I don't know I am just repeating what I have read).

Use the files as you wish and you pick the file that you want to play with. As was said in a thread yesterday turning with the opponenet was not always the way to beat them (Zero vs Wildcat). You knew your plane and used it strengths.

Pauke Pauke! :friday:

Well, I'm not prepared to get into the "how accurate is it?" fight - Ted's explanation is a good, coherent argument which I find thoroughly convincing - but I will say that I find this version certainly flies more convincingly. Pilots of the Spit MkV were saying they were finding the FW difficult to come to terms with, yet many airfiles until now make the thing fly like an unstable brick. This one doesn't. So I for one am happy to accept Ted's claims at face value, and enjoy an FW I can actually fly with!

Great stuff, Ted! Are you thinking of one or two other subjects which need it???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Good job Ted! COG is serious business. It was clear there was something wrong. I wonder how the AI will handle it now? Tee-hee!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

Thanks!!!! A great mod,hope there might be one later for the FW190A8 also. Thanks again. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Since no one in this forum has ever flown a FW190 "better" is certainly subjective. Every modeler takes different approaches to get the feel they want. I strive to use 100% accurate data and placements of the pilot, fuel tanks, and control surface areas and movements. Some folks do not do this and they manipulate the file to get the plane to behave in ways they want which may or may not be accurate.

That is not to say Beckwith's file is bad it is just different. An airfile made in 2005 with the old software even with the SAME data will yield vastly different results.

So, back to my files. I use the data that is official German from handbooks and other documented sources. I also use flight reports from several evaluators to develop a balanced model. I do not adjust the COG to get the "feel" I want because I do not know what the feel is. I just try to put the numbers in, fly the plane and make some adjustments to rate of climb, speed, engine power and such to mimic the reports. Some guys do not use accurate defelection angles for the control surfaces which cause HUGE problems in the roll rate and elavator control etc.
    I certainly meant no disrespect to you or your efforts with my above comments. I think your explanation is valid and you make some very good points! I just wondered if your changes would be considered an "upgrade" to the previous versions. Since it's all subjective I guess it is a pointless question unless you are used to flying the real thing.

Thanks for all your time and effort!:ernae:

Fm

I certainly meant no disrespect to you or your efforts with my above comments. I think your explanation is valid and you make some very good points! I just wondered if your changes would be considered an "upgrade" to the previous versions. Since it's all subjective I guess it is a pointless question unless you are used to flying the real thing.

Thanks for all your time and effort!:ernae:
    No offense taken.:welcome: If my response was too pointed please excuse my approach. I ALWAYS want feedback :gossip: it is the only way to improve.

I was checking on the progree of White 1 and came here after checking.I then saw this link and thought I add to it instead of just lerking.If you read your history about the 190 you'll see that the 190 wasn't a plane to turn fight with the Spit Mk-V's but rather "climbing and diving" or as we call BnZ fighting...here's a link.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...10/ai_n8925541

PS google search white 1...you'll like it...lol

Aceaviator91
    Sounds great but, I have a few questions.

If I download this and install it will I still be able to connect to someone's IP games? Or will they have to have the same air file?

Also when/where can I download this? Is it up now?

My last question, is, how acurate do you think it is to the real thing? Because I have grown used to flying the "stock" version of Fw-190 does this make the plane "too easy"?
    (do you know what I meen?)

Thanks,
    Aceaviator91

Quote Originally Posted by ceechow View Post
    I was checking on the progree of White 1 and came here after checking.I then saw this link and thought I add to it instead of just lerking.If you read your history about the 190 you'll see that the 190 wasn't a plane to turn fight with the Spit Mk-V's but rather "climbing and diving" or as we call BnZ fighting...here's a link.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...10/ai_n8925541

PS google search white 1...you'll like it...lol
    I think the article is a bit missleading as it uses the somwhat foggy term " turn combat"
    It's true that the Spit had the smaller horizontal turn radius but the 190 was allover more agile, more responsive in the controls, more manouvreable and clearly better in the vertical.
    If the Spit V tried to turn the Fw190 would make a jojo and get the Spit from there. Bottom line the Mk V would not win a "turn combat" against an Fw190.

EDIT: Oh, just notice that's Eric Brown's stuff there. :-)
    Mathias

Aceaviator91
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I think the article is a bit missleading as it uses the somwhat foggy term " turn combat"
    It's true that the Spit had the smaller horizontal turn radius but the 190 was allover more agile, more responsive in the controls, more manouvreable and clearly better in the vertical.
    If the Spit V tried to turn the Fw190 would make a jojo and get the Spit from there. Bottom line the Mk V would not win a "turn combat" against an Fw190.

That is a good point Mathias. I think something people glance over, or at least in CFS3 anyway, is that the German planes were quite good. In CFS3 at least it seems people just pick the same 2 planes, the Spitfire and the Tempest V, when in actual air combat these two planes might not be the "best".

I think one thing to remember is, You can have the best plane but the plane is only as good as the pilot who is flying it.

Well I officially love the changes you made NachtPiloten!!! The Fw-190A-5 is much more stable now and overall it out performs many of the other aircraft just as it should! I can now climb and dive on the enemy aircraft without any problems and the ground handling is much improved. Thanks for all the hard work! :faint::ernae::woot:

It's been asked before but any chance of working on the A-8 model or perhaps even the D-9?

A-8 and D-9

Well I officially love the changes you made NachtPiloten!!! The Fw-190A-5 is much more stable now and overall it out performs many of the other aircraft just as it should! I can now climb and dive on the enemy aircraft without any problems and the ground handling is much improved. Thanks for all the hard work! :faint::ernae::woot:

It's been asked before but any chance of working on the A-8 model or perhaps even the D-9?
    The A-8 can be done, but there is a D-9 at AvH; knowing the FM builder should be on target.