Sibwings An-2 is released
Page 1 of 19 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Sibwings An-2 is released

Sibwings An-2 is released

Hey guys,
    Looks like the Sibwings An-2 is out. Looks really good.

http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here are some screenies, haven't even fired it up yet. Quite a different beast than the other cabin biplane recently released LOL

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The thing can takeoff and land on a dime with a slight breeze!

I've been waiting for this since December when it was mentioned at Sibwings.
    I am looking forward to reviews not only of the plane, but the whole process if what is involved in buying it and getting it installed.
    When I bought the Sibwings Birddog about two years ago, it was about the hardest download I ever went through, it took almost two days to finally get it running with many e-mails to Sibwings.
    I do hope that the download and installation has been simplified.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    'Ven vee, in Mother Russia beeeldt bi-planeski, vee make BIG bi-planeski! BEEEEG!'

'Like... Air-liner BEEEG!'
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Only $20 US!! Expected it was going to be more than that, a must buy at that price.

Initial pros, cons, and general comments:

Installation:
    Easy as it gets. After purchase, they'll send an email with reciept, key (line of text), and a link to the installer. Run the automated installer, which will first install the plane, then MS Net Framework 4.5. When finishing on the Framework install, it'll prompt you for your name (email) and key. Input that, verify, and you're all set. I had no problems with it. When installing, you may want to turn off your antivirus (in my case Avast) as that delayed the Net Framework portion.

The plane itself:
    I'm still exploring, but the cockpit is in English, except for the ADF system.
    I personally did not read the flight manual before flying, but one is included that explains the history of the aircraft, then goes around the cockpit explaining systems, ending the a full checklist.

Bugs (first and foremost):
    1. It may be my speakers, but the flywheel start sound seems to skip and occasionally distort when running up to speed.
    2. There seems to be a built in ground-shadow effect from the aircraft, and you can see the horizontal texture line run across the mid-point of the wheels. (Different shading)
    Other than that, I'm not seeing anything else that jumps out quite yet.

Pros:
    • Expertly modeled interior and exterior, with realistic systems, flight dynamics, and sounds. You can land this thing pretty much anywhere, and with a bit of a breeze, you may as well be in a helicopter!
    • Many here may appreciate this... the cockpit (at least of two repaints I've tried so far) is in English, except for the ADF system. All functions also have tooltips available. Perhaps other languages will be available later.

Cons:
    • Other than the bugs mentioned above, a con for me is a lack of a transponder for flight into controlled airspace, but that's very much a personal preference.
    • No problem for me, but may be for some....you must use differential braking to steer this aircraft. The tailwheel is castoring, and taxiing does take getting used to.

I can go into further detail later, but there's a very, very brief look. It's US$20, and it seems to be worth it so far!

I got it, it's really cool, read the manual.hehe!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Thanks for the reviews, I'll download it. It's hard to believe that this is the same price as the Staggerwing.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    lol, This is kinda funny. Here i am down at MUGM NAS on temp duty and this AN2 releases and I see the announcement at the same time a Cuban AeroTaxi AN2 is transiting thru with permission MUGM NAS air space for MUGT lol. Now time for me to purchase this Classic Russian/Polish beast.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I'm one who was told I not would buy this type because Biplane / slow / and almost GA ...But Friggen Gorgeous .. engine startup procedure is simply boootyful .. My first SIBWINGS purchase , suitably impressed .. did i mention the startup . Ground handling appears to be a little sluggish by compare to film and video ... pump the rudder pedal on full right for example , thought the radius would be a lot smaller , guess only been out for a few hours , A Big Thumbs Up by me . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I've been waiting for this since December when it was mentioned at Sibwings.
    I do hope that the download and installation has been simplified.
    Little mention here about installing and it tricked me for a few minutes , this my first SIBWINGS as i mentioned ...

Asks for your name .. you put in the your email address rather your name ... that part tricked me - hope that helps

Asks for the key ... put that in and away you go

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    I'm one who was told I not would buy this type because Biplane / slow / and almost GA ...But Friggen Gorgeous .. engine startup procedure is simply boootyful .. My first SIBWINGS purchase , suitably impressed .. did i mention the startup . Ground handling appears to be a little sluggish by compare to film and video ... pump the rudder pedal on full right for example , thought the radius would be a lot smaller , guess only been out for a few hours , A Big Thumbs Up by me . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Err you mentioned GA curse word. This is a true Russian Bush beast and Cuban Air Taxi.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Err you mentioned GA curse word. This is a true Russian Bush beast and Cuban Air Taxi.
    Yeah .. that horrid word , I rebooted the PC and continued the lesson for why it will not turn , i retract the last mention off that and it a little patience it turned on a dime :isadizzy:.. just a little practice

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    From therir Facebook page:

In this FSX package we offer you the most common An-2 twelve-seater passenger model, six repaints and a detailed user guide.

The main features include:
    3D Models
    • Accurate exterior and interior models developed specially for FSX
    • HD textures with specular, bump and reflection maps
    • FPS friendly
    Panel & Gauges
    • All gauges are developed with 3D parts
    • Separately animated realistic needles shadows
    • Most knobs have moving along shadows
    • Panel surface contains bump-map
    • Gauge glass has reflection and fingertips visible at a specific sun angle
    • Realistic night light
    • If you use DX10 you'll have dynamic shadows inside the cockpit
    Systems
    • Fully simulated electric system
    • Partly simulated pneumatic system
    • Realistic engine starting system (Ctrl+E doesn't work)
    • Simulated engine overheat and engine fire, anti-fire system
    Flight dynamics
    • Accurate flight dynamics developed in close cooperation with the real An-2 pilots
    Sounds
    • Engine sounds recorded from the real aircraft
    • Most switches, knobs and levers are sounded

Our promo price is 15.99 euro only! That’s the best price for a product like this on the market, but note that the price will grow as updates are released.
    Will definitely pick this up when I get home!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Whoa. This is definitely a beauty.

BUT I gotta read the manual. I've had a heck of a time getting her started the right way, only to take off blowing smoke and fire.

Guess I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Holy Smokes! Another great aircraft!

Loving it so far, really bassy beast of a radial!

Anyone getting a really sharp ear piercing noise when applying the handbrake?, and I was just on a grass strip and whenever I used the brakes its squealing like a piggy

Quote Originally Posted by Timbohobo View Post
    Loving it so far, really bassy beast of a radial!

Anyone getting a really sharp ear piercing noise when applying the handbrake?, and I was just on a grass strip and whenever I used the brakes its squealing like a piggy
    Yep, that's a feature! Pneumatic brakes and old brake discs!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Yep, that's a feature! Pneumatic brakes and old brake discs!

Yep you're correct, after reading a bit deeper and a few videos it is so :P

If you like A2A
    The Russian way
    Don't buy this tomorrow
    Buy it today!

P.S. No prob with starting the engine, it is just fantasticly realistic. No prob with differential braking neither, just get a little speed first.

if you don't like to use differential braking, just change the number "180" to "45" in "point.0" in "aircraft.cfg"

Great plane!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    No problem for me, but may be for some....you must use differential braking to steer this aircraft. The tailwheel is castoring, and taxiing does take getting used to.
    Got to fly in one of these at the start of the year. You could hear during the takeoff the squeal of the hydraulic brakes as the pilot tried to keep her straight (I asked the pilot about the noise later and he mentioned about using the brakes during takeoff to steer the plane)