Best DC-3 for FSX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best DC-3 for FSX?

Blog Entries
    Bazz the AH/JF DC-3 is great! There things I love about the MAAM DC-3 but if I had to pick the best today it would probably be yours. It could use some updating on flight dynamics and aging on the interior. You guys made a fine aircraft! I wish I was skilled enough to add the aging myself. I have been on 4 DC-3s and got to right seat one on a Museum's DC-3 I used to do volunteer work at so I have a feeling how it ought to feel.

By the way Bazz, did I mention your Lockheed Electra 10A is a MASTERPIECE! WOW!!! While not a deep SIMULATION it really is a kick to fly! Aiming for the Aztec one day...thanks to you and your team!
    Last edited by txnetcop; June 23rd, 2016 at 12:59.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

texnetcop, I am not sure if you noticed, but the message from Bazz is a few years old

I do agree with your remark regarding the Lockheed Electra 10A. It's a gem.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    texnetcop, I am not sure if you noticed, but the message from Bazz is a few years old

I do agree with your remark regarding the Lockheed Electra 10A. It's a gem.
    Yep I noticed but if he is watching I wanted him to know how much I have enjoyed his aircraft.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I am watching Ted and thankyou for your kind words, much appreciated. I also accept happily, that times move on, skills improve and technology allows better.
    We could revisit the DC3 series but honestly, I am not sure whether it is the best use of time and resources these days. It was great to have a platinum award from PC Pilot but I wonder how she'd fair today. The magnificent VC that is currently developing is going to be very difficult to match too - especially the price!

However, if people want a re-visit, you need to pepper Just Flight with the requests. Not our call.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    At the risk of getting bombarded with unnecessary comments, I really would genuinely like to know what you people find so awful about the Just Flight DC3 series. We took great time and patience to get shapes and details correct. There's a huge amount of detail in the models that people have never commented on. I know there is criticism of the texturing in the VC that has been well covered but what else is so wrong? We built over accurate plans and even the tyres have separate tread blocks modeled in. What else do we have to do?

Please try to keep comments useable.. I am genuinely interested to know.

It was obviously good enough for PC Pilot - they gave it a Platinum award.
    BAZ I have all the DC-3's/C-47s they all have their good points and otherwise. I have actually flown DC-3's for real and while I had no criticisms with the JF version as far as how it looked I found the VC to be a pain. Here is why. I set my eye-point and positioning in the VC based on where a real pilot would actually sit in the aircraft and hence what you would see and pan about I found the JF put me to close to the window frame unless I zoomed back out which gave an unreal look, for instance if you sit properly in a DC-3 you can just see the round top of the nose and the engines out the captain co-pilot sides by look about this I cannot do in any FSX model which I guess is an issue with the way the internal modelling is done vis a vis the externals. I also thought the instrument textures just a little too fresh or plastic looking for my taste and let me say every DC-3 was a dogs breakfast as far as the cockpits was concerned. But I guess the biggest drawback really was the lack of suitable repaints and I find the JF paint and textures too difficult to work with.

I thought the MAAM Sim had the best VC but the default FSX is not bad at all and easily tweaked to look like a real DC-3. I guess for overall accuracy and preference I think the Manfred Jahn is tops the Default DC-3 is not accurate and only the Jahn model actually gets the nose shape correct.

I still have the all the models including the JF DC-3 but alas my preference is for the Jahn version and not because it is free but it is the best for me.

If it's any consolation baz, the preview pic with the working wipers prompted me to put some into my model. I still think it's a cool and often overlooked feature, especially in smog breathers like the DC-3.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I set my eye-point and positioning in the VC based on where a real pilot would actually sit in the aircraft and hence what you would see and pan about I found the JF put me to close to the window frame unless I zoomed back out which gave an unreal look, for instance if you sit properly in a DC-3 you can just see the round top of the nose and the engines out the captain co-pilot sides by look about this I cannot do in any FSX model which I guess is an issue with the way the internal modelling is done vis a vis the externals.
    You also can see neither in the default VC. A C-47 training film says that you can actually check gear deployment from the cockpit, which is simply not possible with the limitations imposed by the sim graphics engine (clipping), especially at large fields of view, no matter what model you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    If it's any consolation baz, the preview pic with the working wipers prompted me to put some into my model. I still think it's a cool and often overlooked feature, especially in smog breathers like the DC-3.

You also can see neither in the default VC. A C-47 training film says that you can actually check gear deployment from the cockpit, which is simply not possible with the limitations imposed by the sim graphics engine (clipping), especially at large fields of view, no matter what model you're using.
    Bjoern - this is actually achievable in the Jahn C-47 with some view mods (there are some about although I cannot recall what they were but a search on FlightSim and elsewhere will find them) and judicious use of moving the eyepoint back and forth and up and down, eventually you get it be right, the only criticism I have is the nose is not quite round at this view but is acceptable and a hell of a lot better than the rest. There have also been some great texture and VC cockpit colour mods that I have used to replicate cockpit colours that also varied between operators. Not to mention sound packs.

Anyway like all things in the simworld there are a lot personal preferences and tastes and I personally am not interested in complete fidelity and realism although some models have come very close but model behaviour is very important, in other words, I want the numbers I get and see for power settings and attitudes to be correct the rest is icing on the cake. After all it is a game but as an ex real world flight instructor I and organisations I have worked with over the years have actually used MSFS to teach young new pilots how to manage the procedural aspects of cockpit management and flight, so the numbers being right was critical but the eye candy made the experience for young recruits believable. I know its off topic but I know a hell of a lot of real world pilots (heavy metal drivers included) who have used MSFS for years to practice instrument approaches etc before the dreaded real life sim and renewal sessions, its a wonderful tool and lots of fun.

I miss the DC-3 but the realities of its operation and age mean that is a memory but they were great memories, well not all of them, it was no great performer with an engine out and they all leaked in the rain usually on your lap or shirt. That sort of realism I do not need. Have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 4