GeForce GT 640 woes

Thread: GeForce GT 640 woes

GeForce GT 640 woes

I have just replaced my AMD Radeon HD6470M with a GeForce GT 640, and so far it has been a disaster. With the AMD I was getting an easy 30 fps using Orbx recommended settings, but with the new card there is flashing of parts of the aircraft even in the free flight selection screen, flashing of parts of all aircraft, not just player, when the game loads and very slow transition between views. I don't think it is just FSX, though, because there is similar flashing of the 3D sample in the Nvidia control panel. has anyone else experienced anything like this, please?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I have just replaced my AMD Radeon HD6470M with a GeForce GT 640, and so far it has been a disaster. With the AMD I was getting an easy 30 fps using Orbx recommended settings, but with the new card there is flashing of parts of the aircraft even in the free flight selection screen, flashing of parts of all aircraft, not just player, when the game loads and very slow transition between views. I don't think it is just FSX, though, because there is similar flashing of the 3D sample in the Nvidia control panel. has anyone else experienced anything like this, please?
    I have been running nvidia since I started...this is usually either a driver issue, or a combination of driver/settings (3D).
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

SOH-CM-2023
    I had problems with my GT630 (black screen) until I downloaded the latest drivers, now all seems OK (Touch wood) & am very happy with its performance in FSX as well as FS9.
    Keith

I switched back to Nvidia with a pair of GTX690s in SLI, aside from being rather toasty during our Summer they are fan-bloody-tastic, four way SLI!
    However, I keep the automatic check for drivers box ticked, and that includes beta drivers.
    Always the best place to start IMHO.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Switching manufacturers requires a very thorough cleaning of old drivers before installing new ones, and like mentioned above, make sure you get the latest update.

Having said that, I had similar issues when switching from an old GTX275 to my current 560Ti; runnig my FsX.cfg though here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html fixed my problems.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thank you. I thought drivers seemed a likely culprit, but I downloaded the latest 310.90-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql this morning. I am doubtful if fsx.cfg is involved, as the problem exists in the Nvidia settings screen too.

Did you download and install Nvidia Inspector and then follow this instruction for setting it up for fsx? http://www.simforums.com/forums/sett...opic36586.html
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

GT 640 is an OK card, but not spectacular. You might want to look at cards that have a better memory buffer. Check out the GTX 650ti or go to GTX 660 if you power supply can handle them. I have a GTX 680 and love it, but it is expensive.
    If your motherboard is AMD based, that may also be the problem. AMD discrete cards are optimized for AMD chipsets.
    And yes indeed, clear out your AMD drivers, and update your Nvidia driver that came with the card. Most likely it has rev'd already.

Unfortunately it sounds like a failing card, if you're seeing the flashing in the settings screen too. I'd suggest swapping it out where you purchased it.

Thats a whole hundred on mine now man, gutted! 560Ti
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Having said that, I had similar issues when switching from an old GTX275 to my current 560Ti; runnig my FsX.cfg though here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html fixed my problems.
    I have also experienced similar visual problems. Starting with a fresh set of configuration files and then restoring settings worked every time.

Nvidia Inspector didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion.

I am beginning to wonder if it might be the power supply. An internet search for the HD 6470M brings up this reference: Specifications and benchmarks of the AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics card for notebooks. It occurs to me that a power supply in a desktop adequate for this card might not be enough to run the GeForce GT640. Is that a possibility?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Unfortunately it sounds like a failing card, if you're seeing the flashing in the settings screen too. I'd suggest swapping it out where you purchased it.
    I think Denny is right about this...I would swap and pay a little more for a GT660 or 680. Also make sure every bit of the ATI drivers are gone from the registry. The 640 is pretty anemic when it comes to FSX or Prepar3d 3D.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Nvidia Inspector didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion.

I am beginning to wonder if it might be the power supply. An internet search for the HD 6470M brings up this reference: Specifications and benchmarks of the AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics card for notebooks. It occurs to me that a power supply in a desktop adequate for this card might not be enough to run the GeForce GT640. Is that a possibility?

Read this review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/n...eview-roundup/
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thank you to those who tried to help. I changed the power supply from 300 to 700 watts, but that didn't help so I think the card itself was probably faulty. For the moment I have reinstalled the original one, which does at least work.

There are new nVidia drivers out yesterday. New one is 314.07. supposed to be a performance improvement. I installed it and so far no problems. Can't say it's faster or better but it seems to be smoother.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Thanks for the hu Joe:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine