RAZBAM announces the Harrier Gr.7/Gr.9 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAZBAM announces the Harrier Gr.7/Gr.9

It is the Spanish Navy STOVL carrier R11 Principe de Asturias which is available as freeware at Simviation

You can also find the R11 here at SOH downloads page, together with the LHD Juan Carlos I (FSX ships page)

Ok, thx a lot! Noticed in manual different carrier with ramps too.

Any ideas?

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Another paint in progress...

Attachment 80363
    Attachment 80364
    Did this repaint ever get finished and uploaded and, if so, where to? Looks amazing and would like to add it to my hanger :mixedsmi:

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

My new video (as VSTOL landing tutorial) for Gr.7/Gr.9.

But better to see on YT as HD version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrShTkxbcM .

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Ok, I finished the review about Harrier Gr.7 & Gr. 9 done by Razbam. Well done and very complex model with two FM's (practice makes perfect) - I like it very mutch (if You like DCS A-10C - perfect model to You too). Nice fps too (dont know why but for me better than AV-8B of R.). Near 60h on my flying clock with this bird.
    For sure, it is in my native language but if You want please to use Google translator button. Many screenies too .

Direct link: http://yoyosims.pl/fsx-harrier-gr79-razbam , main: http://yoyosims.pl/

Thanks for the review YoYo!

Very well done, CHEERS !

לחיים
    Hank

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron
    Someone know if it will be update to be Tacpack SDK compatible like the F-15E?

Thanks

Nicely done YoYo, I have the US version (AV-8B) but found the review spot on. This helps me decide on how to do a review for another product (Cera H60), I do like how you incorporated screenshots to back up the text.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Ok, thx a lot! Noticed in manual different carrier with ramps too.

Any ideas?

HMS_Invincible

Available 3D light effect the GR.7?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Available 3D light effect the GR.7?
    You thinking about 3D Redux lights? Didnt see it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    You thinking about 3D Redux lights? Didnt see it.
    I mean, 3D lights values
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by letourn View Post
    Someone know if it will be update to be Tacpack SDK compatible like the F-15E?

Thanks

Well I guess that is why VRS mentiond them as being in the Tac Pack SDK beta.
    Non the less, a DCS version is planned.

Cheers,
    Hank

425th Alouette MAS and VMA214 MAV VA Squadron
    Thanks Hank..I knew about the DCS but did not know about the Tacpack Beta

Thanks for the review Yoyo.

To be fair, I think it's important to be clear that the RAZBAM Harrier is challenging to fly in the VSTOL regime for reasons other than the those which make the actual jet challenging...at least in part.

The shifts in the RAZBAM FM are a bit abrupt both in transition to semi-jetbourne flight and again when the aircraft slows to a hover. These transitions and the sensitivity of the thrust axis in vertical flight make the RAZBAM jet a bit more squirrelly than the aircraft.

Of course, the actual jet has other issues which make it challenging in other ways as is generally the case in comparing FSX to real flight.

The other thing that should be pointed out is that the systems modeling in the RAZBAM model is a fair approximation of the real jet, but at a fairly basic level. The article points out that 95% of the switches work (though this number would be lower if we included MPCD functionality) but that does not necessarily mean that the switches work quite as they do in the aircraft.

In the main this doesn't make a huge difference to the average flight simmer. After all, no FSXer should be too upset that the VRS switch doesn't allow you to select between recording the HUD or the MPCD...FSX doesn't record to videotape. The fact that the velocity vector in the HUD may sit above the horizon line while the VSI is indicating a descent, however, is a bit more vexing.

None of this should stop somebody from purchasing the RAZBAM Harrier (for the sake of disclosure I am making these comments about the AV-8B model though I'd be surprised if these issues didn't carry over to the GR.7/9). But I think that those considering paying for the model, should be fairly advised on what they are getting for their $40.

I apologize if I have misinterpreted something from the original review. I confess that my Polish (or Google's for that matter) is nowhere as good as Yoyo's English.

Deacon

AFC Operation

Recently bought this aircraft and in hopes that one of the more experienced users comes across this and can clarify the autopilot operation for me. It puzzles me:

I can't seem to get the AFC to reliably operate as described. Most of the time, it seems to have no effect (aircraft just wanders off course and would eventually crash if i let it). I have had it kick in on occasion though, then it works as advertised. Apparently contrary to the manual, the AFC switch appears to be a two position switch, not offering the momentary 'reset' position. It off position seems to be in the 'reset' position. It also doesn't seem to able to reset the SAS switches. Also, sometimes I seem to get the system into a state where it refuses to allow me to engage the AFC switch. Seems inconsistent. The ALT HOLD seems to work - and apparently somewhat independently of the AFC despite what the manual says.

I don't understand how it's integrated with the FSX Keyboard autopilot command. If the AFC switch is off, the keyboard shortcut doesn't move it. If it's on, the keyboard command turns it off. I don't get it??

Is it me or the Harrier? Have I missed a patch or something?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Recently bought this aircraft and in hopes that one of the more experienced users comes across this and can clarify the autopilot operation for me. It puzzles me:

I can't seem to get the AFC to reliably operate as described. Most of the time, it seems to have no effect (aircraft just wanders off course and would eventually crash if i let it). I have had it kick in on occasion though, then it works as advertised. Apparently contrary to the manual, the AFC switch appears to be a two position switch, not offering the momentary 'reset' position. It off position seems to be in the 'reset' position. It also doesn't seem to able to reset the SAS switches. Also, sometimes I seem to get the system into a state where it refuses to allow me to engage the AFC switch. Seems inconsistent. The ALT HOLD seems to work - and apparently somewhat independently of the AFC despite what the manual says.

I don't understand how it's integrated with the FSX Keyboard autopilot command. If the AFC switch is off, the keyboard shortcut doesn't move it. If it's on, the keyboard command turns it off. I don't get it??

Is it me or the Harrier? Have I missed a patch or something?

Cheers!

Hey Odourboy,

I only have the AV-8B, but mine seems to operate reliably. What I'm going to say is mostly about the aircraft, but may apply to the sim as well.

1. Do you have the three axis SAS switches on (fwd)? I don't think the A/P will work at all if these are off.

2. Do you have the INS switch in NAV or IFA? A/P will not work without the INS.

3. In the aircraft, the AFC switch will really put you in a sort of "Attitude Hold" mode. No heading hold mode exists in the AV-8B, though the A/P will roll wings level if you are banked 5 deg or less. I believe the AFC will hold any AOB up to 60 deg.

4. The RESET position on the AFC switch IRL will reset the SAAHS which is a momentary spring loaded position to reset the software and would really have no function in the sim. Two positions in FSX will give you full functionality in FSX since the SAAHS will never fail.

5. Incidentally, many of the spring loaded "temporary" switch positions in the RAZBAM Harrier will not work as they do in the plane. However, you really don't lose any functionality, so it would have mostly been unnecessary fluff for them to be modeled.

6. The SAS switches are of the lever locked variety which means that you pull them up over a lip when you switch them. They will not "spring off" when you turn the AFC switch off, so you may be looking for something that isn't there in that regard.

On a completely separate note, I often seem to have weird switch anomalies in the more complex aircraft in FSX. I don't know if the sim runs out of CPU cycles or what, but I have shared your pain. You might wish to try contacting RAZBAM with your receipt for the latest version and reinstalling. I have found that this sometimes "heals" a cranky aircraft in FSX.

Deacon

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. I think I see what you are saying. When I have the Attitude Hold switch off, the AFC doesn't do a very good job of holding attitude. I'm getting a slow roll into the turn when I put the aircraft in an AOB.

It seems like the aircraft is trying to demonstrate the attitude hold function, but can't quite get the authority to counter the roll.

So it seems that this function may not work as it does in the plane. To be honest, I'm not aware of any FSX planes that really pull off the attitude hold thing so this may be a hurdle that the developer may not have been able to surmount. Truly, it doesn't work great in the aircraft either and most guys I knew didn't use it much. The altitude hold worked like a champ, though pretty rudimentarily, as there was no altitude capture, vert speed, etc.

Even the "heading hold" was just a wing leveler, so the plane would drift a bit and you would need to manually reset the heading yourself.
    Last edited by Deacon211; January 25th, 2014 at 07:23. Reason: Edited comment

Hi Deacon,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply to my questions... and actually going back to the sim and trying some things for yourself. Most appreciated.

I went back also and tried it again after reading your reply. Yes- SAS switches were all on. The INS switch in NAV or IFA - well sometimes it was... that was part of my problem. I was flipping it around trying to get AFC to work. The other part of my problem appears to be some sort of integration issue with FSX keyboard commands. The AFC function does not seam to play nicely with the FSX autopilot keyboard commands. I think it throws it out of sync with the AFC switch position. Anyway, I was able to get fairly consistent Attitude hold when I got the INS switch in a suitable position and stopped flicking the autopilot on and off through the keyboard command (which is programmed into my HOTAS, so that's why I kept trying to use it). ALT HOLD was fine and still is.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I think I have it sorted. I'm happy to get this functioning because with the somewhat inherent instability of the Harrier, I like to flip on the AFC so I can attend to other work rather than having to constantly fly the plane.

Cheers!

Having been a relative latecomer to Payware aircraft and the complexity some of them achieve, I'd personally advise against using the stock FSX commands for anything that isn't expressly stated in the manual.

Not too often, but often enough to be annoying, using an FSX keyboard shortcut will really throw a monkey wrench into the aircraft designer's attempt to model much more than what the basic FSX function provides.

Deacon