David Eckert Stearman Cockpit Problem

Thread: David Eckert Stearman Cockpit Problem

David Eckert Stearman Cockpit Problem

Hello fellow flight simmers!

I thought I would make my first post after my introduction here. If this is suited for a better section of the forum, I do apologize for not seeing it right away.

My problem, it seems after searching, is an older one. I have FSX updated with Accleration. Many of the addon planes that I use come from the usual places - here, flightsim.com and others - and way more often than not, especially if the descriptions and additional text files are read, the planes work exactly as they should. Every once in a while, I'll run across something a little older that has been converted and no matter what I do, a problem persists that takes away in some form from the enjoyment of the flight. In most cases I'm fine with that, but this time I had to ask someone else about it.

Thanks in no small part to Microsoft Flight - which is not even close to being Flight Simulator 11 - I came across the Stearman for the first time. Nice plane to fly from the start; very easy to control and reminded me of the Jenny from FS2004. Since the arcade aspects of MS Flight didn't do much for me after the initial half hour or so, I went looking for a Stearman for FSX. The first one I ran across was David Eckert's great model, modified for FSX by Mark Rooks. Downloading it, I had no trouble with installing it and getting it up and flying.

I noticed immediately upon sitting at my home runway of Joliet Regional/KJOT, that gremlins seems to have made away with part of my plane. Most of the front cockpit seems to be missing, but only in VC mode.

Attachment 79790

Other than that, the plane handles wonderfully. The 2d panel works as expected, but I have always enjoyed the feel of the virtual cockpit more and so that is how I want to fly the Stearman.

I've noticed in other forums mention of this problem being caused by the way the plane was originally built. When clicking on the link that should have taken me tot he appropriate website for more detail, the webpage in question seems to have vanished. It was then that I thought about posting my dilema.

I know there are a few payware Stearmans I could fly instead. Indeed, if money wasn't as tight for me as it is now, I would be doing so. But since I need to feed myself before I feed my hobby, I'm hoping someone here at SOH may have a more viable solution.

If it helps in any way, my PC specs are as follows -

EVGA 680i MB with a Core 2 Quad Q6600
    8gb DDR2
    EVGA GTX570
    Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    Win 7 x64

Thank you for reading my question today. I look forward to any responses you may have upon this matter.

Clear skies my friends!

Mike Dovers

Firstly, welcome to the SOH Mike. Regarding the missing bits in vc; it is the way the model was constructed which caused no problems in Fs9 but causes this issue in FsX. To fix it would require the aircraft to be rebuilt.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Yes, it's been raised before and unfortunately there's nothing can be done about it. Pity.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Have a look at the Golden Age Simulations and the Vertigo Studios versions and the reviews (both payware I'm afraid)

http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/purchase.html
    http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/pt17

I've got them both and like them both despite some reviews!

The other freeware Stearman was from Robert Sanderson (ST75.zip) - it was excellent and I flew it a lot but it was also for FS9 and also has vc problems in FSX

Cheers

Dave
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Pretty much the same conclusion I was coming to. Good to have it confirmed so I don't waste any more time on it.

Think I'll save pennies then and have a look at the Stearman from Vertigo. I seem to be drawn to that one.

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions!

Mike Dovers

Mike - Take a couple of minutes to read through this thread:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...read.php?70847

I don't think any further comment is required.
    ATB
    MikeW

Er, doesn't Mr Kallens' Bull Stearman work in FSX?
    Admittedly a different beast to a stock Steadman, but fun nevertheless.
    Ttfn

Pete