HMS Bounty Project
Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Project

HMS Bounty Project

The HMS Bounty recently made news when it was sunk during the hurricane. It sparked my interest; I did the research and fell in love with its story, both the original and the replica. I watched two versions of the movie to get a closer look at the replica and decided to give it a shot.

As a filler project, I am working on the HMS Bounty as something new and different. Not a straight piece of lumber on this ship so every part is "hand-made". It will take a while.

I am modeling it to the the Replica HMS Bounty specs.

I look forward to interesting challenges in animations, effects, navigation, and wind response.

I now have the basic exterior shell and standing rigging in place.

Nigel and I intend to do this one to include the first lower deck. Should be interesting to see what can be done with the flight model, the sails, and the VC.
    :salute:
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Beautiful! I am a great fan of tall ships! If you need any support, I'd be glad to pitch in!

Sascha

Spent my early years on the water so am looking forward to what you all come up with. Another possibility would be unique sounds like foaming wake under the prow, orders being barked when adjustments are made, groaning timber and straining lines, might be real fun.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Beautiful! I am a great fan of tall ships! If you need any support, I'd be glad to pitch in!

Sascha
    Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    Spent my early years on the water so am looking forward to what you all come up with. Another possibility would be unique sounds like foaming wake under the prow, orders being barked when adjustments are made, groaning timber and straining lines, might be real fun.
    Thanks guys. Yes, we have talked about those things and more. It will be interesting to seek out raw sound materials for this. Nigel seems to be an expert at this sort of thing. :-)

I am looking forward to the challenges of running rigging, sails, and the flight model.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just to let you know, I have not given up on this project. Just communicated with Hansi about gauge controlled sails for wind direction and speed, and have been looking at hull design software to determine if I need to modify what I have. I have teh standing rigging done and now the challenge of sails and running rigging. Then the top deck and a basic lower deck will be done.

Anyhow with Winter upon us, the XP47J/H projects, the Tigercat revisit, the Harpoon and this project will get serious attention as filler work.

Sasha66 and Aeromed202, thank you for your interest and anything you, or anyone else, wish to contribute is appreciated. I like you ideas regarding sounds so if you can round up any examples, I am certain that Nigel would be pleased to take a listen to them. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

HMS Bounty Progress

Ahoy Lads. Making some decent progress on the Bounty with most of the major items completed outside and on deck. Working on finer details and the lower deck now. It will be a while before she is ready for mapping as the lower deck will get quite a bit of detail.

Very interesting project; I have learned a lot about ships and also these tall ships have no straight lines, anywhere. Everything is angled 3 ways, curved and tortured. Makes for challenging modeling.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

WOW!!!

Thank you Milton. This is something I believe will be heartily welcomed. Hopefully
    working in FSX and DX10. I have hoping for a sailing vessel of a reasonably high standard
    to sail around the water world of FSX for some time.

Regards Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    WOW!!!

Thank you Milton. This is something I believe will be heartily welcomed. Hopefully
    working in FSX and DX10. I have hoping for a sailing vessel of a reasonably high standard
    to sail around the water world of FSX for some time.

Regards Anthin.
    Screenshots above in FSX/SP2/DX9. We have testers with P3D and DX10 but cannot guarantee everything will be functional as with FS9/FSX/SP2/dx9.

I will invite you to the test team when ready.

EDIT: Couple more screens showing details on deck: windlass, capstan, pumps, flag shack, chocks, air scuttles, etc.

Just started the lower deck and trying to get the framing in place before building walls, rooms, tables, etc.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

After hours of setting up the steering to tiller pulley/rope arrangement from the original Bounty design, I decided to scrap it for the more simplistic and less obtrusive replica design. This also makes it "animate-able". :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just finished constructing the lower deck walls and rooms. Another challenge in size, shapes and dimensions with all teh curves and angles at play.

I threw out the bread plant storage in favor of a large Captain's suite where the Nigel and I can share beverages of choice on our long, GPS, waypoint-guided voyages. :-)

The rooms will be sparsely appointed excepting of course the Captain's suite. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Nice work Milton! I have never been a big fan of ocean going vessels in FS9 or FSX tho, I only have 2! Alphasim's A90 Orlenok and the massive LUN Ekranoplan. The Orlenok, (Eaglet, in Russian) was boarded by a lot of bloody pirates and they are running rampant and amok on the high seas, pillaging and plundering every chance they get. I have dispatched the LUN (Dove, in Russian) to hunt them scallywags down and see that they stand trial for their crimes against the Crown.

The HMS Bounty is shaping up to be a real beauty, so I'd be careful mate. She may catch the attention of this motley brood and you might as well be in for the fight of your life to keep her out of their clutches!

Drink up, me hearties.. yo-ho!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

LOL BB. That's why there are important and tasty brews aboard, not to mention the automatic 75MM cannon I brought over from the XA-38.

Here is some added info on the Replica Bounty

This famous replica of the original Bounty was launched in 1961, commissioned by MGM for their 1962 film Mutiny on the Bounty. More recently she starred in, amongst numerous others, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

She was built from the original ship's drawings still on file in the British Admiralty archives. She was constructed in the traditional manner at Smith and Ruhland Shipyard in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. However, all the dimensions were increased by approximately one third to accommodate the large 70 mm cameras used. Though the ship was scheduled to be burned at the end of the film, Marlon Brando threatened to walk off the set, so MGM kept this vessel in service.

She can be licensed for 12 passengers under way, 150 on deck static, and has berths for 49.

Mechanical propulsion is by two John Deere 375hp diesels.

In recent years she has been almost completely rebuilt.

Bounty Replica - Approximate Dimensions
    Length Overall 180 ft 54.86m
    Length on Deck 120ft 36.58m
    Beam 32ft 9.75m
    Freeboard 12 ft 3.66m
    Draft 13ft 3.96m
    Air Draft 115ft 35.05m
    Sail Area 10,000 sq ft 929sqm
    Displacement 500tons
    Registered Gross Tons 412
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    That's a fantastic subject Milton. The modeling you've done is magnificent.

It looks fantastic, Milton.

Out of curiosity, all of those round elements, what's the poly count?

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    That's a fantastic subject Milton. The modeling you've done is magnificent.
    Thank you Sir. I have not been able to find any pictures of the Bounty's Captain's quarters but I am finding some period representations of similar ones to base decor on.

This project has been a filler as I am in between things for the aircraft projects. It is an interesting challenge and diversion from the norm.

We now have the Harpoon, Lodestar civvie, Lodestar C-57/60A, and PV-1 Ventura awaiting textures and panel/gauge finalizing.
    Nigel hopes to be back in full swing by end of October so maybe we will have something out by end of year.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; October 11th, 2014 at 17:12.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    It looks fantastic, Milton.

Out of curiosity, all of those round elements, what's the poly count?

cheers,
    Lane
    Lower than I expected but I have focused on staying frugal throughout. Total Poly count now stands at 23K, much less than most of my aircraft. I expect final count to be less than 35K.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This is seriously brilliant. It is sure going to be a big hit.
    AAARG me hearties !
    Anthin.

Funny this should come up. I walked past Captain William Bligh's house a couple of weeks back.

Hi Milton,

let me know if I can pitch in, I'd love to get my hands on this for some texturing work!

Best wishes,
    Sascha

Blog Entries
    What an AWESOME project!!! Milton you are a creative genius :O)
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Geomitrak View Post
    Funny this should come up. I walked past Captain William Bligh's house a couple of weeks back.
    Wow! Interesting. Yes, I had to watch all the "Mutiny on the Bounty" flicks before getting into this. That was a year ago and I need to revisit to see now what I didn't pay attention to. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Hi Milton,

let me know if I can pitch in, I'd love to get my hands on this for some texturing work!

Best wishes,
    Sascha
    Thank you Sasha; we appreciate that. Nigel has the lead on this but may well call on you.

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    What an AWESOME project!!! Milton you are a creative genius :O)
    Ted
    Thank Ted; no, just modeling and having fun. I will say that sailing this is a lot more fun than I expected and I haven;t yet added animations and any guidance.

I have invested most of today changing up the stern end to look more like the replica and just trying to get those rear rounded, curved, bulging windows and frames cloned and reversed. Mirroring didn't quite do it correctly but I have finally got it looking good from the Captain's Quarters. :-) Feeling like a bloody boatswain. LOL Hard to get a good screenshot down on the lower deck as everything is tight and rounded but here is the approach to the Capt's quarters after removing one side of the officer's quarters.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Will it be possible the yardarms change direction
    when for instance Tacking? This project Milton is
    really exciting. So far the work you have done is
    absolutely first class. Even if it takes much longer
    to complete I am sure everyone will be waiting eagerly
    for this great project.

Forgot to say thank you for inviting me to be a testor.
    that will be an honor.

Regards Anthin

Anthin,

Yes, it would be possible. However, it would be very difficult to animate the running rigging that secures the sail yard ends, so that is the major obstacle. I have many hours in creating all the standing and running rigging but I can only provide a portion of all that is required of running rigging, the pulleys, and enabling criteria. The ropes unfortunately cannot be animated.

So far, I have setup the air file and cfg so that winds do affect the roll and speeds but since I am still into heavy modeling, I have not yet focused on animations beyond the rudder.

I appreciate your interest and questions. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you Milton for your reply. I wish I had interior
    shots of similar interiors to send you. I did have some
    shots takes of the interior of the re-construction of the
    Golden Hind at Expo 86 in Vancouver BC. I cannot seem
    to find them.

I envy you in the nicest way,your talent. This looks like a
    major undertaking. Is it possible to weather,for instance
    the decks etc? I know nothing about this process although
    I was a Maritime artist for most of my life.

Regards Anthin.