HMS Bounty Project - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Project

Really impressive Milton! I love these big sail ship and we have several 1:1 scale replicas here in the Netherlands. When you see how narrow these are and how tall the masts, you wonder how they were able to sail these things. I'm not even thinking about fighting a battle with them.......

Cheers,
    Huub

PS when you ever consider to build a Dutch 17th century warship, you can find all drawing here:
    http://www.otteblom.nl/tekeningen/

Blog Entries
    Hi Milton, the Bounty is magnificent. You must be knee deep in wood shavings and sawdust.

LOL Thanks guys. :-)

Huub, have you visited the replicas in the Netherlands, taken the tour?

Would love to browse through the lower decks if they truly represent the originals.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Hi Milton, the Bounty is magnificent. You must be knee deep in wood shavings and sawdust.
    LOL yes; but fortunately, the heavy lifting is done on the models. Now to finalize the textures and mapping, then concentrate on the animations and "flight model". :-)

I am now limited by total parts (reached 1500 but consolidated many smaller or multiple occurrences parts through attaching) allowed so not sure how I will deal with the "crew" question.

Nigel put together a really nice, albeit quick and dirty, sound set. Nice ambiance there. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Awesomeness up to ears!

These latest visuals are breathtaking!!!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

That is looking like it is going to be a lot of fun! I may have to re-enact some of Master and Commander and sale for the Galapagos Islands with it.

Looking forward to testing this this wonderful ship Milton.

Warm Regards Anthin.

What game is that Milton? I'm not into shootmeups but
    that looks interesting.

Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    What game is that Milton? I'm not into shootmeups but
    that looks interesting.

Anthin.
    The upper left hand corner says "Naval Action".

In the first link, in the comments section, someone asks when this game will be released and the response was early 2015 I believe.

Just google that and you will find the website and more info.

Here: http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

DX11 only, Windows 7, and 4GB Ram required.

Check the water on that first picture. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks for the reply Milton. I don't know if my Nvidea GTX 670 supports
    DX11.

I do have Total War Empire. It has some pretty epic naval battles.

What I am really looking forward to is your Bounty,because I can
    then take charge and follow the routes that the original Bounty took.

I would like to thank you for developing this project,as it means so
    much to me. The below decks are looking incredible.

You are creating a masterpiece her for FS9 and FS10.

Anthin.

Thanks for the reply Milton. I don't know if my Nvidea GTX 670 supports
    DX11.

I do have Total War Empire. It has some pretty epic naval battles.

What I am really looking forward to is your Bounty,because I can
    then take charge and follow the routes that the original Bounty took.

I would like to thank you for developing this project,as it means so
    much to me. The below decks are looking incredible.

You are creating a masterpiece her for FS9 and FS10.

Anthin.
    Thank you Anthin. I would not call this a masterpiece as I am so limited by gmax and FS9 as to how far I can take this. I am at "number of parts" boundaries and had to do some scaling back just to get this model to export. It is not poly heavy, just "number of parts" heavy. To export the Bounty, I must delete (unseen) parts from the exterior and interior (VC) models to get below the limits. This does not seem to affect frame rates in the sim, just the export of the model to the sim.

I would also love to animate the sails for wind direction but there are so many rope lines for running rigging, that would be nearly impossible. The only remedy would be to eliminate some of the rigging.

I do look forward to completing the textures so I can jump into the mechanics of animations and ship on sea behaviors. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Pity we can't get high seas in flight sim. That would
    set the icing on the cake or should I say sea biscuit.

Anthin.

Will it be difficult to get crew up on the yardarms,crows next and on deck?
    Please excuse me,for I no not what is possible in the program you are using.
    If possible it would add another act of reality. To move the sails from side to side,
    would removing ropes be be a no no.

Anthin.

Will it be difficult to get crew up on the yardarms,crows next and on deck?
    Please excuse me,for I no not what is possible in the program you are using.
    If possible it would add another act of reality. To move the sails from side to side,
    would removing ropes be be a no no.

Anthin.
    Anthin,

Many things are possible but there are polygon and parts limits to be honored to get models to export to the sim. Right now, I am in good shape with polys but now exceed the parts limits.
    In fact I must delete parts from the interior and exterior model to get them to export successfully. (I delete internal parts from the Spot view model, and exterior parts from the VC model.)

Human figures usually cost a lot in polygons required and animating them is rather difficult in/for FS9. Low poly, static crew for the spot view (exterior) model would be simple enough, although if done, they really should be "managed" for location, time, show/not show, etc.

Moving the sails side to side can certainly be done and as you suggest, animating the running rigging would be most difficult, not because of moving them but because the rope lengths would need to change. That I cannot do. However, eliminating the running rigging would allow moving the sails side to side but then would lack the rope visuals. There are some visibility tricks that could be employed to have the ropes swapped out for shorter/longer ones at each extent of the move but they would not be present for smoothly moving the sails through the interim positions.

All that is dependent on me being able to find or construct a gauge that would "read" wind direction and cause movement of the sails between the two extents and causing the animations to occur. I have not gotten to that stage yet so not sure if it can be done.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think it would probably be easier to make several exports with different sailing sets and trims e.g. storm sails, working set (no topsails) and full sails (including stunsails) trimmed for close-hauled sailing, reaching and running before the wind. I say easier - I of course mean less hassle than trying to animate the trims. I can imagine how much work it is just to have one set and trim done with all the important parts! I'd be happy as anything just to have this with only the working ordinary set, that is with top sails not set and nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    I think it would probably be easier to make several exports with different sailing sets and trims e.g. storm sails, working set (no topsails) and full sails (including stunsails) trimmed for close-hauled sailing, reaching and running before the wind. I say easier - I of course mean less hassle than trying to animate the trims. I can imagine how much work it is just to have one set and trim done with all the important parts! I'd be happy as anything just to have this with only the working ordinary set, that is with top sails not set and nothing else!
    Sasha,

Thank you for your recommendations. Although I have learned a lot about names of tall ship parts and sails, I know nothing about setting sails in different circumstances. If you could draw some examples of your suggestions or communicate with me via PM or Email, I will try to accommodate your wishes.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 27th, 2014 at 17:01. Reason: add a pic
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Holy cow!!

Milton. I like it.

VERY nice!!

I have this hanging in my man cave. 63" VERY heavy, hand made from the 1880's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ships Wheel.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	15873
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ships Wheel Emblem.JPG  

Milton,

Would having the rope telescope in and out for length work? I'm sure you already had that in mind. I just don't remember reading.

A most beautiful vessel you are making.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Milton,

Would having the rope telescope in and out for length work? I'm sure you already had that in mind. I just don't remember reading.

A most beautiful vessel you are making.
    Thank you. Yes, it would. But, still very difficult as the running rigging lines generally are not straight made up of 3 or more segments each, therefore each segment would have to be animated to withdraw/extend, as well as rotate. There are at least 70-80 of these line segments that would need to be animated in addition to the overall line rotations. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Milton. I like it.

VERY nice!!

I have this hanging in my man cave. 63" VERY heavy, hand made from the 1880's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ships Wheel.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	15873
    Very Nice Don! Love it!

The Bounty steering wheel has quite the history as well and has served on several ships, and shown in many different movies. It is quite unique. Sorry I do not have the details at hand right now.

I replicated the design the best I could while trying to minimize polys.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You're sure putting a lot of detail in the model. It looks to be one heck of a big project. Not to mention the mapping and textures. The time it will take you to get that done I can't imagine.

Keep up the nice work, Sir. Hope to see it in FSX for the rest of the simmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Sasha,

Thank you for your recommendations. Although I have learned a lot about names of tall ship parts and sails, I know nothing about setting sails in different circumstances. If you could draw some examples of your suggestions or communicate with me via PM or Email, I will try to accommodate your wishes.
    That is most kind of you sir! I will collect some information and images over the weekend, and send it to you on Monday - I'll be very happy if I can make a small contribution to this wonderful project!

This is a handy device used in the Naval Action game for compass, wind direction, sail position, speed, and status. Does anyone know if there is an official name and device like this. I would like to create a gauge similar for the Bounty.

And why would the compass rose be backwards?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The amount of detail you are putting into this project
    is incredible. The Helm/steering wheel looks great.

Anthin.

Not likely I will find any xml guru willing to program this Sail Management Gauge so I am taking a crack at it myself with help from Nigel and Sasha.

This is just rough work without the artwork trying to get the functionality working.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here