HMS Bounty Project - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Project

That post answers a question I was about to ask.
    Using wind alone. Wow, this is becoming one hell
    of a project.

Anthin.

Members +
    I've been blown away......
    The Bounty too?

Thanks for your comments.

We are still making some progress, albeit slowly.

The sail management gauge textures have improved a lot; thank you Nigel for getting this started.

I also set up a "Crows Nest" view in FS9 to better judge water terrain especially when navigating rivers.

We are mainly needing textures now before we can do any beta testing.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Members +
    Thanks, Milton. Just thought you were keel hauled again!

Interesting renders ... shows a lot of subtle details
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members +
    Hi Milton,
    I really do not know where you find the time, but much thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Cheers,
    Robin.

We do have a texture plan and hopefully it will get started sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I have been sailing around Port Hardy, Ketchikan (PAKT), Stewart, Bella Coola, Hope, AK, Anchorage, Friday Harbor, and various rivers in BC.

In spite of what you have seen, the proper ensign of England will be flown in either white, red, or blue, depending. :-)

Don't mind the temporary textures here; just playing.

Sorry to keep posting teasers but I assure you the Bounty is in progress, as is the Harpoon, the Mallard, the Lodestars, the AC685 Rockwell Aero Commander, and the Pinto, all active.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The real world HMS Bounty in all its glory; beautiful. Flying the Red Ensign.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The real world HMS Bounty in all its glory; beautiful. Flying the Red Ensign.
    They did a beautiful job of recreating your model, Milton.

cheers,
    Lane

Members +
    Such a tease! Milton.

This model simply looks fantastic and the animation work exceeds everything I saw so far in this simming world! We will have to sit outdoors with the simulator when sailing it so we can feel the soft breeze and dream about reaching far away tropical islands...

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    This model simply looks fantastic and the animation work exceeds everything I saw so far in this simming world! We will have to sit outdoors with the simulator when sailing it so we can feel the soft breeze and dream about reaching far away tropical islands...
    Thank you KL791 :-)

It is one of the more enjoyable and challenging projects I have ever done. Because it has been a "filler" project, its course had time to evolve and gave me time to delve into sailing knowledge, gauge construction, and modeled-in animations well beyond what I expected. Sail arm, sails, and rigging animations are way beyond what I expected to do. Four wind-speed driven flags also show wind direction and a sense of wind speed by their movements.

But what really brought this HMS Bounty to life for me in the sim is the programming that Rob Berandregt brought to the project.

With his contributions, no engines are needed; only wind is required for forward and lateral (drift) travel. Sails must be set to catch the wind, and she will not tack through a headwind due to her weight and speed.
    Speeds achieved vary based on wind speed, wind direction, and sail position. This is quite realistic. She does some keeling in crosswinds and turns, and will stop when sails are positioned into the wind.

If you get into a "no-go" or "locked irons" situation, and you are patient, if the wind is strong enough, and you set sails to face the wind, she will back up very slowly allowing use of rudder to turn out of the situation. Once this happens, you can flip the sails around to "catch the wind" and ease on your way.

Thanks to Rob Berandregt for taking this to a whole new level of sailing experience.

All of this works equally well in FS9 and FSX although FSX has the edge in water textures, flow, and smoothness of Rob's programming.

Nigel is doing the sounds and taking on the textures, (including gauge bmps), and I have the basic sailing dynamics ("flight model").

We feel certain you will enjoy sailing this "tall ship" square rigger. There is also an AI model available to just have her sit in the harbor, or on programmed routes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you KL791 :-)

It is one of the more enjoyable and challenging projects I have ever done. Because it has been a "filler" project, its course had time to evolve and gave me time to delve into sailing knowledge, gauge construction, and modeled-in animations well beyond what I expected. Sail arm, sails, and rigging animations are way beyond what I expected to do. Four wind-speed driven flags also show wind direction and a sense of wind speed by their movements.

But what really brought this HMS Bounty to life for me in the sim is the programming that Rob Berandregt brought to the project.

With his contributions, no engines are needed; only wind is required for forward and lateral (drift) travel. Sails must be set to catch the wind, and she will not tack through a headwind due to her weight and speed.
    Speeds achieved vary based on wind speed, wind direction, and sail position. This is quite realistic. She does some keeling in crosswinds and turns, and will stop when sails are positioned into the wind.

If you get into a "no-go" or "locked irons" situation, and you are patient, if the wind is strong enough, and you set sails to face the wind, she will back up very slowly allowing use of rudder to turn out of the situation. Once this happens, you can flip the sails around to "catch the wind" and ease on your way.

Thanks to Rob Berandregt for taking this to a whole new level of sailing experience.

All of this works equally well in FS9 and FSX although FSX has the edge in water textures, flow, and smoothness of Rob's programming.

Nigel is doing the sounds and taking on the textures, (including gauge bmps), and I have the basic sailing dynamics ("flight model").

We feel certain you will enjoy sailing this "tall ship" square rigger. There is also an AI model available to just have her sit in the harbor, or on programmed routes.
    It's just amazing!!! My son who is a great FS fan but mostly go for Tac Pack while I model will soon have the chance to get some new challenges - someone told me it should also be possible to navigate after the stars in FSX

excellent news that Milton, going to be a real challenge putting this girl in her berthing at a harbour or port!

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    It's just amazing!!! My son who is a great FS fan but mostly go for Tac Pack while I model will soon have the chance to get some new challenges - someone told me it should also be possible to navigate after the stars in FSX
    used to be able to with a program called AutoStar... all i can find is the FSX version though....

EDIT:

Think this is the one....... http://airspeedsflyingvisit.webplus.net/simdls.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    excellent news that Milton, going to be a real challenge putting this girl in her berthing at a harbour or port!
    Well, "push-back" doesn't work for water but maybe you can find an amphibious "tow plane". :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    used to be able to with a program called AutoStar... all i can find is the FSX version though....

EDIT:

Think this is the one....... http://airspeedsflyingvisit.webplus.net/simdls.html
    Now there are no excuses

Wow! This thread is remarkable. What an awesome ship you've under construction, Milton! Darn good stuff. Can't wait to furl the main yard, and tack the spanker, and heave ho the windlass, and brace the cat heads, and such...

P.S. On nautical sailor talk. I'm reading a book about the US clipper ship Flying Cloud. When they went through a rain storm they called it an "Irish hurricane", because it was "common knowledge" on the foc'sle that people from the Green Hills exaggerated a lot...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Wow! This thread is remarkable. What an awesome ship you've under construction, Milton! Darn good stuff. Can't wait to furl the main yard, and tack the spanker, and heave ho the windlass, and brace the cat heads, and such...

P.S. On nautical sailor talk. I'm reading a book about the US clipper ship Flying Cloud. When they went through a rain storm they called it an "Irish hurricane", because it was "common knowledge" on the foc'sle that people from the Green Hills exaggerated a lot...
    LOL Thanks Paul :-)

That gives me an idea for additional animation I had forgotten; the spanker arm needs to move with the wind shifts and yard arm repositions. The spanker sail itself shifts but not the arm.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; March 9th, 2015 at 17:19.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, "push-back" doesn't work for water but maybe you can find an amphibious "tow plane". :-)
    Hi Milton,

Nice thread ....

In fact, this would be a nice addition ??

Something like (when sails are stowed):
    - Fore/aft speed controlled by Elevator (yoke/stick fore/aft).
    - Lateral speed controlled by Ailerons (yoke/stick left/right)
    - Yaw controlled by Rudder

Rob

Just throw Mr Christian and a few jolly tars into the ships row-boats (gigs) and have them tow it along....
    its what they did.

Amphibious tow planes weren't invented yet

maybe these guys at bottom of page here can help ----> http://simviation.com/fs2004misc16.htm

ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; March 10th, 2015 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi Milton,

Nice thread ....

In fact, this would be a nice addition ??

Something like (when sails are stowed):
    - Fore/aft speed controlled by Elevator (yoke/stick fore/aft).
    - Lateral speed controlled by Ailerons (yoke/stick left/right)
    - Yaw controlled by Rudder

Rob
    I suspect in the RW, they used the jibs, spankers, and staysails to move away from dock if the wind was right; wouldn't take much, and then raise appropriate sails to ease her out.

I don't see this as a problem. If the wind is incoming from the water, then one could not sail away anyhow. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Most often, until the advent of powered tugs, the ships 'moored out" and supplies/cargo were transferred by 'lighter'. Smaller vessels were able to sail to dock but this was dependent on tide, wind, room to maneuver. Another consideration was that the captains often did not like to be bound to shore and wanted the freedom to weigh anchor and set sail on short notice (to escape bill collectors).

Certainly, ships dinghys or gigs were used to tow when necessary and this was done in some ports as well, but much of the history of ship design was the constant battle to reduce crew to save cost, or because the skilled people were not available so 'tugging' was not always a viable option.

Note(added): a ship at anchor tends to be head to wind so it takes room and technique to get under way - see below.

Here are YT links outlining how to sail a "Ship": (the first will explain what is not a "ship")
    Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DZIvMZWzQ
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRbcTsm2rc
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3jU9Xz_GHE

Also, here is a link to a video shot during the 2012 Tall Ships Race aboard "Mir", the Russian sail training vessel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTUyCQw6m0A
    Last edited by srgalahad; March 10th, 2015 at 10:05. Reason: added "Note"

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Wow! What an eye-opener these videos are!
    I never thought that it would have been this complex.
    Thanks for posting the links srgalahad! Very informative...

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    Wow! What an eye-opener these videos are!
    I never thought that it would have been this complex.
    Much akin to the differences between a Cub and a B747. I always thought that letting people fly the 'complex' without gaining skills on the 'simple' was counter-productive. There's an interesting comment in the Mir video about why they teach arcane skills in this age of electronics and GPS.

Just wait til we get the details set up for people to try racing. I originally thought 'simple' was enough but now I think I'll have to find some real challenges for courses and start/finish lines . That will, of course, have to wait until the Bounty is truly ship-shape in Bristol fashion.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein