Thank you Milton for your reply. I wish I had interior
    shots of similar interiors to send you. I did have some
    shots takes of the interior of the re-construction of the
    Golden Hind at Expo 86 in Vancouver BC. I cannot seem
    to find them.

I envy you in the nicest way,your talent. This looks like a
    major undertaking. Is it possible to weather,for instance
    the decks etc? I know nothing about this process although
    I was a Maritime artist for most of my life.

Regards Anthin.
    I am certain that Nigel will weather the decks, all wood floor, hull, mast, and deck surfaces and the sail yards. I have many pics of the Bounty in its weathered state.

I also found many photos of period Capt's Qtrs from which to evolve a proper setting for that and the other rooms. Not likely to do all of them but some will be completed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

If Only ...

... we could get this kind of action in FS!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Certainly would be something. Scary though.
    Anthin.

Progress for today: focus was primarily on constructing the "Hold" deck floor, beams, walls, doors and stairs.

With this now done, it's back to the top deck to finish up the remaining work there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The level of detail you are undertaking must be taking a lot of patience.
    "stairs-companionways" , The Hold! I do not think I have ever looked
    forward to anything in Flight Sim as this,including a great DC-3. How will
    you light below decks? Is it even possible?

As an after thought,is it possible to have a usable "Jolly Boat". Would it
    have to be a seperate item, if that is the word ? To be able to go ashore
    from the HMS Bounty would be an incredible asset. It also could be an
    incredible nightmare for you. I think that would probably be a pretty big
    added burden.

Regards Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    The level of detail you are undertaking must be taking a lot of patience.
    "stairs-companionways" , The Hold! I do not think I have ever looked
    forward to anything in Flight Sim as this,including a great DC-3. How will
    you light below decks? Is it even possible?

As an after thought,is it possible to have a usable "Jolly Boat". Would it
    have to be a seperate item, if that is the word ? To be able to go ashore
    from the HMS Bounty would be an incredible asset. It also could be an
    incredible nightmare for you. I think that would probably be a pretty big
    added burden.

Regards Anthin.
    Thank you Anthin. It is not so much patience as it is love of modeling, or creating from nothing, and to enjoy the progress of each step toward the goal. It is the journey into something new for me that inspires, the learning required to take on a new challenge, the satisfaction of accomplishment, and the joy of sharing. It is pure fun with each day of progress to see the results.

As for the lights below decks, no problem; as with the original, they shall be "candle lit". :-) Lamps will be sprinkled throughout the lower decks as with the lamps on the stern. Of course, effects will be used to generate the lighting in a most subtle way (as was used in the cabin of the Avia 51).

As of now, I know of no way to transfer to a separate sim device (launch boat) and sail away.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the project. Frankly, I had doubted that anyone would be interested from the beginning but I wanted to do it in honor of the HMS Bounty, the replica, now lost at sea.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here's a few shots (vc views) from the lower deck and hold in late day and dawn lighting (pretty dark but you can see some details), and 2 of mid-day lighting to give you a sense of how those areas appear without "lanterns".

This was just a test to see what these areas are looking like now before effects and textures are done.

You will see the mizzen and main masts and the elm pumps but the foremast is behind a forward wall.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Just finished constructing the lower deck walls and rooms. Another challenge in size, shapes and dimensions with all teh curves and angles at play.

I threw out the bread plant storage in favor of a large Captain's suite where the Nigel and I can share beverages of choice on our long, GPS, waypoint-guided voyages. :-)

The rooms will be sparsely appointed excepting of course the Captain's suite. :-)
    Aye Capt'n!

Glad to see the back of the pesky bread plants and look forward to a suite where those beverages will be eagerly shared, Skipper.
    And I'm sure there'll be many mates aboard to share in the adventure.

Poor old Bligh didn't deserve to have his quarters turned into a conservatory.
    According to research, Joseph Banks, the botanist behind the bread plant idea was mainly interested in them as cheap 'fodder' for the workers on his plantation.

Just a thought; to be on the safe side, should we include a ship's brig?
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Milton, you inspired me to watch two versions of Mutiny On The Bounty...looking forward to sailing your project.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Milton, you inspired me to watch two versions of Mutiny On The Bounty...looking forward to sailing your project.
    Ted
    Aye Sir, was trying to do the same last week but Netflix no longer streams them. :-/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Aye Sir, was trying to do the same last week but Netflix no longer streams them. :-/
    Utube shows the 1984 (Hopkins/Gibson) version in 13 seamless parts - just go to part 1 and it automatically plays the entire film;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tab7...B0A48AB62B0326

Historians seem to agree this to be the most historically accurate and more fair to the character of Bligh. The Royal Navy Board of Inquiry congratulated him for his outstanding navigational capabilities and level of seamanship in saving the survivors.

The music by Vangelis is a masterpiece among soundtracks.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Aye, thank you skipper; will check it out :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    That is my favorite version but it does not play in my part of the country until you get to part 3. Fortunately I have CDs! :O)
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    That is my favorite version but it does not play in my part of the country until you get to part 3. Fortunately I have CDs! :O)
    Yes you are correct; not available in USA
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you for showing progress shots. I used to get a lot of
    satisfaction as well when working on a project. A bit like having
    a child and watching it grow.

You would not want to be very tall below decks. You would end
    up hunched over all the time.

I am sure there will be many Simmers who will enjoy this creation.

I think I will hawl out my DVD of mutiny on the Bounty. I have not
    watched it for some time.

Regards Anthin

Only got 4 hours work in today and invested time adding details and changing up the top deck to be more like the Bounty replica.

Still much to do though.

Some people like to see these lit wire frames so here are a few.

The FS screenshot is from last night and do not reflect today's changes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Only got 4 hours work in today and invested time adding details and changing up the top deck to be more like the Bounty replica.

Still much to do though.

Some people like to see these lit wire frames so here are a few.
    Aaaaaaghhhrrrrrr - 'likes' is the classical understatement, Skipper.

I say grab'm m'hearties while ye can - I have a Lodestar wire frame as my desktop and a prettier sight you'll not find!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Members +
    Hi Milton,
    Re the launch boat... I'm sure a model cannot be split into 2, however, for visual effects...
    Any years ago, there was a GMAX release of an animated 4 ship Red Arrows (at Simviation). It looked like you were flying 4 aircraft & if you hit the spoiler key or another, (maybe flaps) two of the planes would rotate or move position.
    Hard to explain without actually seeing it, but I was just thinking that hitting a key could show the launch boat moving away from the Bounty?
    There was also a Harry Potter on a broomstick with a bird flapping around his head.

Sorry if I'm out on a tangent, but there are some great visual effects from the "old days" out there.

Happy sailing,
    Robin

This is really turning into something very impressive. I
    always found the rigging a bit of a nightmare. I imagine
    you would need a lot of detailed pics to reproduce it
    correctly.

The wireframes really show how complex your model is.
    Thank you again for the progress shots.

Regards Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    This is really turning into something very impressive. I
    always found the rigging a bit of a nightmare. I imagine
    you would need a lot of detailed pics to reproduce it
    correctly.

The wireframes really show how complex your model is.
    Thank you again for the progress shots.

Regards Anthin.
    The standing and running rigging are tough for sure, 10 miles of it. The running rigging is about impossible to duplicate for the sim but I have the key elements in place.
    I do have many detailed drawings and pics but not enough to isolate all the running rigging required in detail to operate all functions.
    The drawings give the overall ship setup, not the individual sail or mast rigging per drawing, so it makes it impossible to draw and understand all the many lines from such a distance.
    I have relied on many ref pics to validate and add new lines or change attach points.
    There are hundreds yet not nearly enough. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I remember when I was a boy in St. Petersburg, the Bounty was tied up to the St. Pete pier.

I encourage anyone who has detailed interest in the Bounty history of construction and modification from its original state as the "Bethia", download and read.

Very interesting details of her readiness for voyage by HMS Navy and Ship Yard and final mods by Captain Bligh.

Plus you get detailed drawings from which my work is guided.

Conway Maritime Press - Anatomy Of The Ship - Hms Bounty
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/155283160...hip-Hms-Bounty
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    Just watched the YT Bounty film in 10 minute clips (from Nigel's post)...it was pretty good, apart from the overacting and the histrionics at the approach of bad weather It was interesting to listen to Anthony Hopkins' accent drift eastwards towards the Suffolk coast as they journeyed on, surviving on the gizzardy bits of Gannet and Lord knows what else in the jolly boat. Not once the old Pirate call of 'Ah-Ha Jim Lad' which was sad ( I only put 'sad' as I'm not too sure about spelling 'disappointing'.)
    What I was wondering was though was about the controls of the vessel- will she be sluggardly and contrary when luffing to windward? Will she be able to 'Come About, Mr Christian, Come About' in the teeth of a raging gale?
    These nautical phrases trip lightly off the tongue of a Master Mariner, one such as me what has spent countless hours on the wind-dashed waters of the Alexandra Park Boating Lake, with the cries of the sea ringing in his windswept ears 'Come in Number 5, your time is up' and 'Stop splashing us, you idiot, we'll sink'.
    Looking forward to another work of computer genius
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    Just watched the YT Bounty film in 10 minute clips (from Nigel's post)...it was pretty good, apart from the overacting and the histrionics at the approach of bad weather It was interesting to listen to Anthony Hopkins' accent drift eastwards towards the Suffolk coast as they journeyed on, surviving on the gizzardy bits of Gannet and Lord knows what else in the jolly boat. Not once the old Pirate call of 'Ah-Ha Jim Lad' which was sad ( I only put 'sad' as I'm not too sure about spelling 'disappointing'.)
    What I was wondering was though was about the controls of the vessel- will she be sluggardly and contrary when luffing to windward? Will she be able to 'Come About, Mr Christian, Come About' in the teeth of a raging gale?
    These nautical phrases trip lightly off the tongue of a Master Mariner, one such as me what has spent countless hours on the wind-dashed waters of the Alexandra Park Boating Lake, with the cries of the sea ringing in his windswept ears 'Come in Number 5, your time is up' and 'Stop splashing us, you idiot, we'll sink'.
    Looking forward to another work of computer genius
    Andy.
    LOL Andy. Interesting comments.

As for the FM, I have only done enough to get her about in the water at her weight. Itching to get the desired reactions and have done some experimental work in that regard.

In a stormy headwind, she's tough to move at all (and would not except I currently have her overpowered) but turn her about she has no problem. I have given her quite the "vertical stabilizer" mass and height so she does respond to quarter winds with some listing. But, I haven't yet gotten serious with all this, just playing for now. (She has 10,000' feet of sail yard; that's quite the vstab!)

I intend to give her as much realism in wind response as I can muster.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Doing some testing with a little sail yard transparency.

First, forgot the texture, got black sails, and liked them :-)

Also, setup a static without sails.

Early test was too transparent and did not like transparency from the sunny side.

Final test with a 252 alpha gave a hint of translucence from the VC only. (Not shown)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here