HMS Bounty Project - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Project

Working on the Captain's Quarters trying to get it furnished with a lot yet to do, and added to the lower deck big room. Lots of little stuff here and there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

A lesson in provisions.

LITTLE KNOWN TIDBIT OF NAVAL HISTORY...

The U.S.S. Constitution (“Old Ironsides”), as a combat vessel, carried
    48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men.
    This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea.
    She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

According to her ship's log....
    "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men,

48,600 gallons of fresh water,
    7,400 cannon shot,
    11,600 pounds of black powder and
    49,400 gallons of rum."
    Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on
    826 pounds of flour and 38,300 gallons of rum.
    Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November..
    She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 14,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for England .
    In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-warships,
    and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships,
    salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted.
    Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland ..
    Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred
    20,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn.

Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston Harbour on 20 February 1799,
    with no cannon shot,
    no food,
    no powder,
    no rum,
    no wine,
    no whisky,
    and 28,600 gallons of water.
    GO NAVY!

Blog Entries
    Now that is funny Terry...never could stand drinking water by itself anyway and I'm ex-USARMY!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Members +
    I also never drink water.. Fish fornicate in it!

Terry,

That's amazing! It seems like a big, expensive beer run. If you liked to drink, the Navy was the place to do it, so it seems. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

If that is true, it is one of the funniest things I ever heard.
    Go Navy indeed. LOL !

I will drink to that. The Sun is currently over the Yardarms
    here in Canberra so a Jameson Irish is called for. Slainte.

Anthin.

Thank you Terry. Really enjoyed that info.

Previous ships

Kudos Milton she is a handsome ship if there ever was one.

At the begining of your post you had some questions about what was possible with animations, flight model, etc.
    If you are not aware, there are several old (FS 9 or earlier) sailing ships I've downloaded & tried (in FSX).
    I suggest you check out the "Bonhomme Richard", Schooners "Pride of Baltimore" and "La Recouvrance", or XIX Century Sailing Frigates from Pierre de Rotalier.
    Also the modern yachts by Deltasim Studio (some freeware). I believe I got them from Flightsim.com.

The older ships generally had 4 models - sails up or down, & heeling to port or starbord. You had to change "aircraft" to make them appear in accord with their sailing situation. Otherwise setting/hauling anchor, running the cannon in/out, & hoisting the flag, etc. could be controlled with spoilers, flaps, exits, & landing gear control keys. You also have water rudders available in FSX. Animated flags, that change direction with the wind are cool, & useful when sailing. One model also "fired" the guns with a flash & splash effect, which had to be different if the ship was leaning left or right. This could be toggled with lights (O for Strobe), while I prefer setting them as smoke effects (I key). Nav lights should be appropriate for ships. Some also had bow & stern wake effects. Rising black smoke might be appropriate for simulating dammage.

Regarding the "flight" modeling, they generally bobbed with the waves. Float & thrust positions play a role in this. Try piloting from the helm & observe what you can see over the bow. All were "sailed" with fake prop or jet propulsion (silent engines). Sometimes nautical sounds were substituted - this adds a LOT to the immersive experience.

It would be better to do things like Deltasim, with one model that obeys the laws of physics according to the flight model, inertias, sail area, wind direction & strength, etc. Sail animations can be controlled with flap positions or the spoilers. However, modeling the true behavior of sailing ships is hard to do within the limitations of Flight Sim.

Good luck with your project,
    JG

Members +
    I'm back with my weird 'stuff' again!
    I know I'm being a hassle, inagine a "Mary Celeste" type, looking all decrepid, sailing the seven seas.. AI?
    Mmmm, that could actually be a fun multiplayer session, a few boats looking out for her?

with no cannon shot,
    no food,
    no powder,
    no rum,
    no wine,
    no whisky,

It is a miracle that they could shoot straight!

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    with no cannon shot,
    no food,
    no powder,
    no rum,
    no wine,
    no whisky,

It is a miracle that they could shoot straight!
    LOL.

Or even give the order to fire;

"F.........(hiccup),..eff.........(belch).......Ff fffffffff....(gurgle)......F....(hiccup).......... EFFFF.....(fart)............Ufffff...........

.....wwwhere wwwus I.....uff (gurgle)....Row, row row, ya boat....uffff................
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    LOL Nigel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grafmann View Post
    Kudos Milton she is a handsome ship if there ever was one.

At the begining of your post you had some questions about what was possible with animations, flight model, etc.
    If you are not aware, there are several old (FS 9 or earlier) sailing ships I've downloaded & tried (in FSX).
    I suggest you check out the "Bonhomme Richard", Schooners "Pride of Baltimore" and "La Recouvrance", or XIX Century Sailing Frigates from Pierre de Rotalier.
    Also the modern yachts by Deltasim Studio (some freeware). I believe I got them from Flightsim.com.

The older ships generally had 4 models - sails up or down, & heeling to port or starbord. You had to change "aircraft" to make them appear in accord with their sailing situation. Otherwise setting/hauling anchor, running the cannon in/out, & hoisting the flag, etc. could be controlled with spoilers, flaps, exits, & landing gear control keys. You also have water rudders available in FSX. Animated flags, that change direction with the wind are cool, & useful when sailing. One model also "fired" the guns with a flash & splash effect, which had to be different if the ship was leaning left or right. This could be toggled with lights (O for Strobe), while I prefer setting them as smoke effects (I key). Nav lights should be appropriate for ships. Some also had bow & stern wake effects. Rising black smoke might be appropriate for simulating dammage.

Regarding the "flight" modeling, they generally bobbed with the waves. Float & thrust positions play a role in this. Try piloting from the helm & observe what you can see over the bow. All were "sailed" with fake prop or jet propulsion (silent engines). Sometimes nautical sounds were substituted - this adds a LOT to the immersive experience.

It would be better to do things like Deltasim, with one model that obeys the laws of physics according to the flight model, inertias, sail area, wind direction & strength, etc. Sail animations can be controlled with flap positions or the spoilers. However, modeling the true behavior of sailing ships is hard to do within the limitations of Flight Sim.

Good luck with your project,
    JG
    Thank you JG; I was not aware of Pierre's work but will download and check them out.

I have many of these things planned or worked out and have created a "flight model" for the Bounty's dimensions and weight that gives her a realistic feeling in the water; still very preliminary but a nice start.

The key challenges for me will be sail and yard management, heeling, and speed management in various winds. It takes a lot of power to get that weight moving, and then restricting speed to realistic values after moving is the challenge.
    Moving sails from port to starboard on a square rigger is a tough challenge given all the ropes involved, too many to animate and very tough to change the lengths of rope.

I appreciate your detailed post and will use it as a reminder for features. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members +
    Hi there Milton, we are missing your 'trials & tribulations' of your ship building.
    It is always great to open the forums & see where you are with the building of this ship.

I do realise that you are up to your elbows with other projects as well, but would love to here what you up to, else a bit of keel hauling could be due!

Kind Regards,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Hi there Milton, we are missing your 'trials & tribulations' of your ship building.
    It is always great to open the forums & see where you are with the building of this ship.

I do realise that you are up to your elbows with other projects as well, but would love to here what you up to, else a bit of keel hauling could be due!

Kind Regards,
    Robin
    Robin,

Thank you for your continued interest. I ran into some issues with the Hold deck and contents. Fooled around with it for several days and could not resolve the issues. Finally decided the scrap the hold and reserve polys and size for the upper and lower decks. I then invested a couple days refining things above and below decks, rigging, ropes, yard arms, etc.

I am still well below the poly and number of parts limits of gmax and my normal aircraft builds so I should be in good shape from here.

I have not worked on it seriously for several days but hope to resume by the weekend trying to finalize the top deck and a few more items in the Captain's Quarters.
    From there I will proceed with mapping for textures.

That's it for now. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Take your time Milton we are enjoying watching the progress.
    Ted

Members +
    Thanks for the update, no rush at all!! We will let you off the keel hauling for now.
    Robin :-)

This looks absolutely fantastic, a beautiful modelling job on a beautiful ship. I look forward to walking around inside it and maybe discover some remote tropical island
    Henrik

Trying to get the mapping done for textures, major items done and starting on the smaller and miscellaneous parts. Will likely be another week to wrap up the mapping details.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That is looking really snappy .. Oi mateys , time for a keel hauling

Members +
    Any sailors? wenches in the scuppers? Sailors on board?

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Any sailors? wenches in the scuppers? Sailors on board?
    LOL Not yet; I had over 1500 parts, well exceeding the gmax/makemdl limit, so had to throw a few overboard. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL... you know, just yesterday whilst on patrol in the South Pacific, the Captain of the LUN spied a dress floating in the water.... Now you wouldn't know anything about that, would you, Sir Milton? I hope you didn't dispatch with "the wenches" mate. Rum and Vodka are in short supply on board the LUN, you have any you'd like to trade for?

Seriously, that ship looks superb! I will certainly have a go when she is sea worthy... even tho I'm not one for ships in FS. But keep an eye out, I've been flying around in Manuele's CANT Z.506 in that area.

Cheers mate!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Dang! Wish we had it this good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGV5wWEDH_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6c0KuQn0Yc

Cannon testing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmCrbHD-LQ Nice effects here

Might have to get this game when it comes out.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Experimenting with various textures for the lower deck. I like this rustic look though not sure how it might compare to the original Bounty.

The upper deck will be more refined more closely following the replica Bounty.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Further progress on textures especially on the main deck, plus lower deck.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here