Editing XML in Windows 7; access denied??

Thread: Editing XML in Windows 7; access denied??

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Editing XML in Windows 7; access denied??

Hey all,

I have Windows 7 (now) and have set myself as the Administrator. However, when trying to modify an XML file in Notepad, when I save the file, it states 'Access Denied!'. It will not save the file.

A couple of observations. Its trying to save as a TXT. I tried saving as XML (as it is an XML file I am working on, the Modeldef.xml for Gmax, and it will not save as XML, all options are either TXT or All. I tried to edit my settings (though they all appear correct), but all settings are gray and appear to be locked out (cannot access them, but I can see them).

I have looked around on Google and I do not see anything that relates to this exactly. Has anyone come accross this and is there a fix?

Many thanks,

Bill
    LHC
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

This might be due to the user access BS (UAC). Even as admin, you can't save to some places on the C drive. Try saving the file to some location you know you have rights to, like anyplace other than the C: drive. I have Win7 and edit XML files all the time, but my C drive is exclusively the domain of the OS and installed applications.

- Paul

EDIT: Also, get Notepad++ for editing XML (and a bunch of other file types). It's free and very usefull
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I lied: On this computer, I only have a C: drive, but I did turn off UAC. Also, you might still have to explicitly give permissions to Administrators to the folder you're writing to. Right-click folder > Properties > Security tab > Edit... > Add... > Enter user name. Then make sure that user has "full control" under permissions. It's a pain in the butt.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Paul,

1. Turned off UAC, moving slider to full bottom. Nothing.

2. Tried adding and or editing the tick squares, but they are locked out. There appears to be no way to get into those.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    I found it Paul.

I right clicked on the hard drive section in 'Computer' and changed out all of the users to 'Full Control'. I had access to the tick boxes there (for the first time ever!!!!).

I feel more secure now. I had nightmares of the return of vista! Goodness.... Sweaty palms, graying eyebrows, increased heart rate, feeling of helplessness, dizziness, sweat pouring down my forehead, murmuring strange unknown words, hair standing on end. I do not want to go to vista realm ever again. ever......

Thanks for the input.

Bill

Cool. I was about to post this link: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ion-ownership/ on changing ownership of a folder, as well as the permissions.

Win7 is not nearly as bad as Vista in this area, but still a bit of a hassle. On the other hand, the virus I got when I had XP, I think might not have got into my system had I been running Win7 or Vista, since the permissions are tighter. Don't really know that for sure, though.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Exclamation

Talk about a blunderbuss approach - remove all protection from entire C: drive!!! Eeeeeek! Isn't Microsoft Games and its sub-directories enough to be going on with?

I know we're all used to XP and its predecessors allowing us (and anyone/anything else) to go stomping all over the HD, but learning a little more about how Win7 works would be useful. MS didn't set up these controls without reason - and I don't mean for their advantage - they go some way to redressing the wide-open security model the rest of the computing world has rightly criticised for more than a decade.

Just my two cents, rant over.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Talk about a blunderbuss approach - remove all protection from entire C: drive!!! Eeeeeek! Isn't Microsoft Games and its sub-directories enough to be going on with?

I know we're all used to XP and its predecessors allowing us (and anyone/anything else) to go stomping all over the HD, but learning a little more about how Win7 works would be useful. MS didn't set up these controls without reason - and I don't mean for their advantage - they go some way to redressing the wide-open security model the rest of the computing world has rightly criticised for more than a decade.

Just my two cents, rant over.

Well, when I had this issue 2 weeks ago, and needed to change something, I went on an internet hike, went reading in the Windows help center, tried everything I could to unlock what I needed so that I could edit things in a section and never found it. This time, it happened again, and thank the Lord I found 'one' single link that had the right answer after doing 'another' afternoon of looking for answers.

If I could have simply unlocked the permission, if I could have found out 'quickly' (like under permissions in Help, etc), if it would have allowed me to work as an Administrator when I am set up as the Administrator, (I am the Adiministrator and I didnt have permission??????), then... ok... But it didnt. How much studying of windows does one need?

I kept running into the same questions on Google, others having the same problems. I was like, I cant believe this. Its still going on....! People were advising others on adding things in the main DOS window, codes and things. People were trying this and that. None of them were working for people. Fixes for some didnt work for others.. ?! I found a LOT of that.

So.... You tell me. I am just thankful that I got my ModelDef.XML able to be edited again. I was worried. I think one of my eyebrows, port side, actually went into an instantaneous gray! When they twitch and move, then jitter, they are usually dark brown and in 2 min's, they are solid, metallic gray/silver with a hint of metallic glistenization... :S

Bill

Reverse the permission changes you made to the hard drive or C drive. Reverse or set to default any changes you made to UAC.

Follow the instructions I gave in this thread to give yourself full control of the FS9 folder. Just apply the changes to FSX and FSX SDK.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ues-in-Win7%29

Post number 9

That change will propagate to all sub folders/files and fix your issue.

Only apply these permissions to folder or programs where you can not live with the default security settings.

Making the change to the whole C drive basically just pulled your pants down to any hacker who can gain access to your PC. They now have free access to give you as big a pain in the A** as they want.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH-CM-2014
    Roger that Dave. Will do.

Thanks man.

Bill
    LHC

Members who have read this thread: 0