Update on Aerosoft's Big Cat
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Update on Aerosoft's Big Cat

Update on Aerosoft's Big Cat

We are happy to announce an update on the development of the Aerosoft F-14A Tomcat for FSX. The project has been in full development for about a year and is currently entering a limited beta test. We had to set our bar very high for this project because there are already several solid renditions of this legendary aircraft. But the Big Cat is seated at the top of the 'Aircraft to model before I quit' bucket list for two of us, and our Flight Modeler/Project lead finally feels he has the knowledge-base to give this aircraft a proper rendition.

NATOPS data was combined with 5 NASA technical publications and refined by the insights of a software engineer who helped program the Military Simulator of the F-14, the chart at the bottom of the post represents the sum of the current efforts. Former fleet Tomcat pilots and other Naval aviators will be helping us refine the control response and stability from here on out.

The images below show a work in progress, we'll be posting more screenshots as the project advances.

www.facebook.com/AerosoftF14
    http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?...f-14-tomcat-x/

(click to zoom)

That is one BEAUTIFUL Turkey... I will definitely buy. Is there a guestimate on a release date?

Thanks for sharing, looking great :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    We are happy to announce an update on the development of the Aerosoft F-14A Tomcat for FSX. The project has been in full development for about a year and is currently entering a limited beta test. We had to set our bar very high for this project because there are already several solid renditions of this legendary aircraft. But the Big Cat is seated at the top of the 'Aircraft to model before I quit' bucket list for two of us, and our Flight Modeler/Project lead finally feels he has the knowledge-base to give this aircraft a proper rendition.

NATOPS data was combined with 5 NASA technical publications and refined by the insights of a software engineer who helped program the Military Simulator of the F-14, the chart at the bottom of the post represents the sum of the current efforts. Former fleet Tomcat pilots and other Naval aviators will be helping us refine the control response and stability from here on out.
    Could you please make a video of the Tomcat Pilots while they are testing the Aerosoft FSX-version? -That would be very very great to hear their comments! Are here at SOH real Ex-Tomcat pilots?
    I hope that the HUD will be compatible to the Aircraftcarriers aviable for FSX because IRIS's doesn't and that's what many want!

Man I love that Bird, sooner or later i have to go to the US to some Museum to touch one of these Sexy Cats! It's G.W.Bush's benefit that there is no flyable Cat at the US, at no flight show the Cat will ever be seen. Maybe I must visit Irans Cats...

Sorry for my bad English.

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    That is one BEAUTIFUL Turkey... I will definitely buy. Is there a guestimate on a release date?
    Thanks for the support! It is too early to talk about a release date, we still have some serious work ahead of us.

Attachment 76379Attachment 76380Attachment 76381

My intention is not to criticize AS F-14 WIP product but its worth a comparison.

Dino's free F-14 WIP looks so much better and according to his blog will probably be available for public testing soon

Fair enough neutrino. I just liked the Facebook page so I'll be keeping an eye out.
    Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post

My intention is not to criticize AS F-14 WIP product but its worth a comparison.

Dino's free F-14 WIP looks so much better and according to his blog will probably be available for public testing soon
    Dino is a great guy, that does stellar work, but I don't know about your "looks so much better" comment. It looks like it will be fantastic, but I can't say that it looks better than the Aerosoft screens. Speaking only of textures, I'm not really a fan of the textures on Dino's cat. In overall dimensions and shape, yes Dino's cat is very nice and you can't complain about how dedicated he is. It will no doubt be awesome and I can't wait for the final product. In fact I had a couple questions for Dino that I planned on asking about it.

That said, I expect the Aerosoft Tomcat to be awesome as well, and I'm already a fan of the way it looks right here. Even without being dirty the textures look awesome. And since this is a thread about the Aerosoft F-14, I have to mention again I will more than likely, more like definitely, buy.

I'm not saying that I won't buy the AS F-14, I surely will. I'm saving as much as I can to enjoy the devs work, especially the warfighting jets and support the devs effort. However it is my personal opinion that Dino's free F-14 is graphicaly more advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    effort. However it is my personal opinion that Dino's free F-14 is graphicaly more advanced.
    I agree. IMO it needs some Ambient Occlusion maps added to the textures.

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post

AGREE!!!!

Looks good. Looks like your FDE is close in all but the Max Sustained Turned performance. Impressive. I love the "A" model most, of all Tomcat variants. Nice job.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Huge Turkey fan and can't wait to see how the final product does. Hope the nasty TF-30's are modeled within the constraints of FSX. So this will be strictly an "A" model or are any of the later (better) models coming ie A+/B and D? Glad you guys got some SME's and former Naval Aviators to test/confirm.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Outstanding! Another big 'Cat for the hangar! Looking forward to it.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I hope the compressor issues are modeled...in fact....The problem with many great real life planes, when modeled in FSX, is that either systems or FDE or both never match up, so your left with a nice visual that you never fly. I hope this one is systems heavy, and advanced FDE (temps, performance etc.)
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

It seems a bit premature to make comparisons of two models, one of which is almost finished and soon to be released and one that will most likely not be released for 6 months to a year from now, based on the first released WIP screenies. AS has not even shown interior pictures yet and you guys are slamming it as inferior to a freeware model. At least wait until they are close to release before you start denigrating the model.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Looks good. Looks like your FDE is close in all but the Max Sustained Turned performance. Impressive. I love the "A" model most, of all Tomcat variants. Nice job.
    Good eye. So here's the best explanation I can give for the mismatch. We don't have matching data for the F-14, but I can pull something from an Su-27. Below is an image that shows the maximum AoA (i.e. AoA of flow separation/stall) vas Mach and Altitude. Note that in FSX you only get 1 maximum AoA for all conditions (flaps config, Mach, Alt, and Reynold's number). However, while the maximum AoA drops off, the lift slope stays about the same. So the region around M0.9 is tricky region where you want to balance linear acceleration, climb performance, and turn performance. We can't nail all three, so finding an agreeable compromise is about all we're left with.

@Victory: Yes we're adding in a B model so you can hassle the F-15 and Flanker drivers.

Master of Disaster
    Im not a shop heater fan but this one is a must buy! Nice!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Looks great. Been waiting a long time for this one. As a huge Tomcat fan, I'll be buying this for sure.

Jp

And there was me thinking this one was dead and buried LOL. Looks better with some paint .

LOL!!! (Did I mention we're doing a Tomcat? JUST KIDDING!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    And there was me thinking this one was dead and buried LOL. Looks better with some paint .
    Built from new Michael - not your files as I don't work in that format.

Quote Originally Posted by FSDSMAN View Post
    Built from new Michael - not your files as I don't work in that format.
    And very nice it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Ambient Occlusion maps?