Getting Started With Gmax - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Started With Gmax

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thanks on #1. I went through the list, got ModelConverterX, and downloaded a few others that looked interesting. But I'm largely unclear on what I've got. I am your classical noob here. What I need is a straight-forward set of steps to get my first model into CFS3/Wings Over Flanders Fields. (#2)

And how do I avoid #3, the repeat image?
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    That's a good idea Allen, I hadn't thought of that. CFS3 models can't be read by MCX so I haven't been down that route, plus the CFS3 exporter is pretty quick. However an FSX model with specular and bump textures would be best checked in FSX itself.
    That is a bad thing about CFS3. Wish some one would get the format understood. The FS2004 export is fast but I have to use MDLC to go back to CFS2 because any animations that use 100 to 200 do not work the same in CFS2 as they do in FS2004. It takes MDLC 30 secs to 1 min to convert a 5000 polygon model with 4 LOD like the stock CFS3 P-47-25 from the CFS3 SDK to CFS2.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    Thanks on #1. I went through the list, got ModelConverterX, and downloaded a few others that looked interesting. But I'm largely unclear on what I've got. I am your classical noob here. What I need is a straight-forward set of steps to get my first model into CFS3/Wings Over Flanders Fields. (#2)

And how do I avoid #3, the repeat image?
    Hairyspin can answer your CFS3 question; I only use FS9.

Regarding the posting of pictures, just select Go Advanced, Manage Attachments, next to the Upload files button, select the + sign to add buttons for each picture you wish to upload, then select the files you want, then select Upload files.
    Once uploaded, each thumbnail shows with a check mark, if not check each picture to check mark it, then select Done.
    You should get what I have in this post with 2 pictures.

Oh, by the way, we were all newbies once. Just keep asking and keep trying until you get there. We are here to help.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Land ho, Milton! I've started a new thread below on CFS3 modelling.

BTW if you use a picture hosting site you can link images directly to your post and get them full size immediately. If they're too big, the forum software will resize automatically.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Is G-Max still available here?

I've been poking around here, and on TurboSquid, looking for a downloadable copy of G-Max. Don't know why, but it's hard to find. Could someone please post a link?
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I've also edited Milton's original post to link to the downloads.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I've also edited Milton's original post to link to the downloads.
    Thanks for posting this and correcting the old link.

Just a note to be sure to download all the items listed at the right on that page.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks for the link. My problem (seen below) is that the G-Max windows are mostly whited out. (a recent development) I had hoped that an "uninstall/re-install" would cure that, but it didn't. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G-Max SCREEN.jpg  

Okay, first hit 1 (not on the number pad if your keyboard has one) to update all viewport windows. If the areas are still blocked out white and won't show anything, hit Windows + D twice to switch to desktop and back to Gmax. Finally, which video driver in Gmax are you using? In Win 7 and Win 10, I find the Direct 3D driver works best: go to Customize/Preferences... and pick the Viewports tab to find the video driver choice at lower right. Not HEIDI, leave her in the Alps where she belongs!
    Tom

Okay, first hit 1 (not on the number pad if your keyboard has one) to update all viewport windows. If the areas are still blocked out white and won't show anything, hit Windows + D twice to switch to desktop and back to Gmax. Finally, which video driver in Gmax are you using? In Win 7 and Win 10, I find the Direct 3D driver works best: go to Customize/Preferences... and pick the Viewports tab to find the video driver choice at lower right. Not HEIDI, leave her in the Alps where she belongs!
    Hitting Number 1 clears the white away, but as soon as I click anywhere with the mouse, it comes back. WINDOWS+D goes to the Desktop, then comes back clear, but as soon as I click, the white pops back as black. I'm running Windows 10 with Direct 3D enabled.

ps: I just launched 3D Studio Max and I have the same problem.

Try the OpenGL driver instead: it may suit your graphics card better.
    Tom

Try the OpenGL driver instead: it may suit your graphics card better.
    And it did. The Top View window (top left corner) flashes solid white at each mouse click, but I can live with that. Thanks.

Mouse wheel zooming in UVW Editor under Windows 10

Windows 10 users may have found the mouse wheel doesn't zoom in or out in the Gmax UVW Editor window, and 3ds Max users (like me) may have found the same. A poster on FSDeveloper passes on this solution:–

Hello all,
    This is the newest problem I faced with GMAX and Windows 10
    After applying an Unrwap UVW i opened the edit UVW window and the mouse wheel refused to zoom or unzoom.

Here is a solution I found by searching the net. It is for 3DS Max but it worked for me!

On Windows:
    – Click the Start button.
    – Click Settings.
    – Click Devices.
    – Click Mouse & touchpad.
    – Toggle the “Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them” setting to Off.

-=Manwlo=-
    Thanks to Manwlo for finding this.
    Tom