REPAINTERS - What was your first?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REPAINTERS - What was your first?

Charter Member 2012

REPAINTERS - What was your first?

Dear Repainters

Can you recal and let us see what your first repaint was? This was mine. Can i take this opportunity to thank so many of the excellent experienced repainters who have not only shared their creations but also their knowledge over the years.

I believe my first one was this, I did it for Coolsky Super80. IRL it's billionaire Ken Behring's 'private jet', MD-87. Year was 2008.

I think it should be available at AVSIM, unless the meltdown years ago butchered it. I know it wiped out many of my old paints.

WOW...

"Coolsky Super80" What a ride that was.......The above was the first of many I posted at "Avsim".

An F-104 S/ASA...11 years ago! (btw is still present in flightsim.com database.. )

FS2000 - FS2000 Aircraft
    FS2000 Aeritalia/Lockheed F-104S/ASA
    [ Download | View ]

Name: 104_0401.zip
    Size: 578,723 Date: 06-28-2001 Downloads: 2,291

FS2000 Aeritalia/Lockheed F-104S/ASA Starfighter. This model is a partial rework of former F-104S model with a new better looking nose cone and operating air brake doors. This special made livery shows an F-104 S/ASA actually in use on 4 Stormo of Aeronautica Militare based in Grosseto AB, on central part of Italy. The "silver finish" was applied on this plane to celebrate 70 years of 4 stormo (1931-2001). Model by Massimo Taccoli. Texture file by Alessandro Barbarini. Air file by Robert Young.

took me some digging, but here you go:

back in 2007, for the original A2A P-51D for FS9, probably still on avsim, and maybe here too...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

'First' that ever got passed on to someone else [who asked]....[but not first I'd ever done and not distributed]...

Attachment 74659

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    Dear Repainters

Can you recal and let us see what your first repaint was? This was mine. Can i take this opportunity to thank so many of the excellent experienced repainters who have not only shared their creations but also their knowledge over the years.

And I thank you for this one. I know the artist who did all the artwork on the real jet and I can tell you he loves it.

Nowhere near the quality of you folks, but here it is anyway...

From May 2004 uploaded to Simviation

Attachment 74668

Model by Tamas and Peter Nemeth... How time moves on!

Days to remember. Especially the frustration, the questions, and the help I got from those more experienced.
    Thanks go out to all of you. Why I say this, I have no idea. Repainting is an addiction!

The textures are actually scaled way out of proportion, although to me a major accomplishment.

I love to see threads like this, with "where it all began". I first got started in the summer of 2004, putting together some repaints for the AT-6 that Wozza had just released for FS2004 that year. At the time all I knew to have access to was MS Paint, and I still clearly remember the considerable amount of time spent on just making each rivet, and being far from the thought of knowing what "layers" were - a word that had no meaning using MS Paint. I took a great deal of guidance from the work of David Green, who at the time, was doing some really brilliant things with producing the look of metal in the sim (unfortunately, some have taken credit for "discovering", years later, some of the same techniques he was already using years before). Not only was he a great repainter to admire and learn from, but he also had so many great stories from his dad's WWII service (his dad being the famed WWII fighter pilot, ace, and leader, Col. Herschel "Herky" Green). I've missed him not being a part of this forum for several years now.

My first repaint, which happens to be a locally-based SNJ (the screenshot, being just as dated as the repaint - saved as a .GIF using MS Paint):

Not exactly a repaint but my first work in a flightsim was modeling and painting ten 1930's air racers for FS98 twelve years ago.
    They are still on flightsim.com for some reason.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....archid=1915369

I later went on to hang out with Bill Lyons and join his Golden Eagles Squadron. I learned much from that talented group and continued to paint and model planes for FS and other sims such as SDOE, IL2. Today I just do part time work for developers such as GAS and paint planes that really grab me. I think once you start painting for sims it gets in your blood and you are stuck doing it for life.

Compared to what many of you posted, this is a downright humble beginning. I only redid the tail, plus a few places on the fuselage.

Charter Member 2012
    My earliest stuff was done mostly for Alphasim aircraft, I think, the first was the F-4D many many moons ago, most of which has been obliterated in the Avsim crash.

IIRC my first was a repaint of the freeware BN Islander for FS2004 done as a request for someone over at CBFS. In fact I did two for it, one of the UK Coast Guard scheme and one of the Headcorn Parachute Club scheme.

I learned a lot from that project as it was not any easy aircraft to repaint due to some mirroring of textures and bad mapping issues.
    Larry

Charter Member 2011
    mine was of a fictional wildcat for CFS2, back in the days when people did their own paint kits and didnt demand that devs provide one, how times have change
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

I'm very new to the painting scene (2012), so my first published and uploaded here at SOH.

Robert Sanderson's Stearman based on the movie The Aviator (1985)...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Started painting as soon as it was possible in FS. It was all airliners for me back then. I just checked at Flightsim and the first I uploaded there was a repaint of Brian Quayle's 737-300 in the then new Frontier Airlines "Spirit of the West" scheme. That was in 1996 for FS5 and we only had a 128 color palette. We didn't even put screenshots in the zip files back then because bandwidth was such a concern.

First commercial work was for Alphasim painting their IAF/RAAF F-4E for CFS2/FS2002 in early 2002.

Attachment 74698

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    back in the days when people did their own paint kits
    This was the way I did my first and others. There is a lot more self appreciation (speaking for myself) and it's a great learning process on how exactly the layers are built up to achieve "released" final results.
    Now days, I'm lazy!!

I look at this these days and it's comical at best.

This was actually my second "repaint" and it wasn't anything other than figuring out how to get our 257th logo guy on the tail of this F-18 in "Jane's F-18". My first repaint was basically the same thing for the F-15 in "Jane's F-15". That one was fancier because I added a tail code strip. A stupid as it was, I was surprised at the response I got from the 257th guys.

I took a screenie of this web page years ago before it disappeared from the web. It's a bit of ancient multi-player online air-combat history.

FAC257

Here's my first (that wasn't just a simple recolor of someone else's work). I still like it, but I'd like to go back and fix some things. Ah well, I don't have time to do many repaints anyway.

--Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

I wish I had a first hehe...

Never could figure out how to paint fs planes!

I just want to thank all of you painters... I've probably downloaded one of your paints throughout my FS career, starting with FS5..
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Here is the first one I distributed. Aeroshell Team repaint for the Alphasim T-6 Texan.

Need to set the record straight

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I love to see threads like this, with "where it all began". I first got started in the summer of 2004, putting together some repaints for the AT-6 that Wozza had just released for FS2004 that year. At the time all I knew to have access to was MS Paint, and I still clearly remember the considerable amount of time spent on just making each rivet, and being far from the thought of knowing what "layers" were - a word that had no meaning using MS Paint. I took a great deal of guidance from the work of David Green, who at the time, was doing some really brilliant things with producing the look of metal in the sim (unfortunately, some have taken credit for "discovering", years later, some of the same techniques he was already using years before). Not only was he a great repainter to admire and learn from, but he also had so many great stories from his dad's WWII service (his dad being the famed WWII fighter pilot, ace, and leader, Col. Herschel "Herky" Green). I've missed him not being a part of this forum for several years now.

My first repaint, which happens to be a locally-based SNJ (the screenshot, being just as dated as the repaint - saved as a .GIF using MS Paint):

John was way too kind in his description of my work with alpha layers etc. Most of the stuff I was able to accomplish was by trial and error and accidental discoveries along the way. I have been away from simming and this forum for quite a while and I have missed it. My kids needed me to be there for them not sitting at my computer painting rivets, lines etc. My oldest is now off to college at the Culinary Institute of America and my middle child will be a senior in HS this year. That leaves my daughter who is 13 but she seems to be needing me less and less or at least she seems to want to spend less time with me. I think this is normal for a teenage daughter. All this means at some point I hope to get back into the virtual flying world and maybe even get the itch to re-learn all the stuff I've forgotten over the years and start painting again. This time I'll be leaning on John and all of his great work.

One thing I do need to say is that while I am related to Herky Green and I have had the privilege of visiting him at his home and talking to him many, many times he was not my father. He had two daughters and no sons. He would have been my Grandfather's cousin, both of whom grew up in Mayfield, KY as did my father. Unfortunately, Herky passed away in 2006 and is buried out in California where he settled after his service in the Air Force. I still keep in touch with his wife, we exchange Christmas Cards and speak a couple of times a year. I just wanted to set the record straight or correct any misconceptions. I sure do miss Herky's stories and commentary on life in general as he was one of a kind.

I hope everyone here, some I know and some I don't, are happy and well.

Warmest Regards,

David Green
    DRG_1

Just my 2 cents, there is a lot of talent here at simouthouse, I look at some of the work in repainting all these fine aircraft and there is a wealth of knowledge here and New repainters could learn a lot from. Thanks for all your hard and tireless work keeping this so called "Hobby" around for years and hopefully years to come. Just me 2 cents.:salute:

Bill

P.S. for what its worth, I learned how to use Photoshop and learn to repaint here at Simouthouse From Very Talented painters, I know more about Photoshop than My 2 Collage students that both took a coarse in High school and they still cant figure out how I know so much when I didn't take a coarse on it. That's funny. Thank You All Again

Bill

No screenshots, but my first were for CFS 1, had to have been in '99. I still occasionally paint some if the subject really grabs me. I did one a couple of weeks ago, Milton's Beech 18 as a US Navy JRB in very early 1943.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.