Mid air collisions.

Thread: Mid air collisions.

Mid air collisions.

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone crashed and burned before from hitting one of there own AI aeroplanes by accident in flight ?? I haven't....YET.

I've had a collision with one of my wingmen during a dogfight. Not good...

Just during dog fights. I don't recall ever hitting one while just cruising.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

MidAir Collisions

Seasoned members here have heard this all before, but newer members may not know:

The Collision Bubble is adjustable using
    MkMDL, MDLDist, and even Hex Editing.

I prefer
    MkMDL because if offers a visual reference with examples, and I also like to make my A/C have very "Tight" collision bubbles for closer flying.

The general rule of thumb ?

2 - 5 = Fighters, Light Aircraft, Ground Vehicles

6 - 7 = Smaller Transports [C-47]

8 - 10 = Larger Transports & Seaplanes [PBY]

11 to 16 = Large Bombers [B-52]

The Key ?

If it LOOKS too close in the Free Flight selection window, you probably have it a little TOO close....

EXPERIMENT !

SC
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+ Won't work for me

It looks like a great little program. It's probably me. I just don't know what I'm doing, but Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+, just doesn't want to work for me. I'm running Win 7.

When I run the program I get a box that says....

"Missing Files: mdlc.exe" and then "The MDLC program by Ivan Hsu was not found. In order to use this software you must have a
    copy of the MDLC files installed in the same directory as this mk_mdlc software."

But when, I close the box....boom.... the application " Win utility for MDLC" opens up. I can make the changes but when I click the "Start Conversion Button" I get a big red text message in the upper right corner, CONVERSION FAILED.

If anyone can suggest a solution, I'm game to try it.

You should have posted this is in your Just Curious! thread. As for the error. I've seen it once but it went away after restarted the program but I use XP. This maybe a Win 7 issue since MDLC is a DOS program.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yeh, sure wish there was a mk mdl that I could use on my Windows 7 64 Bit system so I could set my collision bubbles.

I think I tried to reduce the collision bubble thing at one time when I was trying to pack a carrier deck with planes, otherwise they automatically smash into one another.

Quote Originally Posted by demorier View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, has anyone crashed and burned before from hitting one of there own AI aeroplanes by accident in flight ?? I haven't....YET.

I get a bit too aggressive during dog fights so my inflight collisions happen to me on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post

I get a bit too aggressive during dog fights so my inflight collisions happen to me on a regular basis.
    Thatīs very annoying and frustrating (I mean exploding because of a mid air collision when you werenīt that close to the other aircraft). It happend to me many times.

Thatīs why I spread out (S key) my wing men before commencing an attack myself.

But when I have time between seeing the target and getting engaged I first select a target (tab) and give the command to attack (A) once. That makes one pair of my wingmen separate to attack. Then I select another target (tab) and give another call for spread out (S), and as soon as I get the answer I give the order to attack (A) one time. As soon As I get the confirmation answer .... so and so. It doesnīt mean I always succeed, but at least my wingmen help something getting engaged with different targets and if you are lucky and the agressiveness and skilled degree assigened to your wingmen is higher than your AI opponents theīll get some kills. Otherwise, at least, they get out of the way and take some enemy fighters and/or bullets of enemy bombers with them, clearing the sky a little.

As when attacking head on.. well, thatīs a good way to collide. So now I make a faint to one side, another the opposite way, and then I try to get some shots when the AI enemy passes by.

In that way I havenīt collided in a great while and havenīt changed the size of the collision bubble.

Cheers, Discus

COLLISION_SECS=-2

I don't know if you all know of this, but a trick we used in Multiplayer on the Zone was to set COLLISION_SECS=-2 under the MULTIPLAYER paragraph on the CFS2.cfg. It sets the view window of the selection tab (and thus the collision bubble) just inside the wingtips of stock and add-on aircraft. My observation is that this size holds for aircraft in the Singleplayer modes as well. Here's a shot of some 1% B-25's using that setting on the stern of a stationary stock Essex Class with a 25 knot headwind. Notice the distnce center-of-mass to center-of-mass between the last 2 B-25's is 29 meters - a little more than wingspan. We managed to get 8 on deck and all later took off - after "a few trys.

Note: Do Not Set the cfs.cfg to read only if you want to fly campaigns. I set a shortcut to this file anyway so I can easily check that the value hasn't reset to the stock +2.
    "De Oppresso Liber"