Aerofly FS now on STEAM

Thread: Aerofly FS now on STEAM

Aerofly FS now on STEAM

'Aerofly FS' flight simulator is now available for download via Steam.
    It is 15% off ($33.99 USD) until October 24th, 2012.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214130/

I have been wanting to try it, but never got around to ordering the DVD version.
    Since it's the price of an FSX addon for the time being, and now downloadable, I'm going to give it a go.

EDIT: Looks like its about 16.6Gb download, so it's going to take a few hours.

Be very interested in your views Dain.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

No longer active
    Bought it on the first day of its release. At a first glance the graphics are breathtaking and the loading time is almost non-existent. But that's about it.
    I'm a long time user of their RC simulator and a while ago they released their True scale add-on.
    http://www.aerofly.com/afpd/addons.html#addon3en
    Well, they didn't change a single thing for the FDE While Aerofly is a superb RC simulator, the planes in Aerofly FS feel and handle exactly the same way...like big RC models.
    It's really nice to hop in and do a circuit in gusty weather with the DR400 but that get's boring rather quickly as the VC is not clickable, no weight, fuel or mixture controls, strange ground handling, L/D ratios questionable etc.
    If you haven't used the RC version the yaw dropping effect will last longer due to the superb graphics.
    Another strange thing is that there isn't a replay possibiliy, something the RC version does have.

I agree with pretty much everything Bernt says about it. Because it models RC flight so realistically, it handles wind in a way that feels pretty good, if also a bit strange for a full size airplane. But the lack of simulation of systems really kills it for me. I almost never fly it. Nice scenery in the mountains, and pretty shadows in the cockpit, but sterile.

The grass is greener on the FSX side of the fence...

I agree with Mr. Stolle and Griphos assessments.
    No force feedback also really makes all of the planes 'feel' the same.
    Does make you feel like you are inside a large RC model plane.

I was able to "Gold Trophy" the Challenges I tried each the first time around.
    'Steam' always has Achievements, little goals to go for, and I was able to get 1/3 of them in an hour.

It is amazingly fast to load, blazing FPS on my system, and the graphics look really great.
    I'll definitely use it to sight see around Switzerland.
    (May actually cause me to finally break down and order Switzerland Professional X now.)

But I'd have to put it on par with MS Flight, with actually with less features than Flight but some how less annoying than Flight.
    I'll probably use it for some 'Quick Hops', when I want just jump in and fly.
    Waiting for FSX to load up initially can still be a pain.

So not really impressed with Aerofly FS, but not really disappointed either.
    Think if you have Flight installed though, Roger, you pretty much have a similar sim, with more features and better FDE.

Charter Member 2012
    I think it was worth the money - its a great basic sim. If only FSX's scenary would play that well on my pc! but what the guys said above i also agree with.

Its a lovely way to explore Switzerland. It would be great if they made it a great chopper sim.

But off now to shoot people down over the somme with Rise of Flight - now that is a sim to have if your interested in WW1 aviation.

ROF has some of the nicest flight modeling out there. Really provides the feel of flying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    The grass is greener on the FSX side of the fence...

I agree with Mr. Stolle and Griphos assessments.
    No force feedback also really makes all of the planes 'feel' the same.
    Does make you feel like you are inside a large RC model plane.

I was able to "Gold Trophy" the Challenges I tried each the first time around.
    'Steam' always has Achievements, little goals to go for, and I was able to get 1/3 of them in an hour.

It is amazingly fast to load, blazing FPS on my system, and the graphics look really great.
    I'll definitely use it to sight see around Switzerland.
    (May actually cause me to finally break down and order Switzerland Professional X now.)

But I'd have to put it on par with MS Flight, with actually with less features than Flight but some how less annoying than Flight.
    I'll probably use it for some 'Quick Hops', when I want just jump in and fly.
    Waiting for FSX to load up initially can still be a pain.

So not really impressed with Aerofly FS, but not really disappointed either.
    Think if you have Flight installed though, Roger, you pretty much have a similar sim, with more features and better FDE.
    Thanks for your assessment Dain. For one of the smaller sims it seems to have quite a lot of possibilities if they have the desire and the capital to develop it further.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for your assessment Dain. For one of the smaller sims it seems to have quite a lot of possibilities if they have the desire and the capital to develop it further.

There are statements on their forum that there is a team working on developing of the sim. It says that the team is small so it takes time but it is not in any way dead.

Even with its imperfections, for the price of a single add-on plane for FSX, I think folks who approach it with an open mind instead of focusing on comparing sims will find plenty to enjoy in it.

No, I can't fly IFR like in FSX. But I can certainly do some really fun sight-seeing over the Alps in an F/A-18.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I think folks who approach it with an open mind instead of focusing on comparing sims will find plenty to enjoy in it.
    I approached it with a very open mind. And only one person in this thread so far has compared it with other sims, and that was hardly the focus of the post. We have merely talked about what we find in it that is good and what not as good, and what we do not find in it that makes it less enjoyable for us.

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    But I can certainly do some really fun sight-seeing over the Alps in an F/A-18.
    Although it's almost 3 times as expensive, the Switzerland pro X scenery for FSX is 3 times better.
    For a VFR sim with just a single tiny scenery area it's not nice to have wrong colors and trees growing in the middle of rivers.