deHavilland Dash 7 - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: deHavilland Dash 7

DHC-7 version 3

Thanks to all of the team for another great a/c. Lovely to hand fly and able to put into the shortest of strips and get out again. The choice of flt models from two captains of the DHC-7 is really impressive. Difficult to choose between them, never having flown anything bigger than a PX-7. Compromised by using one on the pax a/c and t'other on the ice recon bird.

Tried to install smoke for the paraffin burners but it will not show. Is there an engines controlled smoke gauge in there already?

Thanks again for a really great a/c for FS2004.

Mal

Thanks on behalf of the team: Mike Kelley, Nigel, Tom Falley, Bernt Stolle, and Scott Thomas.

Minor updates as well to the panel, Nigel improved on the sound fidelity a bit, and I darkened the night time panel gauge back lighting. If you like these changes you can alias your other Dash 7 download to this panel and sounds (or copy over). If you prefer the darker panel back lighting, you can copy those textures to the other model's texture folders. They are: vcleft_L.bmp, vcright_L.bmp, vcecu_L.bmp, and vcovhd_L.bmp. (In FSX, these textures go to the shared folder.)

The flight model is tweaked specifically for this model with lower weight so you should keep this model separate from the others.

Unfortunately, I just discovered I left three old _L's in the texture folder. They are vcright_Lx.bmp, vcleft_Lx.bmp, and vcovhd_Lx.bmp. These can be deleted. (Only applies to the FS9 release)

If you check out the Images folder, you will see some neat screenshots Mike took. All the images (screenshots) were taken while flying in Aerosoft Antarctica X scenery.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Thanks to all of the team for another great a/c. Lovely to hand fly and able to put into the shortest of strips and get out again. The choice of flt models from two captains of the DHC-7 is really impressive. Difficult to choose between them, never having flown anything bigger than a PX-7. Compromised by using one on the pax a/c and t'other on the ice recon bird.

Tried to install smoke for the paraffin burners but it will not show. Is there an engines controlled smoke gauge in there already?

Thanks again for a really great a/c for FS2004.

Mal
    Hi Mal, thanks and happy that you are enjoying the Dash 7.

There is no gauge controlling engine exhaust. One of the best I have seen came out several years ago, I believe at Flightsim, for a C-130 package. This was a standalone smoke package for FS9. Here is a picture of that implementation as I recall but I do not have the smoke package.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Dhc-7 smoke

Thanks for that info Milton. I am not looking at installing an engine revs related gauge to control the smoke, just a plain insertion of some smoke effect into the '[smoke]' section - controlled, on or off by the 'I' keystroke.

Set the effect up but no smoke unless I hold the 'I' key down. This normally indicates that there is a gauge installed that already controls smoke effects. Hence the question.

I will continue to look at it.

Thanks again for a great Dash-7.

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Thanks for that info Milton. I am not looking at installing an engine revs related gauge to control the smoke, just a plain insertion of some smoke effect into the '[smoke]' section - controlled, on or off by the 'I' keystroke.

Set the effect up but no smoke unless I hold the 'I' key down. This normally indicates that there is a gauge installed that already controls smoke effects. Hence the question.

I will continue to look at it.

Thanks again for a great Dash-7.

Mal
    Yes, that is what I understood Mal. And AFAIK, the smoke I referred to is just that, a smoke effect. It came out in around 2003-4.

EDIT: Downloaded the smokc130.zip smoke effect from Flightsim for Mike Stone's C130, page 4 of FS2004 Misc; installed and tested. Changed Smoke parameters to:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0=0.00, -08.00, 23.50, FX_C130_SMOKE.fx
    smoke.1=0.00, -08.00, 12.00, FX_C130_SMOKE.fx
    smoke.2=0.00, -08.00, -12.00, FX_C130_SMOKE.fx
    smoke.3=0.00, -08.00, -23.50, FX_C130_SMOKE.fx

Tested and I can verify that it will work ... but something in the panel does prohibit constant running smoke.
    If you rename your panel.cfg you will see the smoke effect continuously. I have reviewed all the gauges in the panel.cfg for the culprit but I see nothing that I would recognize as causing this. AFAIK and can see, we use no gauges to control effects. I do not know what event of action in a panel that would restrict this so I will write to Hans-Joerg Naegele for his view on this.

EDIT 2: FOUND THE SMOKE PROBLEM GAUGE:

Delete (or comment out) the following gauge entries:
    In Window00: gauge82=annun3!Surfacefx, 776,20,5,5
    In Window04: gauge37=annun3!Surfacefx, 777,279,5,5
    In vcockpit03, Delete Gauge100 of the same Surfacefx

EDIT 3: I re-uploaded the FS9 zip after removing the 3 unneeded textures and the 3 gauge entries above effective Dec 8th 1600 GMT.

If you are interested in using this effect, download Smokc130.zip from Flightsim By Michael Hoestrup in the FS2004 Misc section, page 4, and remove the aforementioned gauge entries from your panel.cfg. Use the Smokesystem aircraft.cfg entries I posted above. Use the "I" key to invoke.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 8th, 2013 at 06:52. Reason: More Info
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Very nice Uncle Milton. Anxiously awaiting the final layers for the nacelles from Mike to round off the bump maps for the native FSX model

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Very nice Uncle Milton. Anxiously awaiting the final layers for the nacelles from Mike to round off the bump maps for the native FSX model
    Thanks eurostar350. I have passed the message on to mike. He has been busy wrapping up this CIR livery I suspect. His available time should improve over the next 4 weeks.

We do look forward the the native version for the FSX folks. :-)
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 7th, 2013 at 20:16.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I've had the pleasure of flying this beautiful aircraft just about an hour ago. Normally when I load an aircraft into the F-Sim, I boot it up just to
    check her out. But this time I couldn't put her down. I was having to much fun! I was even hangin' out in the observation seat for a while.
    Beautiful job to all you guys. Thank you very much for yet another Class A No.1 aircraft. It ain't going to be parked for to long let me tell ya.
    I really love the sound pack to Mr.Nigel Richards. especially the exterior. Very powerful! Nice!

Model Designer: Milton Shupe ]---------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you!
    Exterior Textures FS9 and FSX: Copyright by Mike Kelly ]--------------------------------------- Thank you!
    Flight Model Designers: Two sets: Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley ]--------------------------------- Thank you!
    FDE Advisor's: Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley, both former Dash 7 pilots. ]-------------------------- Thank you!
    Technical Advisors: Bernt Stolle, Tom Falley ]-------------------------------------------------- Thank you!
    Tested: Sim-Outhouse Membership ]----------------------------------------------------------- Thank you!
    Panel and Gauges: Copyright by Scott Thomas, Microsoft, and other authors as noted ]-----------Thank you!
    Sounds: Copyright by Nigel Richards ]---------------------------------------------------------- Thank you!
    Special Effects: Cabin Lights: Brian Cook, wing night light effects(Newll) by Kaveh Payandeh ]---- Thank you!
    What do ya think? I think I got everyone.
    "May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars" Cheers George!

Thanks Blaze; happy you are enjoying it.

We try to keep the interior sounds down a bit to simulate having a headset on. It's actually very noisy and loud in the cockpit otherwise.

Effects wise, I chose to not include the snow/rain wisps off the gear when on a snowy/icy/wet runway and also took out the wing nacelle light effects. If you like those light effects, you can copy them from the last release.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Paint Kit Released for de Havilland Dash 7

1. Scope

This paint kit is for the Milton Shupe de Havilland Canada DHC-7 (Dash7) and was created using
    Adobe Photoshop CS6 and saved as a layered Photoshop PSD. File dimensions are 2048 pixels x
    2048 pixels at 300 ppi resolution. For FSX texture save as a BMP or DDS at 2048 x 2048 or
    smaller. For FS9 texture save as a BMP at 1024 x 1024 or smaller.

2. Required Files

The following files are required to be used in conjunction with this kit:
    • FS9 (MS2004) base aircraft: Dash7Pkg9.zip
    • FSX base aircraft: Dash7PkgX.zip

Thanks to Mike Kelley who put a lot of time in this paint kit.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Since we're on the subject of effects, paint kits, and mods for this superb Dash-7, I found Bob Rivera's (Banana Bob) prop mod that he did for an earlier Dash-7 release. It works very nice with the new Ice Recon Dash-7 as well as the recent re-release of the Dash-7 by Milton and the Team. It's in the "Latest Uploads" here at SOH, if you are interested.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Since we're on the subject of effects, paint kits, and mods for this superb Dash-7, I found Bob Rivera's (Banana Bob) prop mod that he did for an earlier Dash-7 release. It works very nice with the new Ice Recon Dash-7 as well as the recent re-release of the Dash-7 by Milton and the Team. It's in the "Latest Uploads" here at SOH, if you are interested.

BB686
    Thanks for the link to this cosmetic update BB!
    For best result you might want to cross out the 'prop_anim_ratio=1.025' line in the [fltsim.x] section.

More effects...
    Shockwave landing and taxi configuration

light.xx=5, 0.5, -34.4, 3.0, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old ,
    light.xx=5, 0.5, 34.4, 3.0, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old ,
    light.xx=6, 23.0, 0.0, -7.7, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old ,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 resized.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1403

Stuart
    Last edited by stuartcox; December 11th, 2013 at 02:40.

Thanks for those contributions BB686 and Stuart; we appreciate all that improves the in-sim experience. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This might sound like a stupid question... but did the cargo version get released yet? I thought I read something along those lines, but I can't for the life of me find it.

No it has not; I am awaiting final textures. Sorry Gerdoner.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    No it has not; I am awaiting final textures. Sorry Gerdoner.
    No worries. It was just me mis-reading something then

Icon14

Does anybody know if it's possible to find a "Rocky Mountain" livery somewhere online? Compliments again for the wonderful bird!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIAI S81 View Post
    Does anybody know if it's possible to find a "Rocky Mountain" livery somewhere online? Compliments again for the wonderful bird!!!
    Sorry that RMA was only available for the earlier model Dash 7.
    That livery was done in 2002:

De Havilland Dash 7 Rocky Mountain Airways
    Repaint by Bob Patton

There are a bunch of liveries done for that model (over 100) but I do not see that happening for this model until possibly after it goes FSX native.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

And here are a few others that haven't been done ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

... and a few more ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here