deHavilland Dash 7 - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: deHavilland Dash 7

Haggling over some lighting issues in my own testing, I revamped the lighting section.

Improves night flying, cockpit lighting, cabin lighting, and some external cabin lit anomalies.

If you wish to replace your lighting sections in the three aircraft.cfgs (main plus the two master copies):

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1 – Beacon, 2 – Strobe, 3 – Navigation, 4 – Cockpit , 5 – Landing, 6 – Taxi, 7 – Recognition, 8 – Wing, 9 – Logo, 10 – Cabin
    light.0=3, -1.9, -46.4, 3.7, fx_navred ,
    light.1=3, -1.9, 46.3, 3.7, fx_navgre ,
    light.2=2, -2.3, 46.3, 3.7, fx_strobe ,
    light.3=2, -2.3, -46.4, 3.7, fx_strobe ,
    light.4=1, -43.4, 0.2, 17.2, fx_beacon ,
    light.5=1, 5.3, 0.0, -7.8, fx_beacon ,
    light.6=10, 9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
    light.7=10, 4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
    light.8=10, 0.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
    light.9=10, -4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
    light.10=10, -9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
    light.11=10, -16.00, -1.0, -3.5, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
    light.12=3, -46.1, 0.1, 1.2, fx_navwhi ,
    light.13=2, -44.8, 0.02, -0.85, fx_strobe

And, please remember to test both FM's.
    You can recognize which you are testing by the top of the aircraft.cfg:

//de Havilland Canada DHC-7 (FS9)
    //Model designed and animation (GMAX): Milton Shupe
    //Flight Dynamics: Tom Falley <<<< -------------------
    //Panel-Gauges: Scott Thomas
    //Effects: See Readme
    //Sound: Nigel Richards
    //Graphics: Mike Kelly

Key to each one is takeoff trim:

Bernt's FM: Takeoff trim at zero
    Tom's FM: Takeoff trim at +6
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Beta testers: Please review this Cold and Dark Start procedure for validity. Thanks :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Bernt and I both flew the DHC7 at earlier points in our flying careers. Bernt flew for Tyrolian and I flew in Alaska for Markair.

FDE development is in some ways more of an art than a science, though meeting the specs is certainly one of the important parts of the goal. For mine, just use the cockpit trim wheel indicator position to set the trim in the takeoff range to start with. I hope all enjoy this revisitation of Milton Classic, which makes it a classic indeed. Two flavors of flying are available based on our best rememberances and interpretations.

Thanks Milton! As always: T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Bernt and I both flew the DHC7 at earlier points in our flying careers. Bernt flew for Tyrolian and I flew in Alaska for Markair.

FDE development is in some ways more of an art than a science, though meeting the specs is certainly one of the important parts of the goal. For mine, just use the cockpit trim wheel indicator position to set the trim in the takeoff range to start with. I hope all enjoy this revisitation of Milton Classic, which makes it a classic indeed. Two flavors of flying are available based on our best rememberances and interpretations.

Thanks Milton! As always: T
    Is the only difference between the 2 setups trim setting?I appreciate how well the Flight dynamics on ver3 are done and the proof is how reactive the aircraft is to just a few knots of speed during approach. When you get the power and trim set just right. coming down the glidescope is a cakewalk and you can actually "feel" your on a good approach. A few knots extra and its a different ball game though and really give the "feeling" of getting behind the aircraft.

The FM's are completely different. Happy that you are enjoying them.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Beta testers:

1) For those of you who have an earlier model of the Dash 7 version, the gauge cabs are likely causing some of your switch selections or operations. The release of this version will use differently named gauge cabs.

2) For cold starts, if you are doing this manually, you must pull the prop condition levers back to flight idle before the ignition will happen.

3) Please have your test results to me by Tuesday end of day.

Thanks for all your time and efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Beta testers:

3) Please have you test results to me by Tuesday end of day.

Hi Milton,

do you mean for ALL the testing or just for the cold and dark procedure?
    I only got about halfway and a bit for the complete test regime over the weekend :isadizzy:

I must still do the high-altitude operation, a couple more different airports (especially difficult ones), the destruction testing, different weight behaviour and engine-out procedures.

Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Hi Milton,

do you mean for ALL the testing or just for the cold and dark procedure?
    I only got about halfway and a bit for the complete test regime over the weekend :isadizzy:

I must still do the high-altitude operation, a couple more different airports (especially difficult ones), the destruction testing, different weight behaviour and engine-out procedures.

Sascha
    Sascha, I need your results by Tuesday end of day for all testing. I do understand the need for time but do the best you can by then.

Thank you :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Sascha, I need your results by Tuesday end of day for all testing. I do understand the need for time but do the best you can by then.

Thank you :-)
    Ok, will make some time!

Sascha

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    High Arctic testing in Prepar3D is about 80%. Will make the end of Tuesday line.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Beta testers:

3) Please have your test results to me by Tuesday end of day.

YIKES!! . (Looks at Crew Chief.... "Do you think I could have the -7 for just one more flight early Tuesday morning? Don't you have something that needs to be delivered to another airstrip somewhere?") :isadizzy: Just because I have a busted pinkie finger doesn't mean I can't fly her...

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    YIKES!! . (Looks at Crew Chief.... "Do you think I could have the -7 for just one more flight early Tuesday morning? Don't you have something that needs to be delivered to another airstrip somewhere?") :isadizzy: Just because I have a busted pinkie finger doesn't mean I can't fly her...

Well, if its any consolation, I already took care of Squamish, Tipella, and Hope, BC.

But, if you pay for fuel, we have a Bella Coola run you can make. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I will finish testing tonight and have a report ready for tomorrow night.I hope milton has time to hammer all the dents i put in her out before releasing the dash7 to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    I will finish testing tonight and have a report ready for tomorrow night.I hope milton has time to hammer all the dents i put in her out before releasing the dash7 to the public.
    LOL There may be a fire sale before its all over. Those bush guys are after parts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL There may be a fire sale before its all over. Those bush guys are after parts.

Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Try starting this bad boy in -35 to -45F Temps in Prepar3D lol. I just got my checklist from Air Tindi thankfully, it's cold in Deadhorse PASC. Time to burn the oil and warm up the Hooch stove.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Almost had a panic attack today. Noticed that Milton wants all test results by the end of Tuesday. I had forgotten that the end of Tuesday for you people is about 1400 Wednesday in Australia.

Because of some family matters to take care of I have not done as much flying as I normally do. I have been doing some flights along the Eastern part of Australia and tonight I am going to the Red Centre with temps in the 40s and 50s celsius then head up to the top end for some very humid testing. If I have time there is a large continent at the bottom of the earth that I might have a look at as well.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    I have been doing some flights along the Eastern part of Australia and tonight I am going to the Red Centre with temps in the 40s and 50s celsius then head up to the top end for some very humid testing..

After completing that course; "Go West, young man!"
    After all that gruelling heat, I'll have a couple of ice-cold 'Swans' waiting for you at Jandakot.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Might head from Darwin down the West coast just for the fun of it.

Looking for some OZx strips to test the short field capabilities.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    After all that gruelling heat, I'll have a couple of ice-cold 'Swans' waiting for you at Jandakot.
    Good thinking, Nigel - wouldn't do to turn up at the FBO smelling of beer ! :icon_twi:

ATB
    MikeW

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Might head from Darwin down the West coast just for the fun of it.

Looking for some OZx strips to test the short field capabilities.
    Good idea - you might try putting her down on a dirt track I recall at Red Bluff, kalbarri...catch yourself a couple of nice sized Jewfish or Kingfish (while refuelling) as a teatime treat for all this intense test flying. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by emfrat View Post
    Good thinking, Nigel - wouldn't do to turn up at the FBO smelling of beer ! :icon_twi:

ATB
    MikeW
    Too right, Mike.

Thorough testing can be very demanding - not for the faint-hearted.

I'll bet these blokes have worked up a good thirst, doing all this, - reckon they've earned their barrel of Emu when the day's done!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    After completing that course; "Go West, young man!"
    Jandakot...? I've been to that airstrip a few times, (in the sim, of course)... A nice short runway for one to test their landing skills in the Dash 7 on. :isadizzy:

"El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thanks to All the Beta Testers

Thanks for all your time invested to discover the issues and anomalies. I hope to get all the things corrected tomorrow that I can.

If that goes well, maybe we can get the Dash 7 released this weekend.

I really appreciate your sincere efforts to improve the final product.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

If you do need any assistance with the panel graphics / switch labels etc or anything of that nature let me know.
    I think I am finally done with the install in Oakland and heading back to Ontario,CA tomorrow....and Friday is booked in as a day off.

Cheers
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    If you do need any assistance with the panel graphics / switch labels etc or anything of that nature let me know.
    I think I am finally done with the install in Oakland and heading back to Ontario,CA tomorrow....and Friday is booked in as a day off.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Thank you Stefan

Tonight I have about 25% of teh issues resolved , then got sidetracked to improve the cockpit night lighting.

This is the first cut to get things crisp. I may need to darken it for realism, however many times folks do not want to go too dark as they usually fly in the virtual night time during the day in a brightly lit room. And that tends to make the panel hard to read.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here