deHavilland Dash 7 - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: deHavilland Dash 7

The US Army flew one or two Dash 7s in colors that looked very similar to the TWA scheme. As I recall, they lacked any military insignia.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Yes I saw Chris' TWE paint scheme but it was a different era and scheme than this one. He may have done the earlier on back in 02-03 but I could not find it.

I agree, Markus is missed and I do not know why he left. Such a talent!
    I also very much miss Marcus's talent and wonderful attention to detail - let's just hope he returns to the fold and we are once again graced with his friendly interraction also.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    I also very much miss Marcus's talent and wonderful attention to detail - let's just hope he returns to the fold and we are once again graced with his friendly interraction also.
    Indeed!

Marcus, please come back! We miss you!

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Heh... what, a Quotter, then??

The very best kind of re-work: an already excellent model being burnished with the Full Monty...
    I am very patient, and have just the place for it:

Come Christmas, there will be lots of lovely snow here, too.
    Is that helicopter for FS9.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    Is that helicopter for FS9.
    Not to sidetrack Milton's thread too much, yes it is: ICARO's AW139, probably the best available for FS9, at the usual download places.
    The scenery is Courcheval from LLH Creations.

Woooohooo a new Ice recon version :salute: Can hardly wait for the new dash 7 and it looks like us canuks are getting 3 canadian planes right off the hop. De Havilland did alot of their testing at my home town airport and watching them fly the wings off the prototype cemented my love for the aircraft.
    Thank you very much Milton

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ah yes FSX is waiting for the Ice reco Dash 7. See scenery is waiting to welcome Milton and team's Dash 7. For those in Fs9 here grab Roger wensly's arctic works, there excellent and go great with Sid and Pete's works. Anyone from FSX visiting this thread standby as I'm readying the Arctic. the one thing i love the most is the bond between Fs9 and FSX shares when it comes to the Canadian Arctic my home. Both are like a healthy marriage.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

FSX does a better job with the converging lines of longitude in the high latitude regions. Last years RTW race we landed at the South Pole which was a little like getting sucked into a sic-fi vortex.... Really wierd!

Cheers. T

Turbo prop question for rw pilots

What does the condition lever do and how to use it??
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    What does the condition lever do and how to use it??
    There are different types of TP engines. The Dash 7 TP is a P&W PT-6A Split Shaft Free Turbine engine and works quite differently from the fixed shaft type (Garrett).

This link describes it very well:

http://www.pilotoutlook.com/airplane...turbine_engine

This paragraph answers your question directly but follow the link for comprehensive information about TP management.

"Powerplant (engine and propeller) operation is achieved by three sets of controls for each engine: the power lever, propeller lever, and condition lever. [figure14-6] The power lever serves to control engine power in the range from idle through takeoff power. Forward or aft motion of the power lever increases or decreases gas generator r.p.m. (N1) and thereby increases or decreases engine power. The propeller lever is operated conventionally and controls the constant-speed propellers through the primary governor. The propeller r.p.m. range is normally from 1,500 to 1,900. The condition lever controls the flow of fuel to the engine. Like the mixture lever in a piston-powered airplane, the condition lever is located at the far right of the power quadrant. But the condition lever on a turboprop engine is really just an on/off valve for delivering fuel. There are HIGH IDLE and LOW IDLE positions for ground operations, but condition levers have no metering function. Leaning is not required in turbine engines; this function is performed automatically by a dedicated fuel control unit."

The only notable exception is that the Dash 7 has a stronger gear reduction for the props to address noise abatement. Its operating prop range is 800+RPMs to 1200 RPM's. Takeoff is at about 1240 RPM's, normal cruise at 1020 RPMs, and econo-cruise is at 900 RPMs.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Many eons ago I was a captain and instructor on the Dash 7, flying out in the Alutian Islands and other garden spots in Alaska. The props and thrust levers are managed much like a piston engine with a constant speed prop, thrust levers come back and then the props when reducing power. You will see the torque value increase as the props come back. Torque times RPM equal power, more or less, a bit like MP and RPM. Increasing power, RPM then thrust levers. The danger is over torquing the reduction gears and prop assemblies. The limit on the gas generator section is temperature....

T

Thanks for the replys and info. BTW I have the 7 in FSX and works great. Only problem was the props and fixed that with the file from the updated Howard 500. the 7 folder name in the sim is Dash7k2a and all the repaints for it work, at least the ones that I installed.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    Thanks for the replys and info. BTW I have the 7 in FSX and works great. Only problem was the props and fixed that with the file from the updated Howard 500. the 7 folder name in the sim is Dash7k2a and all the repaints for it work, at least the ones that I installed.
    That's good to hear. BTW, that is a 2002 version you are running. It's the same as teh 2004 version but exported for 2002 with minor changes to animations and some textures alphas.

This new version will not be compatible with the old ones with regard to textures or flight model. All new mapping.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

As one or two people have taken the opportunity while this thread is open to ask questions about the current version, may I please do the same. I am using the Cargo version consisting of folders " dash7c1" and "dash7c9" but have only retained the NWT texture. Everything seems fine except that when I select rear cockpit view I see a passenger cabin rather than a cargo hold.No big deal and I don't need to select this view but I wondered if there is some other folder from the Dash7 page that I should have also installed.Have Googled but not found any info. Thanks.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPe View Post
    As one or two people have taken the opportunity while this thread is open to ask questions about the current version, may I please do the same. I am using the Cargo version consisting of folders " dash7c1" and "dash7c9" but have only retained the NWT texture. Everything seems fine except that when I select rear cockpit view I see a passenger cabin rather than a cargo hold.No big deal and I don't need to select this view but I wondered if there is some other folder from the Dash7 page that I should have also installed.Have Googled but not found any info. Thanks.
    JP
    Hello JP :-)

Thank you for your interest. To the best of my recollection, I did not release an updated FS2004 cargo model in '06 like I did the other models. I cannot find any gmax source except the original release in the Fall of 2002. So, the Dash7c9 confuses me. Maybe I need to look around more. :-)

The original Cargo model had no VC cargo area. My guess is that you are runnning the later released Dash7v9 model with teh NWT texture and that is why you see what you see.

Are you running FS9 or FSX?

We hope to have the new Dash 7 with 5 variants out before Dec 25th if you can wait.

Otherwise I will investigate what it would take to do you a revised cargo model with a full interior of cargo. That would probably take about 30-40 hours of work just guessing.

EDIT: Okay, I found the Dash7c9 and it was simply a panel/gauge update with no model change.
    I have gotten the old c1 and applied the updates for FS9 to check it out. I will see if I can easily capture the original exterior model cargo hold contents and merge them into a new VC model for this aircraft.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Dear Mr Schupe

Thank you for your very prompt response.

I am using FS2004 and am definitely running your NoVC (I don't much care for them) Dash 7 cargo release "dash7c1.zip" for FS2002 together with the update for FS2004 "dash7c9.zip".

I can see pallets of caro when the side door is open in Spot View but, as I said previously, when you look back into the interior from the flight deck in Cockpit View you see a photo of rows of seats through the partially open interconnecting door (the same view can be seen under "Rear" when you open the panel folder in the "c1.zip")

With a whole new model due for release I don't think it is necessary to even contemplate making cargo for this version but a "photo" interior showing a glimpse of cargo instead of the seats would be nice if it was a quick and easy job. However,as I also said previously, I don't actually need to use this view anyway and it's only a minor detail.

Along with your Aero Commander and Beech 18 this is one of the most used aircraft in my collection and I have derived a great deal of pleasure from it over the past few years so my thanks to you and your colleagues for all your hard work. Much appreciated.

JP

Dear Mr Schupe

Thank you for your very prompt response.

I am using FS2004 and am definitely running your NoVC (I don't much care for them) Dash 7 cargo release "dash7c1.zip" for FS2002 together with the update for FS2004 "dash7c9.zip".

I can see pallets of caro when the side door is open in Spot View but, as I said previously, when you look back into the interior from the flight deck in Cockpit View you see a photo of rows of seats through the partially open interconnecting door (the same view can be seen under "Rear" when you open the panel folder in the "c1.zip")

With a whole new model due for release I don't think it is necessary to even contemplate making cargo for this version but a "photo" interior showing a glimpse of cargo instead of the seats would be nice if it was a quick and easy job. However,as I also said previously, I don't actually need to use this view anyway and it's only a minor detail.

Along with your Aero Commander and Beech 18 this is one of the most used aircraft in my collection and I have derived a great deal of pleasure from it over the past few years so my thanks to you and your colleagues for all your hard work. Much appreciated.

JP

JP,

Thank you for that improved explanation. I discovered what you were talking about as I was testing the version you are running. So, I put together a quicky cargo with vc model with your version and took a screenshot to replace the "Rear" bmp in the panel.cfg.... attached.

Just (right click the picture, save picture as Rear.bmp and) drop it into your panel folder and we will call it good for now.

Thanks for your comments.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mr Shupe

Now that really is excellent service !! Very kind of you to provide this modification and it does make a significant improvement to the overall realism.

Many thanks.

JP

Mr Shupe

Now that really is excellent service !! Very kind of you to provide this modification and it does make a significant improvement to the overall realism.

Many thanks.

JP
    Thank you JP. At your service Sir :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

More Progress on Textures and ...

Mike is making headway on the Gronlandsfly liveries, both the 101 and 103 series. Still a bit to do on interior textures for the five variants but progress looks good. Also showing the Air Greenland and UN liveries.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Oh the beautiful Air Greenland. Ive got flights between Iqaluit and Nuuk and Thule AFB just calling for her.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire

Yes, it is fun testing over Greenland. Lots of open space, navigating experience, and time to think and test, and enjoy the scenery.

Mike Kelly is doing an excellent job on the details of the Dash 7 liveries.

Here is a sample of his view of the exhaust headers appearance from reference pictures.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Nice use of highlights on the latches and small exhausts there!
    Makes them look very three-dimensional.

Milton, the Air Greenland Paint? what is the Reg # your using by chance? I have just got word Air Tindi bought a Air Greenland Dash 7 and this pic link was sent to me from a friend in Iqaluit.
    Attachment 74950
    I have also confirmed thru the Air Tindi Office at Yellowknife CEN9.

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Milton, the Air Greenland Paint? what is the Reg # your using by chance? I have just got word Air Tindi bought a Air Greenland Dash 7 and this pic link was sent to me from a friend in Iqaluit.
    Attachment 74950
    I have also confirmed thru the Air Tindi Office at Yellowknife CEN9.
    OY-CBU is all I have here.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here