WW2 ETO Ideas please

Thread: WW2 ETO Ideas please

WW2 ETO Ideas please

I'm taking part in a mission to ferry shortish range military aircraft to Europe via the North Atlantic Route. Usually, I fly low and slow GA types and am not 'well up' on military.

I'd be grateful for a few suggestions but I want to get away from DC-2s and -3s this trip. I don't have the A2A P-51 - this might be beyond my flying skills anyway.

Seem to recall from a magazine article, that single-engine types went by boat/ship; so for an alternate, west to east
    Lockheed P-38 (David Copley's freeware one can still be had at usual places)
    Lockheed Hudson (Alphasim)
    PBY Catalina (Alphasim)

going back the other way to Canada , Bristol Beaufort (Bolingbroke substitute; Alphasim) used in training schools

ttfn

Pete

Hi
    , check out 'women airforce service pilots' as they were the heroes who flew thousands of airplanes across the North Atlantic to the ETO...B17s, B24s P51s. 1000 of them flew over 6 million miles (from Wikipedia!)

DC3 Airways has flight plans I think for the Northern Routes.

Glenn Duncan has made scenery and flights for Southern crossings ..and.. a wonderful C87 as well !

Andy.

ps the reference to the P-51 is in a picture on the WIKI site... maybe just (!) flying cross country from the plant to get to the boat on the East Coast..still a 3000 mile trip in all weathers .

A

I agree that typically singles would not be ferried if they could reasonably be shipped in crates. No sense in risking personnel and material in that way.
    Wiki has a fairly decent site for the ferry routes used during that time to get to the ETO, but I have not seen a list of airplanes that were ferried in regular terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...n_World_War_II

Cheers
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Seem to recall from a magazine article, that single-engine types went by boat/ship; so for an alternate, west to east
    Lockheed P-38 (David Copley's freeware one can still be had at usual places)
    Lockheed Hudson (Alphasim)
    PBY Catalina (Alphasim)

Pete
    Thanks, I've checked out the P-38. Nice plane which flies well too. Maybe.....or maybe I'll pitch in and buy the Cat. I've always had a soft spot for the Cat as RAF flew them from bases in Lough Erne, Co Fermanagh, N. Ireland. They were used for convoy protection in the N. Atlantic and had 'special permission' to overfly part of the Irish Republic, which was neutral in WW2. In other words, a blind eye was turned.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi
    , check out 'women airforce service pilots' as they were the heroes who flew thousands of airplanes across the North Atlantic to the ETO...B17s, B24s P51s. 1000 of them flew over 6 million miles (from Wikipedia!)

Andy.
    That's very interesting. I've just agreed to do a philatelic presentation on women aviators. I'd no idea that women pilots flew these routes in such numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    I agree that typically singles would not be ferried if they could reasonably be shipped in crates. No sense in risking personnel and material in that way.
    Wiki has a fairly decent site for the ferry routes used during that time to get to the ETO, but I have not seen a list of airplanes that were ferried in regular terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...n_World_War_II

Stefan
    Thanks for the link, Stefan.

I guess some Beech 18s were flown over for special ops perhaps. Does anyone know?

I think the RAF used the C-45 (Beech 18) much like the US did. I've flown the North Atlantic route with it when I flew Milton's around the world.

My usual route across the North Atlantic is to leave northeastern Canada for BGBW in Greenland. This airfield was known as "Bluie west One" during the war. Author Ernie Gann tells quite the tale of his first flight into there flying for Air Transport Command in a DC-3 in "Fate is the Hunter". From there, it's on to Keflavik which was also an ATC stopover. From there they usually flew on to Prestwick Scotland, but I usually break that one up with a stop at the Faroe Islands.

One idea that I'm working on is to place a WWII carrier around where I know they did operations during the war. For the ETO, that's a bit thin, but Ranger (CV-4) did do some anti-shipping operations north of the Arctic Circle near Bodo Norway. As I don't have a version of Ranger, I'll put Saratoga (CV-3) in there instead. (I'm working on an around the world flight in a SBD Dauntless landing on carriers along the way)
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

After you make the North Atlantic route over to the ETO, try the South Atlantic route.

You can install a nice package by Ozbeauwolf with numerous transit airports and AI aircraft from the library here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&pp=20&sort=N
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

I'm going the other way. Flew the Southern Route in Dave Eckerts Marauder and have been tinkering with sceneries to fly the Northern sometime soon I hope. B-26s flew both.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I think the RAF used the C-45 (Beech 18) much like the US did. I've flown the North Atlantic route with it when I flew Milton's around the world.

My usual route across the North Atlantic is to leave northeastern Canada for BGBW in Greenland. This airfield was known as "Bluie west One" during the war. Author Ernie Gann tells quite the tale of his first flight into there flying for Air Transport Command in a DC-3 in "Fate is the Hunter". From there, it's on to Keflavik which was also an ATC stopover. From there they usually flew on to Prestwick Scotland, but I usually break that one up with a stop at the Faroe Islands.

One idea that I'm working on is to place a WWII carrier around where I know they did operations during the war. For the ETO, that's a bit thin, but Ranger (CV-4) did do some anti-shipping operations north of the Arctic Circle near Bodo Norway. As I don't have a version of Ranger, I'll put Saratoga (CV-3) in there instead. (I'm working on an around the world flight in a SBD Dauntless landing on carriers along the way)
    Yes, that's the route I'll be using. I've more or less settled on the SOH B-26 - there's an ETO paint on AVSIM for this. Carriers? Well, maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    After you make the North Atlantic route over to the ETO, try the South Atlantic route.

You can install a nice package by Ozbeauwolf with numerous transit airports and AI aircraft from the library here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&pp=20&sort=N
    Thanks for this. Great idea. For that I might use Milton's AT-11 Kansan if it has the range.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    I'm going the other way. Flew the Southern Route in Dave Eckerts Marauder and have been tinkering with sceneries to fly the Northern sometime soon I hope. B-26s flew both.

To make it on the long legs I think a 500 gallon fuel tank was fitted to the bomb bay area. I added this option to the aircraft cfg section for the weight but never learned if the sim was using it. I've mentioned it before in other posts but Stovall's "Wings of Courage" is a great reference for what you have in mind.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    To make it on the long legs I think a 500 gallon fuel tank was fitted to the bomb bay area. I added this option to the aircraft cfg section for the weight but never learned if the sim was using it. I've mentioned it before in other posts but Stovall's "Wings of Courage" is a great reference for what you have in mind.
    I'll check out that title. Thanks.

Regarding the long range ferry tank, if there's additional fuel available this should show as an increase in the weight of fuel carried when the tanks are full. It might be worth checking out Aircraft/Fuel and Weight with and without the changes to the aircraft.cfg.

Quote Originally Posted by JoHubb View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for the Cat as RAF flew them from bases in Lough Erne, Co Fermanagh, N. Ireland. They were used for convoy protection in the N. Atlantic and had 'special permission' to overfly part of the Irish Republic, which was neutral in WW2. In other words, a blind eye was turned.
    I've been to Lough Erne in 2006 (one of my many stays in Norn Iron). Friends of mine were on holiday in Enniskillen and took me and my local family on a day-long boat trip on the lough. One of the most beautiful places in Ireland. I never realised that Catalinas had been based there during WWII. (and why not; Lough Erne is huge).
    Thanks for the memories.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    I've been to Lough Erne in 2006 (one of my many stays in Norn Iron). Friends of mine were on holiday in Enniskillen and took me and my local family on a day-long boat trip on the lough. One of the most beautiful places in Ireland. I never realised that Catalinas had been based there during WWII. (and why not; Lough Erne is huge).
    Thanks for the memories.
    All these were ferried over via North Atlantic route. Here are a few links you might find interesting. Scroll down for photos.

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/war-air...killadeas.html

Quite a number of 'Cats' and their crews were lost. Here's a link about that. May they rest in peace.

http://www.joeoloughlin.co.uk/?p=71