DH Mosquito

Thread: DH Mosquito

DH Mosquito

Now how many people are going to fly there FSX Mossie or come to think wait for Vertigo Studios piece of work , in the mean time check this out http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/2012-09-24-video-5101399 and move along to 13:00 minutes

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ian,

Thanks for the news and the link, but the latter only works for people in New Zealand. But not all is lost as the clip has been put on Youtube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuMm-SN6geY

Martin

The link works fine here in South Wales, thanks for posting it was a really interesting clip. An aircraft that has been missing from the skies (both real and virtual) for far too long now.

Good one Ian Thanks for the heads up
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks Ian for the heads up on the Mosquito. Wonderful video. Hope to see a follow up when she returns to the skies.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thanks guys , unfortunate for us the aircraft is going off shore , it debut is to be at an airshow at Ardmore south Auckland this Saturday the 29th, has been hopes they could do a New Zealand tour before heading away so its a finger crossed here, i have not followed up on who brought it or were it is going .
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I believe it's going to Jerry Yagen's Fighter Factory warbird museum in Virginia Beach.

N.

I will be there on Saturday to hopefully see it fly!....the newly restored Avro Anson will also be attendance so looking forward to that as well...taking my camera so will post pics here

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ok you have my attention

IM STILLALIVEH
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingManNeil View Post
    I believe it's going to Jerry Yagen's Fighter Factory warbird museum in Virginia Beach.
    Crikey has one hell off a collection , notice they even have a flying bomb ..the V1 now who fly's that during the airshows

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

IM STILLALIVEH
    You may get to see a lot more of it than the rest off us , a cheap bus ticket flight across the US of A .... guess i'm just going have to settle for the Antarctic season opening show at Christchurch Intl , USAF C-17 and LC130s and a few others .... and no mossies to bite BUGGER !

Widely known as the "Wooden Wonder" among a large group of other positive descriptions, the DeHaviland Mosquito was not only one of the most unique aircraft, but one of the single most effective of the war.

How many people knew that beyond the widely known plywood skin, that the skin was, in fact, a sandwiched layer? In between two layers of plywood was a core of concrete! It was a very thin layer, but it added significant strength without a sizeable weight penalty. It was so innovative that is provided a new concept about combat aircraft -- it ushered in the concept of what became the deep-penetration attack aircraft, featuring a large bomb load, small crew, and lots of speed and maneuverability.

The Luftwaffe had an open requirement for all German aircraft manufacturers to duplicate the aircraft, and a serious attempt was made, but the prototype (like a lot of German aircraft) was destroyed in a bombing attack. Chances are slim that it would have even matched the Mossie's performance. For most of the war, the Mossie was faster at low altitudes than any German fighter that would have tried to attack it. To put a bomber in war at the time without any defensive armament was considered a very radical idea. But, the reduced size and weight was a prime reason for the speed. Two Merlin engines gave the Mossie an unrivaled power to weight ratio. The structure proved strong and easy to field repair.

Mossies were used in many roles. Strategic bombing, pathfinder target marking missions (which were the lynchpin to the entire RAF night bombing campaign), sea and ground attack, and even aerial interdiction missions where when armed with forward firing cannon, was a lethal interceptor against German bombers. Without bombs, and with a light fuel load, a Mossie could even prove a formidable opponent to a Luftwaffe fighter, especially if the Mossie pilot could attack from behind and above!

The direct legacy of the Mossie is present today in the form of Tornado and F-15E aircraft. It could be accurately said that the Mossie was the world's first multi-role fighter/bomber. Without question, it was the first in this role that truly excelled at it!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    You may get to see a lot more of it than the rest off us , a cheap bus ticket flight across the US of A .... guess i'm just going have to settle for the Antarctic season opening show at Christchurch Intl , USAF C-17 and LC130s and a few others .... and no mossies to bite BUGGER !

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()">

Theres two more on the production line in NZ ...so you might get to see one of those one day Ian

Interesting post Ken....didn't know about the concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    Theres two more on the production line in NZ ...so you might get to see one of those one day Ian

Interesting post Ken....didn't know about the concrete
    Concrete molds and a new invention 'microwaves' speed cook the gluing process .. and a large group of New Zealand wood cutters sent to the UK due their experience , what a turn around , almost making the balsa/plywood a strategic material

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingManNeil View Post

N.
    That's less than a five minute drive for me!!!!!!! I get to see a Mosquito soon!!!!!

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Did not know Vertigo was working on one but I could not think of a more appropriate studio based on recent work.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]