Uiver on the wall.

Thread: Uiver on the wall.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Uiver on the wall.

Last year I visited the Early Birds museum in Lelystad, knowing very well that the DC-2 'Uiver' was going to fly to Austria for an airshow that same day. The early birds museum is located in a hangar next to the taxiway and runway of Lelystad and if the weather's nice they leave the doors open and you are allowed to walk onto their apron where you have an unobstructed view of the aircraft taking off and landing. So as soon as we heard the rumble of the DC-2's engines I changed to my telelens and we all went outside to watch the Uiver fly off.

One of those photos I picked to hang on my wall, but not just as a simple poster.

This is the original photo:

Here it is slightly editted and converted to black and white:

And here it is, printed on a 90 x 60 centimeter (Roughly 3x2 foot) sheet of brushed aluminium on my wall!:

It's hard to capture the shine and depth of this in a photo, but it looks just great!
    Here's a close-up:

Somewhat expensive, but I love it!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Very nice!

The brushed aluminium makes the aircraft parts look very realistic while the rest makes it look like it is flying over water.

You may want to watch out for oxidation of the surface over time though if it isn't clear-coated to seal it.
    Larry

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Thanks Larry! According to the site I ordered it from it can be used both in- and outside and it is sunlight resistant and waterproof.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

SOH-CM-2024
    That is most nice Ferry.

Here is the states, there is an online business called Mpix, that will print on metallic paper, at least that is what they call it. I have had a lot of success with local Danville businesses selling framed enlargements for there offices using this type of print medium.