Some Dora-9 Progress Shots
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Some Dora-9 Progress Shots

Some Dora-9 Progress Shots

Alessandro is closing in on finishing the Fw190D-9 paint layout - about 95% done - so it's a good time to show off a bit.
    Here's some unedited FSX shots, only some cropping done.
    Note some things may change further down the road.

Mathias

Great great job Alessandro, some lovely weathering and oil effects too !!

Love the spinner.

A work of art

Real interesting how they got that engine on her. You can see by the shapes and lines on the nose which have all been captured wonderfully.

SOLD!! Will buy the second it comes out.

Poetry in motion. The 'D' series was a beautiful design. You sure are doing justice to it. Well done.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

sweet!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

So looking forward to this
    that looks the right mix of deadly and graceful
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by P38man View Post

Real interesting how they got that engine on her. You can see by the shapes and lines on the nose which have all been captured wonderfully.
    Yes p38man, that's one of the really interesting parts of this project to see how the original Anton airframe developed over the time.
    If you compare the Dora to the older designs you can see were construction groups have been replaced or added.
    Becomes very obvious when viewing them side by side.

Here's the D-9 alongside the ancestor of them all, the A-1.

And here's some showing the D-9 with the last of the Anton's, the A-9.

Mathias

OUTSTANDING!!, I was hoping htat you would do the Dora series. I will be waiting inline to get her as soon as they are released.

Thanks

Although I like Anton a lot, D9 is always breathtaking-->WOW What a racer now!!And the TA's are still a step further

Roland

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Hello Matthias,<o></o>
    <o></o>
    I will surely buy her!<o></o>
    <o></o>
    It seems difficult to arrive at an accurate flight model since as far as I know there are no long-noses flying anymore. How do you do that?<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Will we be able to remove the centreline pylon or is it part of the airframe?<o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Hello Matthias,<o></o>
    <o></o>
    I will surely buy her!<o></o>
    <o></o>
    It seems difficult to arrive at an accurate flight model since as far as I know there are no long-noses flying anymore. How do you do that?<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Will we be able to remove the centreline pylon or is it part of the airframe?<o></o>
    Hello stickshaker,

like with the Anton you will be able to remove the pylon.
    This time we'll make it more comfortable though by means of a payload manager like we used it with the Bf108.

As you may know we use the services of AvHistory for the aerodynamics.
    Of course there are many pilot anekdotes around as well as wartime testing reports with loads of hard numbers, mostly old Rechlin test center reports which Avhistory of course does use,
    but it all starts with the 3d model to predict flight behaviour based on established real world industry-wide used calculation models such as USAF DATCOM and Roscam.
    There are not any surprises today below MACH so this method is the most accurate anyway rather than tweaking parameters by hand just to get a certain parameter to match a certain opinion.
    Having said that, pilot and test reports serve to verify the outcome of the calculated predictions or to put them into perspective rather than taking them for granted as the holy grail.
    Mathias

Looking great Mathias! Need anymore beta tester's?

Very nice Mathias, great work by you and Alx! I feel sorry for Schnauffer though, he's still waiting for his 110G4,lol

Amazing! Keep fingers for next progress Mathias!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Having said that, pilot and test reports serve to verify the outcome of the calculated predictions or to put them into perspective rather than taking them for granted as the holy grail.
    That is clear, Matthias, thank you.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Personally I particularly value the ‘feel’ of a plane. Of course performance should be more or less on the numbers, but I find it, for example, much more important that the angle of attack and the view out of the cockpit are correct during landings, and that if a plane has a tendency to bounce in reality, that it also bounces in the sim, than whether the landing speed is exactly right in terms of knots. Can you perhaps tell us a bit of the peculiarities of the Dora and Ta-152 that we will find in your new plane? I think many of us would be interested in that.

Well, the "feel" of an aircraft comes from accurately calculated moments of inertia from what I've been told but I'll leave that debatte to the more competent experts.
    I'm sure Greg Pierson of Avhistory will pop in and and comment on the aerofiles when time has come.
    Mathias

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Now the Dora is coming. Is going to be a fantastic little collection there. For me it always looks odd with the exhaust ports so low on the nose, but the Germans sure liked building their V engines upside down.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Charter Member 2012
    Great work - cant wait to fly it

Well, the "feel" of an aircraft comes from accurately calculated moments of inertia from what I've been told but I'll leave that debatte to the more competent experts.
    I'm sure Greg Pierson of Avhistory will pop in and and comment on the aerofiles when time has come.
    It also has to do with the control system and how the rates, feedback etc are designed into it. For instance, who would have guessed that the XP-77 was considered one of the best handling airplanes by the pilots who flew it? I didn't know until I read an article with some info on some pilot reports.

Thanks for the preview pics. I'm so looking forward to this. BTW, I don't recall, will it just include the Ta-152H-1, or is the Ta-152C included as well? I think you said there were too few built; whereas, at least the Ta-152H-1 saw some action.

Sundog, airplanes include the D-9, D-11, D-13, Ta152H-0 and H-1.
    Mathias

Sundog, airplanes include the D-9, D-11, D-13, Ta152H-0 and H-1.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Personally I think the D-9 is the best looking of the late model FW-190s. It is nicely stretched, which gives it very smooth lines, but still has something of the the bulky aggressive look of the earlier model.

Cheers,
    Huub

First time I ever got a hands on look at a TA152 was at the Chaplain Fighter Museum at Falcon Field near Phoenix. That plane and the F2G Corsair are now at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

MOI does affect the feel of flight, but more complicated is the reaction(and effectiveness) of the controls and aerodynamic ballance at varying airspeeds, and the speed stability which is affected by induced pitch moment vrs dynamic pressure.

I am sure it will be a nice plane when complete!

T

I've been very excited about this news, and I look forward to seeing the project as it continues to develop! It's especially nice to see these aircraft being developed by Classics Hangar, knowing that they'll be done to perfection, with such a level of care and attention to detail in the visuals.

Tom, the example you saw was a Fw-190D-13. As you mention, it was owned by the Champlin Fighter Museum for quite some time. They used to do periodic engine runs with the aircraft (one of which can be seen in a Youtube video). The aircraft was fully restored to airworthy condition by GossHawk restorations, and after the Champlin Museum closed up shop, the aircraft was sent to the Museum of Flight in Seattle, where it went on display for a time. A few years back the aircraft was purchased by Paul Allen for his Flying Heritage Collection, where it can now be seen, located at Paine Field. Although the aircraft was restored to flying condition, it has and will remain un-flown. (One of the unique things about the restoration, was that for many years the aircraft's wing didn't belong - i.e., it wasn't the wing, nor the wing type, that it was originally manufactured with. It was found that its wing was actually in the possession of the NMUSAF, mounted to the museum's Fw-190D-9, and the wing fitted to the Champlin 109 actually belonged to the NMUSAF example (having been accidentally swapped decades beforehand). When the Champlin aircraft was restored, the wings were traded and now both aircraft have their original wings once more (though as a result, you can see that the paint finish on the NMUSAF Fw-190D-9 doesn't match up between the wings and fuselage).)

Note the white walls on the tail wheel tire - this indicates that the rubber tire is designed to dissipate static electricity from the aircraft, acting as a grounding wire. Also note the finish on the bottom of the wing - the forward half is bare metal, where as the rear half is painted.

Because of the lack of available resources at the time the aircraft was originally manufactured during WWII, items like the flaps and some access panels were lined with wood, due to a shortage of metal.

It is going to be such a great plane

Bomber_12th - always love reading your informative posts, love the background history on any aircraft and learning about it, Thanks :salute:
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day