P2V-5/7 Neptune Air Tankers for FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P2V-5/7 Neptune Air Tankers for FSX

P2V-5/7 Neptune Air Tankers for FSX

Hi, my name is Bill and I have been working for some timenow on the P2V-5 and -7 Lockheed Neptune’s that were converted for use as airtankers. I am in need if some help finding good cockpit photos that show all ofthe gauges used and even the Pilot's handbook and Operating manual, anything atthis point would be a big help so I can complete the models and get themreleased to all to enjoy. This is some of my WIP shots.

Attachment 70565Attachment 70564Attachment 70563Attachment 70567Attachment 70568

Thank you
    Bill

Hi ya Bill , Neptune's .. I do have a lot off photo material on the early models and its history but nothing on the firebombers internals , I do have a couple of large volumes of the aircraft best authored is Wayne Mutza , another good source for reference and have a pilots manual is www.flight.manuals-on-cd.com , i have this CD but shows little more than what you need to no .

I almost got on board Australia's HARS P2 , but this was closed down due to a laps in security .. two kids got in the office and decided they wanted bits and pieces , fortunate they got stopped but so did i , maybe contact them for further photo information .

This aircraft is one that has an appealing look to it , i did start a photoreal paint of the Alphasim P2 .. I should pull that out in the next couple days and post it . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Hi ya Bill , Neptune's .. I do have a lot off photo material on the early models and its history but nothing on the firebombers internals , I do have a couple of large volumes of the aircraft best authored is Wayne Mutza , another good source for reference and have a pilots manual is www.flight.manuals-on-cd.com , i have this CD but shows little more than what you need to no .

I almost got on board Australia's HARS P2 , but this was closed down due to a laps in security .. two kids got in the office and decided they wanted bits and pieces , fortunate they got stopped but so did i , maybe contact them for further photo information .

This aircraft is one that has an appealing look to it , i did start a photoreal paint of the Alphasim P2 .. I should pull that out in the next couple days and post it . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden" jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden">
    Thank you, I will look in to contacting them about their Australia's HARS P2. That's too bad about the CD, I will keep searching the Web for the photos I need.

Thank You

Bill

have you attempted to contact neptune aviation?..and ask them if they have any info they are willing to help with?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    have you attempted to contact neptune aviation?..and ask them if they have any info they are willing to help with?
    I have not, but I have contacted Minden Air corp. and every time they say that their aircraft are out of state. Thanks.

Take a peek through this Warbird/Airtanker thread; some good detail pics plus a couple of good P-2 cockpit shots...
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=37751

And, as long as we're talking tankers, check out this thread; tons of '60s California "ramp rat" tanker pics... Avengers, B-17s, PBYs, S-2 Trackers, F7F Tigercats, you name it. 10 pages of Airtanker Goodness.
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...p?f=23&t=40156

And then there's this thread; started as a post by a tanker pilot from the '70s-'80s regarding a single engine landing in a B-17... but the thread evolves into 9 pages of pics (Neptunes included!) and airtanker flying stories. Epic...
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=18840

Seriously, you could waste a few hours reading those forum threads, really good stuff.

Thank you for the links, the one link had some good photo. I love those old tanker photo, makes my wount to build them all.

WIP shots of the exterior, added some antennas and littledetails to get the exterior looking a little better.
    Attachment 70714
    Attachment 70715

Looking Great Bill ! .. Going thru my library yesterday and found many Neptune's in this role still had glazed nose's and tip tanks , you model got me mucking around with the old Alphasim , giving it a replacement metal texture from one of the many photos i have here , figured be ideal to tweak areas slightly to maybe make a historical USN or other air forces .
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The Virtavia version is half-off at PC Aviator. Coincidence? I think I'll hold off.

Bill, when you get your air tankers worked up to your satisfaction...
    What are the chances of your doing an older version P2V such as a -4 (solid nose, six 20mm) or a -5 (Emerson nose turret, two 20mm) with the .50cal dorsal and 20mm tail gun positions?

The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, Pennsylvania, US has a military Neptune.
    Considering that they used to be involved in flight simulator addon development, they may be willing to help you with research.

http://www.maam.org/neptune/p2_1.html

And I'd add...

...a plain old -5F with no nose turret. Just a typical ASW -5F.

This thing looks GREAT!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Bill, when you get your air tankers worked up to your satisfaction...
    What are the chances of your doing an older version P2V such as a -4 (solid nose, six 20mm) or a -5 (Emerson nose turret, two 20mm) with the .50cal dorsal and 20mm tail gun positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, Pennsylvania, US has a military Neptune.
    Considering that they used to be involved in flight simulator addon development, they may be willing to help you with research.

http://www.maam.org/neptune/p2_1.html
    TARPSBird, as much as I would like to do the navy birdsright now I am putting all my work into the fire tankers right now and maybedown the road I will do them just not at this time.

SeanTK, I have sent out an email in regards to the p2v-7 they have and stillhave not heard anything back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BillgjCook View Post
    TARPSBird, as much as I would like to do the navy birdsright now I am putting all my work into the fire tankers right now and maybedown the road I will do them just not at this time.
    Roger that Bill, thanks for the reply. Press on with those tankers. :salute:

Sorry for digging up an old thread. And sorry for an "Any updates?" post...

...but...

Any updates?

I grew up watching Aero Union P2V's fight fires near my house and would love to fly one in FSX!

Well, I'm not surprised there is no response. But deep down inside there was a little hope for an update.

I hope all is well and the project is still moving forward!

I am sorry for not responding sooner, life events and long work weeks have all but ended my flight simming at this time, as much as I would like to continue the project I just don't have any spare time to put in to it to make it right. I do have the models and the gmax files if anyone would like to continue with them. I am sorry to just leave you all hanging with no updates.

Real life sure does take our attention sometimes, doesn't?

How much work is left? Unfortunately it may be beyond my abilities, but maybe someone else can pick it up and run with it.

Manual Source

Check out this site http://www.avialogs.com/ it has various Neptune Manuals including IPC & FM. To download just sign up pay a small fee and during your membership you will have access to all material on pdf that can also be downloaded. Hope this helps.

Your model

Quote Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post

How much work is left? Unfortunately it may be beyond my abilities, but maybe someone else can pick it up and run with it.
    May be interested in doing that, was this a going to be Freeware or Payware. Send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post

Malibu43 I was in the proses of building 3D gauges for the VC and mapping it also, it has been a wile but I believe that the external models have been completed and mapped.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbr2005 View Post
    May be interested in doing that, was this a going to be Freeware or Payware. Send me a PM.
    Dougbr2005 it will be freeware only as I don't have the skills needed to make payware models. Shoot me a PM with your email and how you would like to transfer the files. I just ask that you include all that have helped with this project, and I will provide all that info at the time of file transfer.

If we are short on resources to model 3D gages, we could always just point to stock FSX gages, right? I know they may not be 100% accurate, but it's an option if gages become the gating item. Plus it's easy; even I've done it!